OT: Two firefighters shot and killed in Webster,NY

Page 3 of 8
On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 12:02:43 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Clueless.

DO know of stuff being stolen from cars outside of stations when everyone is out at the fire. Even in the Big City.

Kinda irrelevant if it's WITH HIM, no? <sheesh>

To my experience, having them locked up in the car, anyway, is not terribly unusual for cops who are also volunteer firefighters. You respond from whereever you are and if that is from the mall and you are armed off-duty, where else are you going to go.

Probably not. It isn't all that rare, especially outside the more urban areas, that the cops are coming from much greater distances than the fire department. Was in the largest geographic county in Indiana (Allen) and it wasn't at all unusual to have the nearest cop 10-15 or more miles away. Even in Indy, the fire station may be a block or two away while the sector car could be a few miles away. If they hadn't been dispatched at the same time, that might be a good question.

Where I live, the patrolling police are usually at a scene a few minutes before volunteer ambulances or firemen. 5.2 sq miles, population 32,000.
--
Best regards
Han

I meant to add, I have been underestimating how the differences in population density in the US change the way people (need to) think and act. I do appreciate to more fully understand things from the wide perspective the rec affords ...
--
Best regards
Han

He's going to carry going in to fight a fire??????
I doubt it.

In much of the state, it's a requirement of the job.

Please explain why someone who is about to get (intentionally or unintentionally) really, really close to flames should be carrying a firearm and ammunition on him? I (naive as I am) was under the impression that ammunition really shouldn't get too hot.
--
Best regards
Han
On 12-25-2012 21:36, Han wrote:

I would not expect someone to take ammunition into the scene of a fire, but they won't be going into the building unless people are inside and even then they will take high-velocity fog or other means of reducing flame and heat.
Enough heat to cause bullets to fire is more than enough to seriously injure the human even if he wasn't carrying.
--
Wes Groleau

“Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
On 12/25/2012 10:22 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Only if the ammo was in a gun barrel when it went off. Tests have shown that consumer ammunition is stopped by a fireman's turnout coat and face shield when it goes off in a fire. Extensive test have been performed with tens of thousands of rounds of consumer grade ammo. The types of ammunition used by the military is something completely different and much more dangerous and is something civilian firemen are not likely to encounter. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAK2dDQ-S4Q

TDD

Thanks. That (and other replies) do clarify. Still ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/26/2012 8:19 PM, Han wrote:

You could still get injured if you're not wearing a face shield or heavy coat. I've been wearing eyeglasses since I was six years old and if not for my eyeglasses, I could have lost an eye many times because of all the nutty things I did as a young mad scientist. ^_^
TDD

I was wondering about ammo. One day in army life, doing stuff with radio planes, I got sent out with ordinance man. We got to blow up a bunch of old stuff. Large 20 mm shells, some kind of rockets, I forget what was all in there we were throwing c4 around, putting that around top of pile. After all set we were shoveling desert sand on top. I got out of this rather large hole in the desert floor first, then he would light fuse and drive out. Then we got the big bang. I didn't really enjoy all that, but remember well. McGregor range NM.
Greg

Before I used corrective glasses I was unlucky enough to get a small droplet of "chromic acid" in an eye. Now that cleaning solutions like that are illegal, no one can have the same experience anymore ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 12/27/2012 7:47 AM, Han wrote:

How did we survive childhood Han? Making everything so safe is allowing the stupid to survive and procreate thus the IQ of the population is at an all time low. I could make a political crack about it but I see it as a serious problem that threatens our very survival. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 08:11:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas

We survived with our immune systems in tact, unlike the sterilized children today.
wrote: ^

That is one of the theories about the rise of auto-immune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, etc. Vaccines, etc., meant the immune system did not have enough to keep it occcupied so it went out looking for things to attack.
On 12-27-2012 11:52, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Interesting hypothesis, but not very likely. A vaccine IS something for the immune system to practice attacking.
A more credible hypothesis is that the immune systems have become more violent due to all that combat training. :-)
--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Because of the sterility of infant environments, the immune system isn't learning as much as it should. Because of overuse of antibiotics, "superbugs" are created. Because of crazy synthetics (such as ones with hormone action), our systems go wacko.
--
Best regards
Han