OT, Twinkies Revisited

It is reported that the bankruptcy judge asked Hostess and the Bakers etc union to agree to a mediation effort. So in this "war" of posturing, there may be a solution after all.
--
Best regards
Han

I think it is the judge that is posturing since it isn't Hostess and Bakers any more as much as it where would they get any more money to leave bankruptcy.
Workers and the company have agreed to mediation:) Hostess will live again
On 11/19/12 5:22 PM, bob haller wrote:

Doesn't that just mean they'll yap at each other through an intermediary? Binding arbitration might be better.
My understanding of the problem is that Hostess is heavily in debt, and with the growing trend towards eating "healthy", that situation's only gonna get worse as people opt to snack on fresh vegetables instead of Twinkies.
An arbitrator can set a reasonable wage for the workers, but as long as the science keeps pointing toward junk food and lack of exercise as the cause of the obesity trend in kids, there's gonna be less and less demand for Twinkies, and it'll be progressively harder to make a buck selling products like that. So, the creditors that own Hostess' debt want to liquidate the company now so that they can recoup more of their investment.
And, I for one, can understand the creditor's point of view. If I owned a tabacco company, I'd think it'd be better to sell it now rather than continue to operate under progressively more hostile conditions as the science finds more and more health problems associated with second hand smoke, and the government putts more and more restrictions on where, when and how I can advertise my product.
--
nestork

Yet look at the profits this year alone for Altria (the old Philip-Morris), and Lorillard.

So how do CEO, uppermanagement and average worker salaries compare between Altria's tobacco wing, Lorillard and Hostess? Total sales would be useful as well.
--
Best regards
Han

How would they be useful?
nestork wrote:

Not all their products are junk food. Wonder Bread, for example, has been thrilling mothers for decades as they watch their snowflakes develop strong bones.
Hostess has an immense infrastructure - umpty-ump bakeries, trucks, etc. They could simply reformulate some of their products:
* New Twinkie (with apologies to New Coke) - A delicious sponge-cake outer layer surrounding a stalk of celery! Delicious, and good for you too.
And more ...
On 11/20/12 11:04 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Peanut butter on a celery stick surrounded by a whole bunch of chocolate stuff. White frosting on top, of course.