OT, Twinkies Revisited

Page 1 of 5
When I heard about the possibility of Twinkies going away, something told me this would happen. ^_^
http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news/companies/hostess-twinkies-ebay/index.html
http://tinyurl.com/chmub3e
TDD

Anyone with a supply of Twinkies on the shelf need not be worried, however. Those things will last for years.
Tomsic
Don't tell me, the right to keep and bear twinkies is about to end?
Anyone with a supply of Twinkies on the shelf need not be worried, however. Those things will last for years.
Tomsic
On Nov 16, 3:31pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

"While the company was filing for bankruptcy, for the second time, earlier this year, it actually tripled its CEOs pay, and increased other executives compensation by as much as 80 percent."
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2012/11/16/1203151/why-unions-dont-shoulder-the-blame-for-hostesss-downfall/?mobile=nc

The CEO and board of directors that allows it should be out of a job. Maybe even jail time for extortion or stealing.
Ed Pawlowski formulated on Friday :

Was Romney involved,after all that is how he made his big bucks.
--
I agree
The common curse of mankind, folly

Sorry - it was a venture capital firm owned by a major Democratic contributor. Funny, isn't it?

And one of the consultants who helped put the first exit from the first bankruptcy together was Richard Gephardt... who is a union consultant.

Huh? Where do you get extortion or theft? Aren't they under the control of the bankruptcy court?
How does that work now?
If Twinkies were Hostess' best selling product, and Hostess is no longer gonna be producing them, what's to stop every other bakery from producing their own version of Twinkies.
I don't know if food product like that are subject to patents, but even if they are, I expect the patent on Twinkies would have expired decades ago.
--
nestork

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 06:10:46 +0000, nestork

When Hostess sells the licensing & recipe to Twinkies [and a few others] the new owner will have to protect the patent just like Hostess did.

I used the wrong term-- Trademark is the right one, I think. and there will be a big deal over 'Axaj' no has the original recipe so accept no substitutes. Others can call their product Toonkie, or Twinkle Toes-- but only Ajax has the name and recipe.
Jim

That is exactly what will happen. The rights to the names, trademarks, etc will be sold off, will be highly desirable and picked up by a competitor. I'll bet within months Twinkies will be back on the shelves, one way or another.
This story is just another example of the entitlement culture that's been created. These union workers chose to have the company shut down instead of taking pay and benefit cuts. With unemployment, benefits extending for years, food stamps, free or subsidized healthcare about to arrive, hell, why not?

It'll be one of the two big non-union bakeries, Bimbo or McKee (Little Debbie). I'm thinking it'll be Little Debbie, maker of some of the worst snack cakes imaginable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. There's another brand sold in sourthern US states who's name escapes me right now that isn't very good either.

I remember trying little Debbie once, and never went back. Might have to. Can't do the ho's.
Greg

Do yourself a favor, get your junk food at a grocery store bakery. I suspect that may be part of Hostess's problem, along with the self serve gas pump credit card reader that keeps us out of the junk food store.
On 11/17/12 7:51 PM, gregz wrote:

You might be doing the Bimbos. The Mexican company is supposedly interested in acquiring Hostess. http://tinyurl.com/bcb3pvg The company is called Grupo Bimbo.

That is exactly what will happen. The rights to the names, trademarks, etc will be sold off, will be highly desirable and picked up by a competitor. I'll bet within months Twinkies will be back on the shelves, one way or another.
This story is just another example of the entitlement culture that's been created. These union workers chose to have the company shut down instead of taking pay and benefit cuts. With unemployment, benefits extending for years, food stamps, free or subsidized healthcare about to arrive, hell, why not?
{{
Hostess is on it's second (third?) bankruptcy. It was bought out by venture capitalist. It was going down hill before the first bankruptcy and the slide continued/accelerated under the new management. (the buy out was highly leveraged)
Management gave itself rises and bonuses of up to 300% then demanded more cuts from labor. (some were at minimum wage but management pushed for more). Company stopped funding contractual obligations to pensions and other benefits a year or so back. Now those obligations will be passed to the Tax payers.
I've been watching the company for a few years (HQ is located in my back yard) and I'm surprised it made it this far.

"Entitlement": Noun:
1. The fact of having a right to something. 2. The amount to which a person has a right.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm quite sure there are no patents involved in the Twinkle, or Wonder Bread. There are probably a pile of trade secrets and certainly trademarks that will bring money but any patents would have expired *LONG* ago.