OT TV commercials are louder than the shows

Page 2 of 2

lowes went bankrupt and was sold to AMC at least locally, but I believe nationwide.
the shopping channels PAY for carriage, the pay X bucks to be on each provider unless they are a local OTA channel. in which case they get carried for free or near free.
this info from satellite tv interests of mine

Probably because they didn't show enough commercials before the movies.
Just kidding. I'm sure there are many more likely reasons.
Terry wrote:

liked to say, "Television is not a communications medium; it is an advertising medium."
Paul in San Francisco
You can only go so high in audio without causing other problems. However, commercials see to it that they use the highest volume as much as possible. Having worked for years in a volunteer community TV station, it's real hard to get all the audio right .... 75 volunteers have their audio all over the place. Comcast, on their analog signals can't even get the audio from one channel to the next to be even close in volume. But if you "compress" the audio, that is bring the lowest level audio higher and then make the overall signal as loud as possible without affecting the signal quality (i.e. the video, etc.) is can sound louder.
Paul MR wrote:

Back in the 70's, the FCC (I believe) ruled that tv stations were required to reduce the high limit on commercials to 50% of what the program was running, due to the perception that the "fast talking or screaming" commercials were louder. We used to have the engineer at master control sitting all day with his hand on the rheostat that controlled the output. I'm sure it's all automatic, now, and thus no longer controlled. I visited a tv station recently and where we used to have 4 employees running the show, there was only one.
Tom G

Notice that DVDs start with commercials. There's ads for other movies, and that "FBI" sh*t is several languages.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com