OT TV commercials are louder than the shows

I don't know if this is just Maryland, or nationwide, or what, but the announced time for movies to start will soon be when the movie starts, and not when the trailers start.

One can't tell it from my posting habits here, but I feel a compulsion to get to the movies at the listed time, even though I know I can allow X minutes for trailers. I never even try to learn how long X is. How long is it?

Of course, I would really prefer continuous showings, along with travelogues, news, and cartoons. Sometimes when I was little they would have a whole hour of cartoons before the movie.

Reply to
mm

There is a god! Hope it spreads nationwide.

Approx 15 min.

Reply to
aspasia

Notice that DVDs start with commercials. There's ads for other movies, and that "FBI" sh*t is several languages.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Old news:

Loews theater chain has promised to put a disclaimer in future ads letting viewers know the start time listed actually means the start of previews. A Chicago-area woman sued Loews Cineplex Theaters two years ago after she saw "The Quiet American" at one of the chain's theaters. A state appellate court dismissed the suit Friday, ruling that Loews has solved the problem.

Miriam Fisch claimed that she was forced to sit through minutes of commercials. CEO Executive Travis Reid promised the chain will show only previews of coming attractions after the advertised start time.

Lawyer Mark Weinberg said Loews has only adopted a voluntary policy that it could drop at any time.

"These things go on for 20, 25 minutes, with theaters just getting out of control in exploiting a captive audience," Weinberg said. "In our fast-paced society, time is precious and when somebody steals 25 minutes of your time, there's something wrong with that -- though the courts don't seem interested in stopping it from happening."

An Illinois legislator responded to Loews pledge by dropping plans to introduce a bill demanding honesty on movie start times.

I didn't find new news on this.

Wow. I'll probably learn to get there 15 minutes late just about the time that they start starting at the listed time!

Reply to
mm

lowes went bankrupt and was sold to AMC at least locally, but I believe nationwide.

the shopping channels PAY for carriage, the pay X bucks to be on each provider unless they are a local OTA channel. in which case they get carried for free or near free.

this info from satellite tv interests of mine

Reply to
hallerb

Probably because they didn't show enough commercials before the movies.

Just kidding. I'm sure there are many more likely reasons.

Reply to
mm