OT: "Tupperware" et ilk

Page 1 of 2
The "old" Tupperware products seemed to be made of a "softer" (more flexible) plastic (Ed P??). The newer (competitor) offerings all seem to be much harder/stiffer.
I.e., prying the lid off a Rubbermaid container is considerably more difficult than a similarly sized/shaped Tupperware container. The Rubbermaid adheres until it *pops* off; the Tupperware sort of *peels* off!
SWMBO is in a losing battle with the newer (non-Tupperware) products. There are many, now, that try to enlarge the "tab" that you need to pry loose to remove the cover. But, all seem to use that "stiff" plastic.
Or, employ "plastic hinges" -- that you KNOW are going to fail, over time!
Apparently, Tupperware still sells product (!). Anyone with experience as to how the old stuff compares to the new in this regard?
Or, suggestions for alternative "RE-sealable products"? In the past, I've had pieces that were shaped like loaves of bread (narrow, long, deep); large enough to serve cakes (I have one that is actually designed for that purpose); large and square (as if to store *two* loaves, side by side), etc.
Plus, the usual assortment of round cup/pint/quart/half sizes...
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:36:44 -0700, Don Y

i know how you feel but some plastics do seem indestructable.
20 years ago I went to Cocoa Beach and we went to the spacecraft center and Sea World and Disney World and the cattle auction and one more thing in the tourist guide, the Food Preservation Museum. That sounded so good. I thought I'd learn the history and mechanics of canning and freezing. Instead there was one big room with glass cases and clay pots with lids from thousands of years ago, stuff like I'd already seen and not really different from modern clay pots.
That was where we waited until the tour started, and the tour was entirely of Tupperware. I was so ticked off. When we got back to the aparment I called them and complained, and I wrote them later to complain. It should be called the Tupperware museum; then I'd know not to go. The other people seemed to know what they were going to see, but maybe they were just polite like I was in front of them.
And they sold the stuff there too. One big commercial. And very little if anything even about the history and development of Tupperware.

There are quite a few competitors to Tupperware. Glad makes some sizes, and ther are no-names, which I had assumed didnt' work as well, buit if Tw doesn't work well now either..... What a shame.
Personally, if there's a left-over, I eat it. It's a problem.
On 12/19/2015 10:03 AM, Micky wrote:

A few years back new people in the new house across the street invited most of the neighbors for a housewarming. We went thinking it would be nice to meet both old and new neighbors. Turned out to be a housewares selling party of some sort. We bought nothing, just thought it was a tacky idea.
On Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 7:42:03 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Good way to quickly make new enemies of most everyone in your 'hood!
On 12/19/2015 11:02 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

With tackies like that, don't need em as associates.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

good way of making good neighbors.

They seem to have changed their name to the Tupperware Brands Confidence Center. That's a lot better than the Food Storage Museum. When I"m not asking for something for myself, I tend to write really abrasive complaint letters**, because I doubt polite ones have much affect. So maybe I played a part in their changing their name. http://www.visitorlando.com/things-to-do/arts-culture-and-history/Tupperware-Brands-Confidence-Center/35349/
**About 20 years ago, Disney was advertising one of their movies on CD or tape and it said to buy now because it would never be sold again. Now plainly they were lying, and so I wrote to them that they would be known as "the company that lies to childen" and that the children who begged their parents to buy the movie because it would never be sold again would remember when they were adults that Disney was a liar, and would never buy anything from them. Within two weeks the commercials changed to saying "won't be sold again for a very long time.".

That is tacky. All of those schemes where people impose on their friends to buy things are tacky. Especially if they could afford to buy the house. If they couldn't afford it, they shoudl have bought a cheaper one. Did you end up being friends with them anyhow?

Indeed. But look at the good-side: you quickly know how to classify the new neighbors.
On 12/19/2015 08:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My wife got dragged into a couple of those Tupperware or Avon things. She had missed Housewife 101 on the way to her graduate degree and had no more idea of how to handle it than I.
Then there was the evening we had partaken of a certain illicit substance and a flock of neighborhood wives showed up to welcome us. I cut and ran leaving her to deal with it. I did some completely inexcusable things to that woman...
On 12/19/2015 4:42 PM, rbowman wrote:

Oh, I want to hear the rest of this story!
--
Maggie

On 12/19/2015 10:08 PM, Muggles wrote:

The part where I caught hell after coming home and apologizing for leaving her with the harridans? We were friendly with the couple next door who were stoners but the rest of the neighborhood looked like the Stepford Wives.
In truth neither of us were cut out for suburbia, 2.1 kids, and a station wagon in the garage.
On 12/20/2015 12:50 AM, rbowman wrote:

Now, you've got me hooked! Did you have kids?
--
Maggie

On 12/20/2015 09:31 PM, Muggles wrote:

Not a chance. For one thing my wife was a not very well controlled T1 and bearing a child wouldn't have done her much good, let alone the possible problems with the kid.
Honestly, I can't see either of us as parents. They say you grow into it but there's too many examples of parents that never did grow into the role.
On 12/21/2015 1:47 AM, rbowman wrote:

Admirable that you did that.
On 12/21/2015 12:47 AM, rbowman wrote:

T1 = type 1 diabetic?
--
Maggie

On 12/21/2015 09:10 PM, Muggles wrote:

Yes.
On 12/19/2015 3:42 PM, rbowman wrote:

We tend to have pretty stiff ideas as to what's "proper" and what constitutes a RUDE "imposition".
One neighbor, with whom we rarely interact, out-of-the-blue invited SWMBO to a baby shower for their niece (! not one of their *kids*!). Granted, the niece had an incredibly dysfunctional family so our neighbor had somewhat recently assumed the role of "mom and dad". But, *we* had no relationship with niece and very casual relaationship with the neighbors.
So, it came across as "please give a baby gift to our niece -- and we'll give you a piece of cake, in return!" Tough call. In the end, we had more sympathy for the niece than animosity towards the neighbors for this imposition.
The daughter of another neighbor -- with whom we are pretty close -- got married 14 months ago. (but, who's counting?). Small wedding/reception just for their (the kids') friends and immediate family. So, we didn't feel slighted for NOT being invited! (Whew! Can you imagine spending an afternoon with a bunch of "youngsters"?)
But, as we are relatively close with the neighbor (parents), we took it upon ourselves to hand-deliver a card with some cash for The Newlyweds-to-Be.
Fourteen months later and the daughter (nor her now husband of 14 months) have yet to acknowledge the "unsolicited" gift. SWMBO is bullsh*t at this "breach of etiquette". Me, I just <shrug> -- but, make a mental note (i.e., don't expect us at your baby shower! :> )

Shortly after moving in, here, the local LDS "missionaries" came-a-knocking. All smiley face and interested in my "religious perversions". I'm sure I couldn't hide my disgust with "strangers" coming, unannounced, and asking such a "personal" question!
I wonder if I was wearing pants at the time...

And, presumably, some excusable things, as well?! :>
On 12/19/2015 9:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1
Bet they'd have crapped a brick if you, having heard about 'Tupperware', showed up with a Glock ;)

I was curious since I'll probably have the same problem eventually. I found these http://preview.tinyurl.com/hwxpq5s that have a push button. They're canisters that open with a pushbutton. Walmart sells some rectangular containers with locks on the ends. They look like this: http://preview.tinyurl.com/zud92m7 I use the rectangular containers in my pickup to store the little odd nuts, bolts, etc. They do fail but I'm beating them around when I drive on county roads and in fields. My other thought was to use something like the old CeeTee farmer's pliers to open lids.

On 12/19/2015 9:32 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

But, not suited to freezing *or* microwave.
I'm looking for larger containers to store stuff (e.g., individually wrap steaks and then set several of these in a container to "keep them organized" in the freezer) and smaller containers to store "raw materials" (for want of a better word). E.g., I make spaghetti sauce in 16 qt batches and freeze into 2-3C containers. Each eventually comes out of the freezer and heads into the microwave to be thawed and reheated prior to serving.

Hmmm.. that might be a winner! It *looks* like it has a mechanical hinge on each of the "clips"? There are many products that seem to rely on (flexible) plastic hinges which you know will fail from repeated freezing/thaws/flexing.