OT: TSA vs us: Will Americans resist or wimp out?

Page 4 of 16
On 11/21/2010 6:42 AM, George wrote:

You may want to add "non American, no birth certificate having, clueless so called president" to that line.
--
Steve Barker
On 11/21/2010 8:43 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Well, I'll agree on the 'clueless', but as to the rest of it- put down the koolaid already. Do you actually think that if there was any proof that would stand up in court, that the republicans (or rich right-wingers) would not have produced it already? I'm sure they threw a lot of money and smart people into looking for it.
Never ascribe to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity. And if McCain had found a running mate that was smart instead of cute, we might not even be having this discussion. But given his age and health, a lot of people who would otherwise have voted for him, were not willing to take any chances of that dingbat becoming POTUS.
--
aem sends...

Don't you think Hillary would have produced it during the primaries. She killed Vince Foster, so they say, so how could something like this slip by her? The birthers need to bury this one quietly, it has no legs. There are plenty of legit things to worry about with Obama. Concentrate on those.

Stop sounding like my twin brother! I wonder if she could "season up" in four years and handle the job? After all, Ronald proved that it's mostly an acting job, not a real executive position.
-- Bobby G.

<snip>
It's a "I need to believe it" thing.
Jim

Well, it always makes me wonder when someone who normally gives excellent advice on a very wide range of subjects and who clearly has a wide range of experience goes out on one of these limbs. It's like George Allan's "Macaca moment." People suddenly can't hear anything else they're saying, no matter how sensible or appropriate it is. I understand it because have a tendency to take birther-like positions at times on some things near and dear to my heart, but once people point out that I am descending into the paranoid, I back up a bit. Mostly.
The birther thing is not only irrelevant since he's doing the job, it's puzzling. It's as illogical as insisting that Bush didn't win because of the Florida situation requiring a decision from the Supreme Court. I didn't *agree* with that decision, but I believe in the court is the final arbiter in these types of questions. And so I believe that Obama was properly vetted to serve as POTUS. Hillary would have had him killed just like Vince Foster had it been any other way. (-: I would only worry about birth issues if Ahnold suddenly turns up with a NYC birth certificate claiming he's Arnie Blackman.
-- Bobby G.

I'm going to go with "no." Just too much asinine shit has come out of that supposedly cute mouth (I personally don't see it) to make me think that she could ever work up to serious federal office. Likewise McCain has reversed his position on too many things to make himself more appealing to the hard core religious right to make me think that he is in any way suited for office. The Republican party needs to turn back the clock and take a good look at figures like Goldwater if they are going to get any more votes from me.
nate

So you think BO was a better choice?
On Nov 22, 11:13am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

YES.
Note that I did not say "good," just that he was by far the lesser of two weevils.
nate

Amazing!
Simply AMAZING!
wrote in message

<I'm going to go with "no." Just too much asinine shit has come out of that supposedly cute mouth (I personally don't see it) to make me think that she could ever work up to serious federal office.>
Four years is an average college education, so maybe she'll learn enough to make her a different person in 2012. Remember, in America we don't vote for who we like, we vote against who we dislike (mostly). It's equally well known we have very short memories for some things. If people have really had it with Obama, they might turn to Palin just because she's so different from him.
<Likewise McCain has reversed his position on too many things to make himself more appealing to the hard core religious right to make me think that he is in any way suited for office.>
He certainly disappointed me in the Prez race and in his own bid for re-election this year. He clearly will be too old to be considered in 2012 so he's fallen off my radar unless, of course, Palin chooses him as her VP.
<The Republican party needs to turn back the clock and take a good look at figures like Goldwater if they are going to get any more votes from me.>
AuH2O, eh? Hmmmm . . . I wonder what the world would like had he been elected way back when.
-- Bobby G.
On 11/22/2010 1:26 PM Robert Green spake thus:

A terrible place. A global nuclear nightmare, probably, far worse than anything even Ronnie Ray-Gun could have dreamt up.
Though I must say that in later years Barry mellowed into something resembling a decent human being, much like George Wallace. I lived in Arizona during the time we had to endure Evan Meacham's bigoted governership. (Near the end it was just a question of whether he would be impeached, indicted or recalled.) Goldwater was one of the stronger voices urging his removal, even though Meacham was a fellow Republican. Also not bad on Native American matters (specifically, the Navajo-Hopi "land dispute" issue).
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Wasn't Meacham the guy who said: "Sometimes a black man is the BEST man for the cotton-pickin' job!"

.
od> old standard Usenet quoting practices and leave it at that? That way

OK, let's follow that line of reasoning. Reagan, the nuclear cowboy, didn't create a global nuclear nightmare. In large measure, he ended one major facet of it. By standing up to the Russians, he ultimatley achieved the first nuclear arms agreement that eliminated a whole class of nuclear weapons and substanitally reduced the warhead count on both sides. By rebuilding US forces, he created a military race the Russians couldn't compete in. And that, together with showcasing what America and freedom could do, ultimately caused the collapse of the whole Soviet Union, freeing hundreds of millions of people. And the reduction in nuclear arms between Russia and the US, started by Reagan, continues to this day with the latest treaty being proposed by Obama.
So, just imagine what Goldwater could have achieved had he been elected.

.
od> old standard Usenet quoting practices and leave it at that? That way

It was actually LBJ that used just that scare tactic to put the nail in the Goldwater campaign's coffin. Not that anyone seriously thought that Goldwater was anything other than a sacrificial lamb until the repubs seriously had a good shot at getting elected again. Shame that he was probably the best that they had.

Exactly. Conservatism but without bigotry or religious-right knee jerk fundamentalism.
The closest I've seen in recent times was McCain circa Y2K but he subsequently "refudiated" all of the positions that he took back then that made him appealing.
Oddly enough, I was reading a collection of Goldwater's letters a while back and apparently Barry had a favorable opinion of Reagan but always thought that McCain was an opportunistic weasel.
nate
aemeijers wrote:

Ah, but they never had subpoena power before. Come January, however, ...

Yeah....and your average Dick and Jane American really wants that too. <not>
Leave it to the Republicans to do something dumb and shoot themselves in the foot while they are riding high. Where have we seen this before?
Jim

Um, with Democrats?! Just asking.

Seems to be bipartisan.
I was thinking of the Clinton impeachment hearings.
Jim
JimT wrote:

I agree. The Clinton impeachment hearings were the forerunners of the Obama Health Care law. Each side, during its respective push, did what it felt to be the honorable thing, the moral thing, irrespective of the wishes of the general public.