OT: TSA vs us: Will Americans resist or wimp out?

Page 3 of 16

Our Nation's Leader has decided that profiling is not useful. And is not sensetive. We should respect that decision.

Of course, the danger is very real, and we must do what it takes to win the war on terror. Surely, you don't want another 9/11, do you?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40291856/ns/travel-news
Next is a full body cavity search in front of all passengers.
I want to see all the muslim trash have their turbans removed. Have them stand on a lazy susan and twirl them around while the turban comes off.
Then have the muslim trash remove their sheets in front of everyone. Laugh at them all.

That's the most insensetive thing I've heard in a long time. You sound like you want to inflame the peaceful Muslims to war? Is that it?

Get back to work!

There is the matter of some significant percentage of Muslims not being peaceful, but being warriors to what they are taught are their enemies - Israel and their ally USA that is less effective with security than Israel is.
However, I would not advocate profiling Muslims on basis of appearance. As said before, Israel profiles prospective air travellers by behavior. Not skin color, not having or lacking usual Muslim garments, not names, probably only somewhat on basis of national origin, but behavior. How the prospective air travellers deal with both uniformed and plainclothes security agents (posing as not working that job) in conversation is a biggie.
El Al probably also does something better than USA for baggage X-raying and inspecting. Also, does not let a plane take off with baggage whose owner is not aboard - which largely limits airplane bombers to suicide ones - which El Al apparently thinks they can catch before boarding (with very impressive track record).

TSA Supervisor wrote:

All three of them?
We could probably win that war.

I would say a few or several likely-plus million of the 150-plus million Muslims on this planet.
And the moderate/"peaceful" ones appear to me disproportionately present among air travelers.

I would not punish the "unusually peaceful" ("my words", in comparison to the many ruled by some warlord or another) Muslims for being disproportionately the ones traveling via airliners.
What I would prefer is profiling as is done in Israel - not so much on basis of appearance of religion or nationality, but on basis of behavior, especially in response to being engaged into conversation by both uniformed and plainclothes security agents having skills that Israel is willing to pay for.

Don Klipstein wrote:

You're off by a factor of ten - there are 1500 million Muslims on the planet (1.5 Gigamuslims).
Which illustrates the maxim:: "The penis is mightier than the sword" - the enemy can breed faster than they can be killed.

I wonder why he opted for the pat down?

*HE* didn't. Try reading.
"On Nov. 7, Sawyer said he went through the security scanner at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. Evidently the scanner picked up on my urostomy bag, because I was chosen for a pat-down procedure.

I did. As I understand it you can get a pat down or the xray. Apparently it may not always be the case. The scanner may have been the metal detector but it's not entirely clear.
But I may just not understand the procedure yet. I got my info from CNN. Who knows if it was accurate?
I still don't think this shoud be some sort of policy changer. I *sounds* like the TSA agents were being insensitive but who really knows what happened?
Jim

Obviously not, since it was clearly stated that he "was chosen for a pat-down procedure".

AIUI that's an entirely different issue, and not all airports have scanners.
It is clearly stated, however, that he "was chosen for a pat-down procedure".

Insensitive? I guess! What happened is that government is once again overstepping its bounds.

Well....I'm still not entirely sure. Like I said, the report I heard said there was a choice. I do agree that this article is written to make you think the procedure is out of control.
You'll have to forgive me as I don't believe everything I read.
Jim

But you choose to believe what you hear on CNN. Amazing!

<heh> It's not just Cnn if you read the link below. I did some more research and it appears the passenger was "full body scanned," whatever that means. So it appears the initial report of a "choice" may not be true, which does suck if a traveler was counting on one or the other. I think this type of information should be clear to passengers.
Jim

FYI:
http://www.freep.com/article/20101120/BUSINESS07/11200470/1318/Full-body-scans-at-airports-go-too-far-some-say
'If you decline the full-body scan, you are then subject to a pat-down, which this month became more rigorous -- and some would say more invasive and an affront to personal privacy.'
Jim
On 11/21/2010 1:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Thats what can happen when a nitwit who was hired by a clueless politically correct president is put in charge of the homeland security department.