OT: TSA vs us: Will Americans resist or wimp out?

Page 15 of 16

Don't get excited, hag, you've never experienced that before.

More lies from haggie.

s/"Iced Tea"/KoolAid.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

You will note that Congress is the one who passes the budget, it was a GOP Congress during that time. Although I also note that spending increased at pretty much the same rate through that time. It was just that the Gates/Greenspan Economy (Gates as a proxy for the once in a century gains in productivity brought about by the computer and Greenspan for keeping interest rates low) resulted in a short period of time where the economy was so breathtakingly overheated that money came in more quickly than the best efforts of BOTH parties could spend it.. I would also point out that the surplus had peaked and was on its way back down long before election returning to deficit during Clinton's last budget in FY 2001 (which started in October of 2000).
Cant we all just get along? I dont see the point of this round of flaming and doubt anyone else does either:(
First the TSA mess is caused by terrorism which is caused by US behavior in a attempt to control other countries espically those with oil.
End the need for US to imporet oil would hopefully much of our meddliong in other peoples affairs:) save us boatloads of money, our money being shipped overseas for crude.....
terroists might lose interest in us:) and go back to fighting one another. no nukes please
The TSA mess is also caused by intrusive government who picks and chooses what to stomp on, while ignoring other risks.
like largely ignoring the risk of explosives in luggage, they could require airliners to have bomb proof luggage containers, they really arent bomb proof but direct any explosive power out the bottom of the plane, rather than upward to passengers, or fuel tanks. not done because of costs:(
the biggest hazard must be some SAMs, surface to air missles carried over the mexican border, then launched at airliners. once a couple passenger planes are downed air travel as we know it will end forever.
how many here will fly with idiots shooting at airliners???? vounteer please?
better to begin building a high speed rail system TODAY, not only would it put people back to work, it would provide a alternative to flying and could be operated like city bus service is.
no reservation needed, just get on aa 350 MPH people mover that runs on guide ways, no road crossings. Its altogether possible other countries are doing it today:) departures ever 15 minutes:) all computer controlled
Congress is filled with reps paid off by campaign contribuitors, reps main concern is getting re elected to their plush jobs... and hurting the other party.......
whats best for the nation? they dont care:(
discussions about these issues might help, flame wars ignore the real issues.
like the fact we have lost both wars in iraq and afghanistan, as soon as we pull out the bad guys will take over again:(

OH MY GOD! Are you trying to start a flame war for which Iarny can claim victory? 8-)
TDD

neither the body scan or the pat-down will find bombs stuffed into the rectum.
Time to boycott flying,and the airline companies will feel the economic impact,and petition for changes. We need to profile the passengers,and only close-search the suspect ones,not everybody.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/robert-dean-sues-tsa-claims-pat-down-violates-his-rights/19732219?icid=main%7Chtmlws-sb-n%7Cdl1%7Csec4_lnk1%7C186205 -
Listen to the TSA hunt down a box of terrorist money. Aren't they supposed to be looking for weapons and bombs?
http://www.aclu.org/files/multimedia/bierfeldt.mp3
http://www.aclu.org/national-security/audio-recording-aclu-client-steve-bierfeldts-detention-and-interrogation-tsa
-- Bobby G.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 20:07:53 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
It is, but not nearly as wrong as screwing up the entire flow of the thread. BTW, I generally do trim, though I don't do it for the entire newsgroup.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

You say that like you think it's a bad thing.

Just think how bad things would be if we didn't engage in all those things you mention.
On 11/20/2010 4:16 PM HeyBub spake thus:

I knew you'd say those things.
Oh, and you're 5 minutes late.

Seehttp://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/19/tsa-travelers-who-refuse-scanning -...,
If Americans decide that they want to be as completely immune from terrorism as possible, this is what it takes. Full body searches. With the explosive technology available today, nothing else will do and there are experts who say even THAT isn't enough. Explosives can be swallowed. I don't have a problem with this since the right to fly isn't in the Constitution. Keep me from driving cross country? No way, Jose!

This was predicted in 1948 by George Orwell. Keep the country in an open state of war and anything can be justified. Turned out to be just as convenient for Obama as it was for Bush. Probably what happened to raise the Republican ire is that a few as yet undiscovered Larry Craigs got groped and got a hard-on in public. (-: It's a golden opportunity for Obama to cave and blame the Republicans if something dire happens. But I am more than a little suspicious that Obama caused this furor by ratcheting up the TSA's pat-downs as a way of saying "Thanks for voting Republican!" I believe we now live in a world too complicated to understand. There are too many possible truths to be sure of any of them.

The US is thoroughly fractured. It took years to do, but pols on both sides realized that they had to have an endless supply of polarizing items to attract "their base." That's why so much of what goes on makes no sense. Bush gives away a completely unfunded Medicare Drug plan on his watch and Clinton puts the brakes on a runaway welfare situation during his while presiding over the sale of our manufacturing base to China. People have to come out of their partisan stupors before we can ever hope to staunch the flow of blood and treasure to foreign nations.

There's been a gradual acceptance as each phase escalates slightly. I am sorry for the folks with colostomy bags. But I suspect that's exactly how a terrorist would conceal a large amount of explosive material. The boldness and preparation of 9/11 makes me very wary of underestimating terrorists. I should be afraid of the "police state" but I am actually happy if there are fewer people willing to fly because that means fewer potential missiles, plane crashes or jet fuel exhaust components in the atmosphere. One of those rare "something good comes out of something bad" occurrences.
-- Bobby G.
On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:20:20 -0500, "Robert Green"

Absolute nonsense. There is no such thing as "completely immune" and molesting nuns and little children does *nothing* for security. If security was even desired the TSA would be profiling passengers.

Experts say that is *useless*.

If it requires the molestation and mortification of nuns, cancer survivors, and children, then I say shut down air travel. That's the only way to be "completely immune from (airline) terrorism".
<more utter nonsense snipped>
David Nebenzahl wrote:

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/11/19/tsa-travelers-who-refuse-scanning-cant-leave-will-be-fined ,
Well, let me see...
A few hijackings to Cuba and we get airport security. Result? I never got to visit Havana (especially the Shanghai Theater) and lots of people got low paying security jobs.
Comes 9/11 and we have to take off our shoes. Result? Lots of people stop wearing socks and more jobs. No terrorist attacks though, thanks George. Also, they ask us to arrive at the airport 2 hours early because some fools take so long removing their shoes. Or maybe they still wear socks.
Now they want to grope us. Result? Still more jobs and some of a particular sexual persuasion will like it.
I predict strip searches within 10 years, maybe flying permits too. Does Greyhound still operate? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/21/2010 10:45 AM, dadiOH wrote:

<snip>
Having ridden the Grey Dog not long ago, I can tell you that anything that TSA could do is preferable.
Last I heard, no one had refused to fly than to undergo the search. Either get over it, or take the dog if you really want bad treatment.
I think too many of us have gotten too thin skinned. Indeed, there is a whole movement devoted to being upset.
Jeff

In the good old days it was considered a severe inconvenience and a burden to travel. Thats why people usually liked to live close to their kin and worked close to home. Now travelling is considered a form of leisure or entertainment. How about this for a renovative idea: STOP TRAVELLING.
On 11/21/2010 1:02 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
(snip)

I mostly have, but not because of TSA. Even without them, air travel has been an expensive PITA for at least 20 years, where you are treated like cattle at best. If my family wasn't scattered to the 4 winds (and especially my niece and nephew that I refuse to give up contact with), I could never fly again and not miss it one little bit. Once retirement time comes, and if I have the cash to buy gas, maybe I'll do the North America tourist bit, but by car, no more than 8-10 steering wheel hours at a time. (My Ironman Road Trip days are long behind me.)
--
aem sends...

I sorta surprised a client a couple of months ago when they wanted to know which flight to Chicago I wanted. I told 'em I'd drive. Even given Chicago's blighted traffic situation it is still easier than flying and I have my car if I want to wander around. Basically anything less than 12 hours, I'll fly thank you very much.

^^^ drive?
My rule 20 years ago was 6 hours (I could drive faster than flying). Now the demarcation is more like 36. ;-)

Yep. Seeing what I meant instead of what I said (Grin).

I'm with you, except it's been less than 20 years since it's gotten to be more bother than it's worth. I flew as little as two years ago (I was contracting out of state and some interview trips) and other than slipping shoes off and buying a can of deodorant when I got to my destination, it wasn't all that bad. Forget it with this crap going on now! Other than work (and I doubt that'll ever happen soon) I'm done flying. We can still easily do 12 hours, or 15-16 if it's a one-day trip, though. We left the kid in Vermont and plan to DRIVE back up there to see him next Summer, even though it'll kill four days traveling.