(OT) Trusting Banks

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

I simply inform-in my case-the credit union. They take care of the heavy lifting. Same way as disputing a CC charge. I do try to put as much as possible through the CC as I get a rebate.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I was looking after my brother's estate and found some money had been deducted from his bank account after he died. Went to the branch we worked with and used the word FRAUD when describing the problem. Got instant results from the manager, and an investigation ensued to find out what happened. Got fast results and their total attention. It turned out it was a deduction into a savings account he had authorized a couple of weeks prior to his death. It was returned to the account.

Reply to
EXT

Glad it all worked out...but you did the right thing.

If you say there is FRAUD, there will be instant action.

Now here is another:

One day , when I went to get gas, the pump did not accept my credit card...and I noticed people at other pumps had the same problem.

The attendant had everyone come inside and swipe their cards.

This was very suspicious and when I went home I checked my credit card statement and there was no transaction listed. Normally a transaction posts within minutes.

I immediately called my credit card company to report the suspicious activity but they said since no money was improperly taken from my account there was nothing they could do.

Three days later the transaction did finally post and about two days after that money was illegally taken from my account. The credit card company saw it as fraud, returned the money and issued a new card.

What I don't know is...should I have gone to the police or what???

I bet the police would have done nothing either.

Reply to
philo

Interesting that they "returned" it. I don't see why they would, unless an executor directed them to do it. It was a legitimate, legal transaction at the time it was done. The account owner is now deceased and it's up to his will, the executor, state law to sort it out, not for a bank to decide to undo some transaction. It's a fine point and likely doesn't matter if the accounts all have the exact same names on them, etc, but still seems odd.

Reply to
trader_4

I'd say it depends on who took the money, the amount, etc, that makes it "illegal". If it was what looks like a duplicate transaction, the same amount, same payee, then I'd figure it was likely a mistake and not do anything. But if it was for a totally different amount, different payee, etc, then for sure I'd go to the local police.

I bet they would. It's a crime and if it was an intentional scam like you think, there would be more victims than just you too.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

When someone croaks the gov't imposes all kinds of limits on banks, securing safe deposit boxes, etc. Gotta remember the tax$$$

Reply to
Tekkie®

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Ya well. it not like you earned it. It's an entitlement according to the libs... 8~)

Reply to
Tekkie®

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

somebody in Pakistan tried to use my card number.

fraud attempts. This happened several years ago when I was still mobile an d I remember using my card at a convenience store

count. I think I need the money more than a Paki! o_O

only time the federal government has ever helped me when I asked for help. I did have to get an attorney to assist me which cost thousands but I fina lly got some help. I'm helpless without it. o_O

Most workers don't have a choice. You get a job you pay into SS. Unless one is taking money under the table... locked in. I get mad when the system is slammed and the shouts of it has no money, etc. Well, the libs made it a Ponzi scheme before I was born. I was forced into it. They know they have t o front the money but refuse to address the issues. The critters worry about minor crap while the major crap has fermented into congresscrap. This natio n is the greatest in the world but not like it was in so many ways. I wonder if Pearl Harbor was bombed again the nation has the resiliency and fortitud e to recover... I will now shut up.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

when somebody in Pakistan tried to use my card number.

ther fraud attempts. This happened several years ago when I was still mobil e and I remember using my card at a convenience store

g account. I think I need the money more than a Paki! o_O

the only time the federal government has ever helped me when I asked for h elp. I did have to get an attorney to assist me which cost thousands but I finally got some help. I'm helpless without it. o_O

bank account and there was 12 cents in it. My SSI check hadn't come through like it was supposed to. I called the Social Security office to ask WTF?! It turns out that they'd sent me a letter that I didn't get and when they d idn't hear back from me, they cut me off. I called right after the office o pened explained the situation and was assured I get a return call from a ca se worker. I waited until the afternoon to call back and was told that the wom an I supposed to speak with had left for the day. Now I must call them back on Monday morning or get someone to take me to their office which is not t hat far away from where I am. o_O

Your gov't inaction. What makes people think any gov't agency will serve them well? Obamauncare, SSA, VA, etc. The libs big gov't thrust is lost on me.

I would contact your federal representatives to cut through the fog.

Reply to
Tekkie®