(OT) Traffic Speed Detecting Signs

Page 3 of 4
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

er that I didn't know

er. (Brand new car,

You were doing something so you were stopped. You were cut a break with the muffler.
--
Tekkie

On 08/11/2016 05:38 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

I feel your pain :'(
On 08/11/2016 01:34 PM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Love it.
Rush Limbaugh's law on sexual harassment: She will either
1) sue you, or
2) hit you, or
3) marry you
And I might add, if she marries you and you STOP harassing her, you will die a slow, protracted, NOISY death.
James Wilkinson posted for all of us...

A good copper. He didn't know you but his ahole detector was maxed out on you.
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 08:20:58 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Possibly LIDAR instead of Radar

On 8/10/2016 3:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Doubtful as the Valentine One picks up LIDAR/Laser as well. Trips everytime I run through a toll plaza where the cameras are equipped with IR Illuminators to light up the plates at night.
One explanation I read was frequencies of the mobile units, since they aren't used for enforcement, per se, are not calibrated/recalibrated and the detectors won't pick them up.
No attribution was provided with that explanation so I rather doubt it for that and several other reasons.
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:11:53 AM UTC-4, Pat wrote:

So I want to speed past one of those set-ups I should drive in reverse?
On 8/10/2016 6:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

no, that is how you turn back your odometer before you sell the car.
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 06:28:06 -0700, Taxed and Spent

Only if it is a rather old car. Most cars today with electronic speedos will register mileage in both directions. Some even register reverse speeds.

If it's aimed along this side of the road, it shouldn't see cars on the other side. Otherwise what happens if there's cars going both ways at once?
--
The 2 most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:08:08 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

If there are a line of cars approaching the sign, the numbers tend to jump around quite a bit. So which car is it sensing? (Of course a line of cars are all doing roughly the same speed).

How much does it jump about? I could believe a line of cars varying by something like 28mph to 34mph.
--
Avoid messes.. Remember to cover cat before microwaving.

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:47:03 +0100, "James Wilkinson"

That's about right.... plus/minus 5mph is about right

A lot of drivers don't stay at the same speed, they're impatient and/or stupid and speed up, then brake as they approach the car in front. That's why you get those ridiculous rolling slow bits on motorways sometimes. I always delete them by just driving at the average speed of the cars in front.
--
Mary had a little lamb, it walked into a pylon. 10,000 volts went up its arse, and turned its wool to nylon.

That makes sense....
I have also noted that those signs are always showing about 2mph slower than my speedometer on my pickup truck. But vehicle speedos are never 100% accurate because of factors in the vehicle, gear ratios and so on, but tire size is a huge factor. I have heard of guys changing the speedo gear, just because they put on larger or smaller tires. As long as I know that my speedo is showing "30" when I'm actually doing 28, I know I can legally go a little faster. I actually like those signs, because they do "test my speedometer.
I dont know what size tires came with my truck, but I tend to run heavier tires than most people, because I haul farm equipment, hay bales, etc. I'm sure that makes up the difference. My tires are all 10ply, and the quarter or half inch of extra thickness does matter in the long run.
Pat posted for all of us...

A negative speed? Huh? NO It's doesn't care what direction you are going. The beam pattern is narrowed so it's only measuring the oncoming traffic. The ones we have recorders are installed so traffic studies can be performed. When citizens complain about speeding in their neighborhood then a study is done. If warranted then enforcement is started. Usually the studies are done in nearby areas too. Catches the complainers speeding in someone else's neighborhood. Enforcement catches the stop sign violators.
--
Tekkie

The physics cares. A car appraoching at 35 is very different from a car going the other way. The software might be programmed to display the absolute value of the speed, but internally, the device knows toward (positive) from away (negative).

That may be the intent, but real world roads have curves and cars on the other side are sometimes detected.
Pat posted for all of us...

.

So what is your point?

.

So. They are not being used for enforcement. To be used properly they just aren't hung on a fence nail in the pole. Are you looking in the mirror when you pass one going the "negative" direction; if so what is the reading?
--
Tekkie

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 4:11:00 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

...or they show 3 digits.
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/california-norcal/768858d1360093813-stop-creating-strava-segments-non-sanctioned-trails-radartrailer176mph.gif
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 06:22:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Most metric units have 3 digit readout. Imperial units for urban use generally have only 2 digits - 100mph in urban areas is not "expected" but 100kph is far from unheard of.