(OT) Traffic Speed Detecting Signs

Page 2 of 4
On 8/10/2016 8:11 AM, Pat wrote:

Interesting.
Seems obvious that they must employ a unique radar frequency as oftentimes my Valentine One (a great radar detector) doesn't utter a sound even though it's set to report ALL threats.
The silent treatment occurs with a fair number of the portable "Speed Alert" trailers the police move around to provide a courtesy warning to motorists as well.

Those speed detectors always show my vehicle is going 3 mph slower than my speedometer.
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 10:41:26 AM UTC-4, cowabunga dude wrote:

Have you compared your speedometer with a GPS or GPS app on a smartphone?
When you use the words "Those speed detectors always", I have to suspect the one thing that is consistent in every case: Your speedometer. I'd find it hard to believe that every one of those detectors is off by 3 MPH.
Somehow you'd think that they'd have fixed that by now...
On 8/10/2016 10:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

+1
Not mention that if it was done intentionally, they might want it reading your speed as 3 mph higher to slow you down.
With my portable GPS I will occasionally check my car's speedo. Set the cruise control at 60mph on a flat stretch and see what the GPS tells me. Rarely is there a difference between the two.

Because your speedometer (like in most cars) is shit. Compare it with your GPS it should be dead on.
--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 11:06:51 AM UTC-4, James Wilkinson wrote:

Mr. MaCaw,
It could be tires if he is running something other than the OEM size.
On 8/10/2016 10:41 AM, cowabunga dude wrote:

Your speedo is off. Manufacturers would rather it be that way the the opposite so you don't get tickets.
§ 393.82 Speedometer. Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor must be equipped with a speedometer indicating vehicle speed in miles per hour and/or kilometers per hour. The speedometer must be accurate to within plus or minus 8 km/hr (5 mph) at a speed of 80 km/hr (50 mph).
Tire size and pressure will affect the readings too.
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:41:16 -0500, "cowabunga dude"

because your speedo, like most, is inaccurate.. Perhaps your tires are undersized??
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:13:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That could be it, or it might be working as designed. I believe that cars in the US must have speedometers that are accurate to within minus 0% and plus 5%. I don't recall the exact number, but the idea is they can allowed read fast but never slow. If that is true, I would think the average speedometer would read a liitle fast. At 60 mph, a designer working with a + or - 2 mph device would set it to be 2 mph fast thus turning -2 to +2 into -0 to +4 with an average of 2.

Mine too, but maybe 4 mph. I've wondered if the mfg sets the speedometer low for some reason. It's roughly 4 or 5 mph on many of these "speed signs".
--
charles

Those detectors are shit, I got too many false positives from other things that use the same frequencies (apparently tractor and taxi radios?!). The best thing to use is a GPS which has all the spots they put cameras (including mobile ones) in its database.
--
What do you call kinky sex with chocolate?
S&M&M

I haven't used a detector for around twenty years. When I did have one I was driving 30 miles to work. One morning I was late and was doing 125 mph. The detector beeped once, I knew the cop was a long way off. I kept speeding. As I got closer it would beep faster. When I got to the state line I slowed down to 55, I could tell the cop was a few miles away. I merged into traffic. When I saw the cop he was coming fast and he was looking down the road past the group of cars I was in, like he expected the speeder to be coming.
Sorry Charlie.

I spotted a cop recently, flying towards me in an unmarked BMW. But the way he kept speeding up and slowing down, I knew he was speed matching the cars. I was doing about 90 as he approached me, so I dropped a gear and went to 70 quite rapidly without using the brake lights. The cop appeared alongside me and made very rude gestures.
--
A woman storms into her boss's office with this complaint:
"All the other women in the office are suing you for sexual harassment.

He clenched his fist in a way you do when you lose a game. Then I'm pretty sure he made a wanker motion.
--
Exersize: the act of removing excess baggage

One time when I left Fort Smith, AR, for Oklahoma City, I got caught caught up in some fast moving traffic. We were all speeding. It took an hour and a half to get from Fort Smith to OK city.
James Wilkinson used his keyboard to write :

Motorcycling with some friends one day, they decided to see how fast they could go. I let them, I knew they would eventually get stopped at the lights in the next town and I would catch up to them. I got stopped by a cop who insisted that I was speeding trying to catch up to them.
Sometimes, you just can't win.
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 8:38:48 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:

I can win...
I've been stopped for speeding 3 times.
The first time I was doing 70 in 55 in a rented car. I told the officer that I didn't know how to use the cruise control. He gave me a ticket for a noisy muffler. (Brand new car, less than 3000 miles on it).
The next time I was doing 70 in a 55. The cop told me to keep it under 65 and gave me a ticket for an obstructed license plate. (I had clear plexiglass over the plate)
The last time I was doing 75 in a 55, after midnight, on a highway that gets very little traffic even during the day. There wasn't another car in sight, other than the cop, of course. After briefly looking at my documents, the cop said "I'm sure you know that we give drivers a little leeway on this road. Try to keep it under 70. Have a nice night and get home safe."
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...
Answers in-line...

Equipment violation, the rental co. should have taken care of it.

over the plate)

You got a break...

Another break, nice department. They are not all revenue generators.
--
Tekkie

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 3:04:37 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

that I didn't know

. (Brand new car,

You couldn't have missed the point by any farther of a distance.
Brand new car, less than 3000 miles on it.
Do you really think it had a noisy muffler?
Do you really think the rental company wouldn't have questioned a noisy muffler violation on a brand new vehicle that clearly did not have a noisy muffler?
Do you really think I was going go though the hassle of trying to get them to cover it instead of just mailing the check to the municipality?
Good grief.