OT Tracing phone calls.

OT I'm watching Kojak and they have to keep the kidnapper on the phone for what, 3 minutes, to trace the call. Of course the ciriminal knows this.

But that was the 70's.

Why do new crime shows still require them to keep the criminal on the phone to trace the call? Don' they know the call can be traced in a second, and the info is still there even after everyone hangs up?

Reply to
micky

They don't want the sheeple to know how easy it is for them to trace a call and identify the caller. Have you been following the NSA scandal? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Hi, Are you talking about land line or cell phone?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Only idiots watch Kojak. They know this and hence the plot can take whatever form the writer fancies.

Reply to
harryagain

Land line. I still don't think in terms of cell phones.

Reply to
micky

I got a kick out of the tires screeching on dirt or gravel roads.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

They don't even *have* to trace calls anymore, since it's done automatically for every bloody call you make anyway. Rumor from those in the know has it they are recording the conversations as well, but that is at this point unsubstantiated.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken