OT Tracing phone calls.

OT I'm watching Kojak and they have to keep the kidnapper on the phone for what, 3 minutes, to trace the call. Of course the ciriminal knows this.
But that was the 70's.
Why do new crime shows still require them to keep the criminal on the phone to trace the call? Don' they know the call can be traced in a second, and the info is still there even after everyone hangs up?
On 7/30/2013 12:06 AM, micky wrote:

They don't want the sheeple to know how easy it is for them to trace a call and identify the caller. Have you been following the NSA scandal? O_o
TDD

They don't even *have* to trace calls anymore, since it's done automatically for every bloody call you make anyway. Rumor from those in the know has it they are recording the conversations as well, but that is at this point unsubstantiated.
Jon
micky wrote:

Are you talking about land line or cell phone?

Land line. I still don't think in terms of cell phones.

Only idiots watch Kojak. They know this and hence the plot can take whatever form the writer fancies.
On 7/30/13 12:06 AM, micky wrote:

I got a kick out of the tires screeching on dirt or gravel roads.