OT Toyota

Page 4 of 4

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 07:24:56 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

I haven't heard anything about stick shifts regarding this. Yet I'm sure the pedal is the same. Maybe they are better at putting it in neutral.
I probably would use neutral too. I say that because I used to have a car that stalled even at 60 sometimes, with an automatic. I would put the car in neutral, restart it while coasting at 58mph, and put it back in drive. It took 5 seconds and even the first time it may have only taken 10, allowing time to wonder what to do. I think that would have been good training for this.
I'm still bothered by the use of pedal to mean, apparently, pedal assembly.
Guys with cars might call the whole thing an assembly, but it's the nature of corporate types to use formal, technical language, even when it sounds stilted and silly. Here, where it really makes a difference, I'm really surpised they call it a pedal. Where is their stuffy language when we need it? Yet I too heard, on the radio while almost awake, about humidity. Plainly, the rubber pad one puts his foot on and the steel plate behind it aren't influenced by humidity.
They had two years to solve this. I don't know what they were thinking.

Just now for the first time I heard the news refer to the "pedal assembly". They are shipping to dealers a small metal bar that will attaches to the pedal assembly and decrease "surface tension and friction", and this they expect to fix the accelerator pedal.
There is surface tension in the pedal assembly? "Ain't nuthin' simple anymore" but I have no idea why there would be surface tension in an accelerator pedal assembly.
Why wasn't the old system good enough? A pedal on a lever, connected to some rod and pivotrs, or to an accelerator cable, with a spring to pull things back. Didn't this work fine from 1920 to 2000? I know I sound like a codger, but if they were going to make things more complicated, they sure should have been diligent when complaints came in.

Mine is a 2006 Matrix and never gave it a thought to not drive it.

I had a GM vehicle lose throttle control when the throttle linkage broke off and the throttle went to full. I was approaching a T intersection and just put the car into neutral and turned off the ignition.... no problem.
This was part of my basic training when learning to drive and I think that it should be a part of mandatory emergency procedures.