OT Toyota

Page 3 of 4

There are two separate and not at all related recalls, the mat and a problem with the gas pedal mechinism.

That's the last thing I'd want to do, palm it up to neutral. I know, that's what they say on the radio. Because the engine would race to wide open throttle, and throw a rod.
I heard some earlier Toyotas, the pedal was catching on the floor mat. This sounds like a return spring is snapping.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

A new engine is a hell of a lot cheaper than the hospital or the body shop. And with a modern unit-body crush-control car, wrecks that used to be fixable with a new doghouse, are now totals. I seriously doubt the engine would grenade- most are rev-limited by the computer these days. But I don't really care if they have to pick up the car with a shop vac, as long as I don't get messed up. I can always get another car, and on the newer one at least, insurance would likely cover it anyway. Me, not so much. I don't heal up nearly as well as when I was 18, even from minor injuries.
-- aem sends...

on a new car,the power-train warranty should cover it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
aemeijers wrote:

Turn the key off. Simple

You are supposed to palm it into neutral. Modern cars have governors that ensure you don't race up the rpm. My V6 locks about 4500 RPM, unless it determines a normal power band, like exiting a hiway offramp. If you just punch the throttle in 3rd 4th or 5th, oftentimes the car will govern itself until it determines what the hell you want to do.
You can downshift your automatic tranny into a lower gear if needed, like on a hill or somesuch but if the rpm's are too high to do it on the fly, the car's transmission computer module will not allow a downshift and lock you from doing that.
I drive a POS Sebring and it does all this.

I would rather have a thrown rod than a thrown me.

It does sound like the spring is snapping, but how long would it take for even the dumbest mechanic to figure that out. It must not be a broken spring.

Is this true of diesels too? There was a case on the People's Court where 3 said and no one disagreed, that if for some reason the fuel pump doesn't turn off, and let's assume the car is in neutral, the engine will just run faster and faster until it breaks up.
Two said that the only way to stop it is to pinch the fuel line closed.
I don't know if the car was new or old.

YOu also can't actually go into park until the speed drops very low.

Cutting off the air supply would kill the engine also. Stuffing a rag or your shirt in the air inlet may be faster than finding something to pinch a line fully closed.

any EFI motor would just shut off the fuel injectors or kill the ignition once the RPM limit was reached.
I think my Nissan kills the ignition,it's rather abrupt at the redline. I'd rather the EFI just held the fuel injectors at a limit than the motor start dying like it does now.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I believe DIESEL was mentioned. If a deisel starts sucking engine oil when hot, shutting off the fuel won't do anything - and stuffing rags in the intake can have a minimal effect. A chunk of 3/4" plywood over the intake of a diesel loader engine HAS proven effective in the past.
On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 11:40:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But they don't all suck engine oil, do they? Only ones with bad rings? Or PCV valve? (do they have those on diesels?)
Isn't it also possible that the fuel pump keeps running for some reason?

What do you mean by "loader" engine?

On a Deisel, other than Common rail, the injector pump is powered mechanixcally by the engine, and "pulling the rack" shuts off injection, stopping the engine.
A "common rail" deisel uses a high pressure pump and electric fuel injectors, just like a gas engine (although much more robust) so shutting off the electricity to the injectors OR the pump will stop the engine if the pump is eectrically driven.
Most non-common-rail diesels have either a shutdown motor or an emergency kill linkage, or both. If the shuddown motor fails, you need to manually "pull the rack" to shut it off - which is what either a normal mechanical shutdown or an emergency kill does.

An engine on a large "loader" - Front-enf loader, Loader/backhoe, industrial loader tractor - whatever you want to call it - kinda like a 'Dozer with wheels instead of tracks.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 05:01:20 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

The engine will NOT throw a rod because it is electronically rev limited to a safe RPM (usually around 4200 - 4500 RPM).
Try it some time. With the car idling in neutral, jab the throttle to the floor and see what happens. It WILL cut out, and surge until you let off the pedal.

A good driver would slam it in neutral and be reaching for the parking brake and be braking with regular brakes, a good driver would be reaching for the key to shut off the engine, a good driver would also not hesitate to use the Parking gear if all else failed. A good driver would make all these decisions in about 5 seconds time. The case where the guy called 911 because he was accelerating was crazy, he was a lame-ass driver, what the hell is a phone operator supposed to do? (The car was later T-boned in an intersection and all died I think).
My Toyota is un-affected fortunately:
http://www.toyota.com/recall /
Yes I will continue to drive Toyotas, if it were on the recall list I might consider using my spare car until I got to the dealer.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 11:38:33 -0800 (PST), RickH

A good driver also thinks about what can happen. Every once in a while, I'll be driving and think to myself, "what would I do if xxx happened"? Play it out in your head and if that time ever comes, you'll be able to react faster. It is the same type of exercise top athletes use to enhance their performance. It trains the brain.

That seems to be a good way to teach your kid to drive. And something one can start when he's 14 or 15.

The case where the guy called 911 because he was accelerating was crazy, he was a lame-ass driver, what the hell is a phone operator supposed to do? (The car was later T-boned in an intersection and all died I think).
Here's a quote from today's NY Times
"The Lexus ES 350 sedan, made by Toyota, had hit a sport utility vehicle, careened through a fence, rolled over and burst into flames. All four people inside were killed: the driver, Mark Saylor, an off-duty California Highway Patrol officer, and his wife, daughter and brother-in-law."
Not exactly lame-ass.
Charlie

OK, what proves he wasn't? Just because he was a Chippy?

I'd have thought hat someone with that training would know what to do. Sad results from an alleged professional with some driver training.

Yes, although I don't think it's one of the models affected. Mine is a 2003 Matrix.

Well, yes. I drive a stick, and mashing on the clutch is pretty much a reflex.
Cindy Hamilton