OT - To Stormin Mormon

Page 1 of 4
From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:
While traveling through northern Arizona with a full camera crew we stopped for petrol and refreshments at a town deemed a "Mormon Town". While getting back into our van my wallet containing $1200 [need cash for trips] fell from my pocket; the loss going unnoticed until much further down the road. Upon discovering the loss, we turned back to the logical location where I could have lost my wallet. We searched and searched, but found nothing anywhere. So went inside and inquired if anybody had turned in a wallet. Someone had! Upon confirming my name, the gentleman [who had actually also found the wallet] returned it to me. Upon checking the contents, I found the whole of the funds completely intact. I offered a reward to the man who replied, "No, but thank you. I could not possibly accept any reward for it would lessen my reward from Jesus Christ." [words to that effect.]
Just thought you'd like to hear something GOOD for a change.
On 11/4/2013 11:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Thank you. Best I've heard in a long time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Nice of you to post it but I still prefer these words from "The Rubiyat of Omar Khayyam": "Ah, take the cash and let the credit go..." . I'm not big on distant drums either :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Just a wild guess but I suspect that is why it has "OT" in the subject line.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/4/2013 3:52 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Yes, it sure is off topic. It really needs to be labelled OT.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/4/2013 3:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You are talking about someone who can't grasp the concept of bottom posting. Someone who follows a religion that promises each good participant their own personal planet after death. Well, not the women, they are one step above a cow. It is doubtful they won't get the concept of OT.
Steve
Jon Danniken wrote:

You may need that misplaced money to buy home repair stuff?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

LOL! Ms. Macy said the EXACT same thing! not 'may' need, but WILL need.

Click: picture downloads, ...until mid way, about hands, then blanks and starts over! Download: starts gets to somewhere, and ERROR, must manually start over! Not once, not twice, but many, many times, either way.
UNTIL I 'replied' to complain and then the picture finished all the way through. Hmmmm. Go figure.

Loads instantly on my iPad, both in my newsreader's web window and in Safari.

THAT'S EXACTLY the answers I get when I complain about some vendor's website, "Well, I just tried it and it worked for me." Certainly FULL of information on where to look and how to fix, right?
The website I like is the one paid for with tax dollars to provide the service of presenting aerial maps and now REQUIRING Microsoft Silverlight! Yeah, REQUIRES Silverlight for those fixed images. Oh, but the zoom in overlay graphics are so much MORE dramatic than before. All that for 'transitional' oomph! The aerial maps/photos are STILL blurry, though.

I sincerely apologize for trying to help by letting you know that the link worked fine in certain browsers. I just realized that being aware that a link works fine some browsers in no way helps differentiate between a bad link link and a problem with some browser's handling of that link.
As we all know, we've never, ever had a bad link posted in this ng, so it was a complete waste of your time and mine for me to have let you know that the link was valid and that you should eliminate the link as the root cause of the issue.

Thanks for taking my whining in the 'proper' vein. However, two things are evident. Your new 'whiz-band' high speed systems worked! My lo-tech, dial up kept failing, until...Perhaps, the key is that high speed 'gets in' gets out' and done. Whereas, everybody seemed to go there after that posting, and a slow dial-up got 'easily' interrupted and failed, until everybody quit bothering the link, then I got download completed. Has to be related to some of those 'invisible' java sripts timing out, failing, and never telling me.
Anyway, I did finally get the full image. Don't know who Greg Olsen is, nor am I familiar with his other works, but he has great skill at 'illustrative' art. Admit to being jealous of those skills. My art instructor at university asked for my works and kept them. Now they're probably lost for ever. Darn. One was of a building demolished shortly after I sketched it, too. No, it wasn't demolished because I sketched it. Just an old delapidated, but visually interesting, building.
On 11-10-2013 08:53, RobertMacy wrote:

It's a fact of life: so-called web designers are addicted to Microsoft products, including Internet Explorer. They work in large buildings with T1 lines and have 24-inch or bigger monitors, three-month-old CPUs, and 16 gigabytes RAM. They never reject cookies, and they don't test on anything else.
So stop whining and join the rest of the lemmings.
--
Wes Groleau

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated
On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 09:20:49 -0700, Wes Groleau

My consolation is that when I call the vendor directly [because their website hangs/crashes/blanks] as they are forced to go through their own website, they have HUGE delays, multiple apologies at how slow things run. HA! And, my most enjoyable, when they go down blind alleys, find nothing, or find incomplete/error information! I quietly say, "That's why I called you directly."
On 11-10-2013 11:33, RobertMacy wrote:

Wow, you're lucky. What I usually get is "can you reboot your computer?" Followed by "which version of Internet Explorer do you have?"
--
Wes Groleau

“A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature, and as a
On 11-10-2013 11:50, Wes Groleau wrote:

If I were lucky enough to get the response you describe, I would handle it differently from you. I would say instead,
"That's why I called you instead of your incompetent web team."
--
Wes Groleau

“Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read
On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 09:52:52 -0700, Wes Groleau

You may have sightly misunderstood. I called them to find out if they HAD what I needed and to PLACE an order, not to find out how to fix/work their website. If they even start down that path [reboot, what version, etc] I tell them along the lines of, "Send me the money and I'll buy the latest computer just for you, so I can buy from you! Further, requiring the most costly computer is a little like making a customer pay an entrance fee when going into your store, which I'll never do. More importantly, I don't wish to spend ANY MORE time, I can make my money back. I can't make my time back. If your firm keeps wasting my time, the cost of doing business with you has become too high, and I will not. Do YOU understand? I know it is NOT your fault, but tell people responsible, else it will never change." By admitting that I know it is not their fault, it removes any potential of them defensively posturing, AND by giving them a course of action, win their support. EVERYBODY likes a course of action, there is nothing worse than facing the frustrations of seeing something wrong and having NO WAY to inform, nor change.
On 11-11-2013, 10:24, RobertMacy wrote:

You're right, I didn't understand. My words aren't intended to fix anything, just to vent. Because the person I would be talking to (even if I called tech support) (1) has no authority to do anything about it, (2) has no access to someone who does, and (3) doesn't care.
Well, _sometimes_ tech support has access to someone who can do something about it. But more often they know nothing and are sternly ordered "DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE SCRIPT if you want to keep your minimum-wage, part-time job."
--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html