OT: To all Americans in this group:

Page 1 of 2
Happy Birthday!!!!
July 04, 1776 is when we "declared" that we separated from England. The actual separation happened over a period of years, after that date.
I think when a husband and wife declare "we've got to have a baby". There is a time of planning and preparation and, uh, "working on it". Eventually, the baby is born.
I'm not sure why the USA celebrates the date when the married couple declares that they are going to work on getting pregnant. Maybe because it's an easy date to find on a document?
Happy Birthday!!!!

I think it was a momentous occasion to declare independence. That requires celebration, which is why I (naturalized 1984) am flying the flag today.
To keep the declared independence, we need to keep working on those freedoms ...
--
Best regards
Han

*Actually*, if you want to pick nits-- the 4th is when all the State delegations of Congress agreed to the Declaration. It passed on the 2nd-- and there were still individual dissenters- though a couple of those signed it after it was printed up next month. [I think the last signature was put on in 1780 or so.]

I'd say that the Declaration was pretty definitive-- More like a divorce -- one party might pursue you for a decade or so-- but you're still divorced.
Jim

Indeed. But sometimes you have to stick with custom.
--
Best regards
Han

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/things-fourth-july/story?id 707033
Remove the 2nd "m" from Mormons and whattya got!? ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain

In this case, it is accurate---- But I've known a few Mormons, and our stormy moron is an outlier.
Nice link, BTW.
Jim
Bibbity Bobbity boo?
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/things-fourth-july/story?id 707033
Remove the 2nd "m" from Mormons and whattya got!? ;)
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
harry the full-quoter wrote:

So do I.
Upside down.
http://drkatesview.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/flagindistress.jpg
As is currently appropriate.
On 7/4/12 2:12 PM, harry wrote:

What do the neighbors say, if anything?
Dean Hoffman (""dh0496\"@in*%ebr#&as$ka.com") writes:

I'll speculate that it's possibly something like the following, redundancies and all.
"Cor blimy, 'es bleedin' off 'is bleedin' rocker again! 'e needs a bleedin' lie down!"

Cuz it's damned great and amazing!!!
Duesenberg wrote:

And happy 200'th anniversary of the war of 1812 - the war that you started against Canada and we (with the help of the Brits) kicked your ass and burned down your white house.
On 7/4/2012 8:20 AM, Home Guy wrote:

Here's to you burning your ass on your grill today.

I feel sorry for you. You are just so jealous.
Earl wrote:

You keep telling yourself that - as your country, economy, and society disintegrates around you.
Don't feel sorry for me - we're doing just fine here in Canada.
Why should anyone be jealous of a country going down the toilet? I know you think you're the center of the universe, and that no-one on planet earth has it better than you - you've been saturated in that propaganda your whole life. See how far that gets you now.
On 7/4/2012 9:26 AM, Home Guy wrote:

You're just happy in being a pest. Probably the only way you can get attention.
Frank wrote:

then don't give it to him<g>
On 7/4/2012 12:32 PM, ChairMan wrote:

You're right of course. Time to kill file him.
Frank wrote:

silence is golden ;)