OT Tire valve caps

You *are* aware, aren't you, that air is 79% percent nitrogen anyway?
On 7/17/2014 9:49 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I was at a tire store last week and there was some nutcake demanding nitrogen be used on his PT Cruiser clown car. ROFLMAO!

What a great idea! I need a few. I recently bought some valve caps with built-in pressure indicators but one of them already blew off the valve stem for some reason. So far the other three are holding but I am beginning to wonder about how good it is long-term to have the valve pin always depressed (so that the caps can read the tire pressure). I guess we'll see. At least when the one valve cap blew off, it failed "safe" and didn't deflate the tire.
--
Bobby G.

Tony Hwang posted <Hi, ------------------- <New cars have tire pressure monitor valves. Don't need to check <pressure unless monitor senses it. Put in Nitrogen which is more stable.
Baloney, stable isn't why you use nitrogen.. The nitrogen molecules are larger than the oxygen molecules, and don't leak out/seep through the rubber as quickly, so the pressure drop due to leakage is less.

That is why I said it is stable. Every one ought to know that!!! Why being stable is balony???
On 7/19/2014 4:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

How much does it really matter? I had new tires put on my car last November. Air pressure is still OK. Previous tires I added air one time that I can recall.
Nitrogen was initially used for aircraft tires subjected to radical temperature changes and high speed landings. Later, race cars started. Personally, I could not be bothered.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The summer temp is as high as 30C and in winter it drops as low as -35C, fluctuation of tire pressure is quite noticeable between season. Local Costco tire shops use only Nitrogen, some shops charge extra for that. Pretty soon I need a set of new summer tires, probably go for Continental Contact LX2 with Nitrogen..
On 7/19/2014 10:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

You have summer and winter tires? Get a set of Nokian WR3G for year round use. http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/
On 7/19/14, 5:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

One advantage to nitrogen is that it's dry. When I used a compressor to fill an air tank to work on farm tires, water would accumulate in the tank. The partial pressure of moisture in a tire could vary a lot with temperature. A race car could develop too much pressure in its hot tires, and a plane could touch down with too little in its cold tires.
On 7/20/2014 1:25 AM, J Burns wrote:

None of this matters. I want to hear about valve caps!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Don't matter now. There is tires which are flat proof sort of.

All season tires are a compromize - even Nokians.
I use ice and snow tires for the winter, and high performance touring tires for the summer except, at least for now, my wife's car. She does not need to go anywhere if the roads are bad - I can take her where she needs to go with the truck, So she's got TigerPaw Touring tires on the Taurus. (car goes about 5000km a year if we don't take a major summer road trip)
On 7/19/2014 11:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Unlike "all season" tires, they have a real snow rating. Smooth ride at 110 mph too.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

What is UTQG rating on them? I did not give too much attention when they came out. We always have two sets of tires per vehicle. Winter and summer. Always drive AWD type.
On 7/20/2014 2:03 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

A/A/500 A review here http://www.marathonauto.com/tires/all-season-tire-ratings-reviews.html
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Right, winter tires here is Nokian, Toyo, Michelin X Ice II on separate steel rims. I change tires myself since I have needed tools at home garage. Compressor, all the air tools and 3.5 ton floor jack, etc. Every vehicles in my family are AWD, still winter tires do help in snow and on ice.
On 7/20/2014 2:00 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Baah, this is all trivia. brand, tread, none matters. Do you have stainless valve caps? With anti corrosive thread treatment?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My car came with OEM pressure monitoring system, son's being high performance type it is dressed up. Wife's, just AWD jalopy she loves, won't have any thing else. I even tried to bribe her with Bimmer X3, LOL! She used to drive around when kids were young a 1 ton camoerized/tow van. Our car buying days are over. At 75, we have to take physical exam to renew license, and then every two years there after. When we're not allowed to drive, I guess we have to move into down town condo or move out to cabin. Or time to say bye to mother earth for another journey, LOL!