OT Tire pressure sensors

Page 5 of 5
On 10/23/2013 7:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Lemme guess...the tire store told you that.
On 10/23/2013 7:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Don't believe so but one went bad in wife's Subaru and it cost $200 to have replaced.
How did we survive all these years without these? Thank the bastards, you know where.
On 10/24/2013 08:11 AM, Frank wrote:

That right there is probably why some people recommend sensor replacement with tires, because labor is expensive. If you're paying to have the tire mounted and balanced anyway, $200 for four sensors is "insurance" because you'd lose if even one of the sensors went bad before you had to replace tires again.
I have to admit to having gambled and lost; I had the wheels refinished on my car last winter (I have a set of winter wheels and tires; powerful RWD cars, summer-only tires, and snow don't mix) and at the time the car was four years old (was a very early 2009 model year build.) The guy doing the wheels said my valve stems were unsalvageable, could I please find him new ones. I asked if I should get new sensors at the same time; he said "probably not."
I had a TPMS fault when I mounted the wheels in the spring :( Even more irritating, I couldn't fix it myself because my car doesn't display the measured pressure in each wheel or even tell me which sensor isn't communicating; I would have needed either a OBD2 scanner or the tool that the local tire shop uses that basically is a receiver for the signals that the TPMS sensors send out. And yes, I paid more than it would have cost to order the sensors from Tire Rack to get one from the dealership and have the tire shop install it. You live and learn.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I have a bad one on my Toyota truck. The tire place where I bought some tires wanted about $ 60 or $ 70 to replace one. Did not check with Toyota dealer. The truck will pass the state inspection (NC) without it, so I just ride around with the warning light on now. Before I got it in 2007, I did not have an air sensor and got along just fine checking the tires every month or so.

You and uncountable thousands.

These days all it takes is a few incidents (or just one) to cause major changes in policy covering millions of actions. Completely unrealistic, but that's government by activism.
--
Tegger

On 10/23/2013 07:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Not true... they last about 5 years as long as they aren't abused by an idiot that doesn't know how to mount and dismount tires.
But yes, they are expensive. about $50/wheel for my BMW (well, a lot more if you shop at the BMW dealership)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Costco doesn't replace with new----they use a kit and rebuild (replace seals etc.) for about $8.00 ea (at least that's the amount I seem to recall--could be different but it wasn't expensive) MLD
On 10/24/2013 12:26 PM, MLD wrote:

That doesn't replace the sensor only the seals around the valve stem. The sensors do have a finite life as they have an internal cell that provides power which tends to last about 5 years or so.
Given my own experiences, if I had to have a tire dismounted and knew that my sensors were 4+ years old I would go ahead and replace the sensor at that time. However if you only get 2-3 years out of a set of tires, I'd schedule new sensors every other tire change.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel