OT Tire pressure sensors

Page 4 of 5
On 10/25/2013 1:36 PM, Ron wrote: ...

I'm reporting my experience over about 30 yr now...

On 10/25/2013 3:04 PM, dpb wrote:

And, it should be obvious I'm not reporting on the overall treadwear difference front/rear but the irregular wear on individual tires. I've no interest in making all four wear out at once particularly; just get the full longevity of each. I see no preferential outer wear on fronts on the GM vehicles w/o rotation.

On 10/25/13 1:11 PM, dpb wrote:

The road grader didn't make it past my parent's farm for a long time one summer. A corn plant managed to grow and tassel on the road before the grader got it. It was a bit surprising it managed to grow on a gravel road.
On 10/25/2013 5:18 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote: ...

Definitely must rain there more than here... :)
Although they will certainly "weed over" pretty quickly if not enough traffic and maintenance, indeed. This road now unfortunately has been cut through on east and south into OK so it's a bypass route from town to down that way that didn't used to be. That puts a lot more traffic on it than was years ago -- plus the trucks heading to/from the commercial feedlot east come down this one to avoid the long light at the corner a mile north even though that way is all paved. They keep it pretty well torn up... :(

On 10/24/2013 6:13 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

And the rear will be cupped just enough to make a lot of noise
On 10/24/2013 02:00 PM, dpb wrote:

Impalas 2006-2009 at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Yw09PDFms

nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 10/24/2013 2:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

See other subthread to Ron--turns out we were talking apples/oranges...

On 10/23/13 7:48 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Where is this "every time" idea documented ??
Depending on which style of sensor is used, only the rubber valve stem needs replaced with a repair/rebuild kit like this:
http://tinyurl.com/n8txtoj
or
http://www.carparts.com/details/Toyota/Camry/Dorman/TPMS_Valve_Stem/2007/RB974000.html?TID 000000CP&origin=pla&CP=1&CP_SRC=PPC&003'372932&010=cpdotpvast07toyotacamry20072010dormanrb9740001177526&gclid=CPmZ4JuhrroCFc2d4AodOjsA6w
Do a little reading here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid 2

They're not meant to be money saving.
They're meant to satisfy an NHTSA safety regulation that all tires have their pressures monitored by an on-board computer.
The idea is that you'll thus be less likely to have a blowout that might cause the vehicle to crash and kill you. Not that that's particularly likely anyway, but once activists and bureaucrats get a bee in their bonnets, there's no stopping them.

Who told you that? It's wrong. The TMPS sensor should unscrew from the valve stem, allowing it to be transferred to the new valve stem that will come with the new tire.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

I was under the impression the sensor was viewing a profile of the tire. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything attached to the valve stem!

All the sensor does is detect the absolute pressure inside the tire; it doesn't care about anything else.
Some types of sensors are unique to each tire, and communicate with a receiver mounted on the body near that tire, which then talks to the TPMS computer. Other types communicate directly with the TPMS computer, meaning the computer doesn't know which tire is low, and you need to check all four.
The "unique sensor" type seems to be found mostly on vehicles marketed as higher-end.

If the stem is metal, then you have a sensor screwed to the other end of the stem.
If the stem is rubber, then there is nothing attached to the stem; instead, TPMS uses the ABS to infer pressure differential from tire to tire: too great a difference in rotational speeds, then one tire is lower than the other.
--
Tegger

On 10/24/2013 8:22 AM, Tegger wrote:

Thank you for providing an explanation.
Bill
On 10/24/2013 08:22 AM, Tegger wrote:

Typically you can also get temperature information from the sensors. However some (most) vehicles do not present the information to the driver. e.g. while the sensors are reasonably accurate my old company car (GM) would only display pressure information and my current BMW dumbs it down even more and just displays a green/yellow/red indication on a graphic.

They're not really unique, but when buying replacements there are different models that communicate at different frequencies.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

What I meant was that each sensor on such a vehicle is unique to each /wheel/; IOW, you can't swap them around without doing a relearn.
--
Tegger

On 10/24/2013 12:21 PM, Tegger wrote:

True - I didn't consider that as it's cake easy on my car. Takes about 2 minutes whenever I swap wheels. Some other vehicles require a procedure with deflating and reinflating tires in sequence which is a pain unless you have a compressor.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:22:40 AM UTC-7, Tegger wrote:

Just how does it tell a "low tire" from a properly inflated one when going around a sharp corner?
Harry K
On 10/24/2013 03:45 PM, Harry K wrote:

I'm assuming that the software is programmed to allow for a decent amount of time with consistent rotational speed differences before throwing the light.
You could probably trick it by driving around in the same circle for several minutes, but a) I don't have a car with FTM (FTM = Flat Tire Monitor e.g. inferred from ABS wheel speed sensors; TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitor System) and b) I'm not that bored.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 10/24/2013 3:45 PM, Harry K wrote:

It judges after a certain distance of straight driving. My Buick would trip at about 5 psi difference.
On 10/23/13 11:44 PM, Bill wrote:

Take a look at the pictures at
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid 2
On 10/23/2013 9:45 PM, Tegger wrote:

I'll just stick with my factory aluminum vale stems when I need a tire change.