OT Tire pressure sensors

See other subthread to Ron--turns out we were talking apples/oranges...

Reply to
dpb

About the last car I can recall that "religiously" rotated tires on would probably have been the '69 Charger... :) -- and even that would have been pretty irregular. Once the bias-ply 6.70-15 nylon cord construction disappeared, there really was little need afaict.

Reply to
dpb

GM FWD cars chew up the outsides of the front tires like you wouldn't believe. If you don't rotate you'll end up replacing the fronts 2x as often as the rears.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not just GM. All FWD cars wear out the front tires much quicker than the rear. I've never heard of anyone (until now) not rotating their tires.

Reply to
Ron

Well, BMW specifically recommend against it.

I can't rotate my summer set as it's staggered, but I'm definitely putting my winters on opposite of how I did last year... I must have a heavy foot, the rears are 2x as worn as the fronts!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And it goes up more during the race, until you have to let some out?

Reply to
krw

Crew chiefs (some better than others) know how much pressure will build up during a run so they adjust accordingly. Some tires do gain too much pressure which makes the front end bounce. It has been described as driving with 2 basketballs on the front.

Check out what a team (RCR) did back in '06

Ron

Waste of time/money if you axe me.

I check my psis 1-2x per month.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

And the rear will be cupped just enough to make a lot of noise

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Really? I know lots of people that don't rotate. I'm rather lax about it myself and am way overdue by 17000 miles.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It judges after a certain distance of straight driving. My Buick would trip at about 5 psi difference.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's all complete horse pukey. The explorers problems were ENTIRELY due to defective firestone tires, not low tire pressure. The tires were literally crap from the day they were made, they were not even balanceable, I own a 92 explorer and have since it was new. I threw out the firestones with half the tread still on them because they were NOT balanceable and literally would shake the truck like it was on a log road. A new set of Michelins and the truck rode like it was on glass. Ford also sold the same vehicle with Goodyear tires on it. They had NONE of the alleged "low pressure" problems on the ones with the Goodyear tires because it wasn't 'low pressure' that was the problem, it was the crap firestone tires. I have seen so many firestones blow out over the years that I will NEVER buy another firestone, just not worth the risk.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Incidentally, 4x4 Explorers had lower fatality RATES then some Mercedes cars and most other SUV's. Ford didn't screw anything, they just got caught in a massive media frenzy over nothing just like the media frenzy of "exploding" crown vics. Another myth constructed entirely in the media.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

On 10-24-2013, 01:56, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > This isn't all SUVs, it was certain Ford Explorers with a SUV body on

And as usual, the politicians can't understand that the fly is faster than the sledgehammer.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

I learned a lesson on my Subaru about tire rotation. I waited about twice as long to rotate the tires as I should've. It didn't take long before tires started wearing really badly. The lesson I think is rotate on schedule or not at all. Tires are one thing that have really improved over the years. It used to be common to see people changing tires along the roads. It's fairly rare now.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 10/25/2013 6:59 AM, Dean Hoffman > wrote: ...

All rotating does is camouflage the wear by moving a given wear pattern to another location. If the vehicle is set up properly and the tires are properly inflated, they shouldn't have such differential wear.

That depends on how many nails are in the roadways... :) On our country roads there are always things every time they grade them chances are pretty high of picking up something. It's rare to go a month without a flat on at least one of the vehicles. :( Highway/town driving is far safer from that standpoint -- I don't recall when I last had a flat on a trip other than discovering a slow leak on second day out or so.

Reply to
dpb

I don't know where you are getting your info from, but considering that on a FWD car the weight distribution is roughly 60-40, that puts most of the vehicles weight on the front tires. Not to mention the front tires are steering the vehicle and doing most of the braking putting even more wear on the tires. Like I said, every single FWD car that I've owned (including one of my current ones) have always worn down the front tires quicker than the rears. And I'm not talking about wear patterns (I only had that problem on a Honda Accord)...I'm talking about tread depth. Let me Google something real quick...OK I'm back. Read this....

Tire rotation or rotating tires is the practice of moving automobile wheels and tires from one position on the car, to another, to ensure even tire wear. Tire wear is uneven for any number of reasons. Even tire wear is desirable to maintain consistent performance in the vehicle and to extend the overall life of a set of tires.

By design, the weight on the front and rear axles differs which causes uneven wear. With the majority of cars being front-engine cars, the front axle typically bears more of the weight. For rear wheel drive vehicles, the weight distribution between front and back approaches

50:50. Front-wheel drive vehicles also have the differential in front, adding to the weight, with a typical weight distribution of no better than 60:40. This means, all else being equal, the front tires wear out at almost twice the rate of the rear wheels, especially when factoring the additional stress that braking puts on the front tires. Thus, tire rotation needs to occur more frequently for front-wheel drive vehicles.

Ron

On 10/25/2013 1:36 PM, Ron wrote: ...

I'm reporting my experience over about 30 yr now...

Reply to
dpb

The road grader didn't make it past my parent's farm for a long time one summer. A corn plant managed to grow and tassel on the road before the grader got it. It was a bit surprising it managed to grow on a gravel road.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 10/25/2013 5:18 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote: ...

Definitely must rain there more than here... :)

Although they will certainly "weed over" pretty quickly if not enough traffic and maintenance, indeed. This road now unfortunately has been cut through on east and south into OK so it's a bypass route from town to down that way that didn't used to be. That puts a lot more traffic on it than was years ago -- plus the trucks heading to/from the commercial feedlot east come down this one to avoid the long light at the corner a mile north even though that way is all paved. They keep it pretty well torn up... :(

Reply to
dpb