OT Tire pressure sensors

Page 1 of 5
Anyone think those are a money saving devices? I just learned that the sensors in tires should be replaced every time you buy tires and they are over 40 bucks per tire.
The cost would seem to outweigh any savings from preventing any improper tire wear.
Metspitzer wrote:

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be "reset"--not trivial, but takes less than 5 minutes after you spend 10 minutes reading the directions in your owners manual.

Bill wrote:

Hi, IMO, that's a matter of personal opinion. Our cars came with it on both summer tires and winter tires which has Nitrogen gas inflated. I like it as a safety feature.
On 10/23/2013 8:31 PM, Bill wrote:

Not on my vehicle (the 5 minutes).
It's more about safety than anything, and helped keep the SUV markets alive when roll overs were happening with them. Next time ur on the highway and a big arse SUV is running along side or coming at you, it would be best if it had enough air in it's tires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 19:46:56 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy

That would make more sense.
On 10/23/2013 7:46 PM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

I remember while I was driving my full sized V8 powered Dodge van when something like a Toyota SUV pulled up next to me and the damned thing was bigger than my van. Geeez! o_O
TDD
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 19:46:56 -0500, Fat-Dumb and Happy

This isn't all SUVs, it was certain Ford Explorers with a SUV body on a passenger car suspension and the wrong tires spec'ed because Ford was in bed with Firestone.
They are hitting a fly with a huge government sledge hammer.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Not quite.
Ford was seeking a softer ride for the Explorer, so they specified a lower pressure than Firestone spec'ed for that tire. The problem was that by spec'ing such a low pressure they removed the safety factor, meaning that only a little pressure could be lost before the tire was in danger of overheating. Then one day an Explorer in Texas during a heat wave had a low-pressure situation, a tire blew, the vehicle rolled and somebody died. I can't quite remember now, but I believe the deceased was beltless.
Ford tried to blame Firestone, which did their own investigation, discovered the non-authorized pressure setting, and disclaimed responsibility. Then the lawyers and activists got involved and we now have mandated TPMS. Never mind that Texas-type incidents are vanishingly rare ("if it saves just one life!"; "it's for the Children!").

An expensive and troublesome government sledgehammer. I've noticed a surprising number of people just ignoring the light. They check the pressures and they're all apparently fine, so they give up.
--
Tegger

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:40:23 AM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:
m:

.

ve

I had a Volvo in which one of the sensors went bad. I'd get the warning on very hot days, temps over 90 F. The first time it went on, I pulled over an d checked the tires; all were OK. After a few times, I just started ignorin g it. I routinely check the tire pressure on both cars and the truck every month.
Paul

That's all complete horse pukey. The explorers problems were ENTIRELY due to defective firestone tires, not low tire pressure. The tires were literally crap from the day they were made, they were not even balanceable, I own a 92 explorer and have since it was new. I threw out the firestones with half the tread still on them because they were NOT balanceable and literally would shake the truck like it was on a log road. A new set of Michelins and the truck rode like it was on glass. Ford also sold the same vehicle with Goodyear tires on it. They had NONE of the alleged "low pressure" problems on the ones with the Goodyear tires because it wasn't 'low pressure' that was the problem, it was the crap firestone tires. I have seen so many firestones blow out over the years that I will NEVER buy another firestone, just not worth the risk.

It was ONE incident. I'm quite certain that there were many more other Firestone-equipped Explorers on the road that day in Texas, and all those other ones made it to where they were going without driving straight into the news..
Ford /did/ specify a lower pressure than Firestone recommended but, it appears only ONE Explorer suffered for it.
If it were up to me, I'd prohibit any government worker from having the power to mandate anything.
--
Tegger

Then why pay them at all?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

I wouldn't. I'd lay them off and make them get jobs that are more beneficial to the public at large, like sweeping floors or serving burgers.
--
Tegger

+1, though I don't think they're capable of either.

One of the things brought out in the lawsuits was the warranty claim history for the tires and aside from whether a blowout might have caused an accident (blowouts almost never do) the warranty history clearly showed a VERY VERY LARGE difference in tire warranty claims between the Firestone tires and the Goodyear tires. We had load range E Firestones on one of our work vans and TWO of the four tires blew out within 15,000 miles. These tires were scrupulously checked, virtually daily, for tire pressure and were never run low and were way over rated in terms of load capacity yet 50% of them failed. Yeah, it's anecdotal but this has been a recurring story of Firestone tires. Same thing happened on their original 500 series radials as well as their 721 series radials.
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 01:56:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The Explorer is not an "SUV body on a passenger car". The Explorer is a truck frame (identical to the Ranger) with a bit different body. But, yes, Ford screwed the pooch on that one.

When all government has is a huge government sledge hammer, the individual is always the nail.
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:36:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Incidentally, 4x4 Explorers had lower fatality RATES then some Mercedes cars and most other SUV's. Ford didn't screw anything, they just got caught in a massive media frenzy over nothing just like the media frenzy of "exploding" crown vics. Another myth constructed entirely in the media.

Over ONE incident. ONE is all it takes, these days. Never mind how many millions of other identical actions occurred that year with no problems, it's that ONE which counts.
Activists want the perfect world, and are quite willing to sacrifice you to achieve it.

And just like the "stuck gas pedal" Toyota thing, which didn't even result in ONE single crash or death.
But hey, that's government by activism, for you.
--
Tegger

We see the same thing in the anti-gun hysteria. The media has people so whipped into a frenzy it's beyond belief. I've talked to people who will refuse to attend a meeting if guns are going to be TALKED about and others who refuse to attend meetings if the organizers don't institute a ban on guns. These same people are more likely to be struck by lightening but they don't hide under their bed every time it rains. American has turned into a nation of fools lead by fools and it's heading down the crapper. People like to think we have some long long history of "being right" in everything American but in terms of world history the USA spans barely more then 2 centuries and it's not hard to imagine there won't be much left of it by the time of its 300 year birthday. Things could change but I'm not optimistic.