OT: Time for a new set of tires for summer only

Page 2 of 2
On 8/26/2014 10:53 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Here in CT we can have studs a few month of winter. I don't recall seeing a car with chains in the last 40+ years. The roads are well plowed so unless you have a private road or long driveway, chains are of little use.
Last November I put on a set of Nokian WRG3 tires. Snow rated, but also a highway tire rated a 149 mph. Best tire I've ever had.

Neither are any good for driving any distance at any speed, and the grippers are a lot easier to put on and take off. There is nothing like stopping at the side of the road to install repair links in a blizzard at -30 or worse. And they can do a heck of a lot of damage to a car when (not if) they let go. The only vehicle I felt comfortable with chains on was the old Ex Army Dodge Power Wagon (1943-46 vintage) I used as a tow truck for a number of years - with the old military issue lug tires that were pretty useless in snow without the chains. It had a top speed of just over 45mph, so speed was no issue.
Terry Coombs wrote:

I noticed it without really noticing it but an email from a friend called it to my attention; I think the hummingbirs and swallows have already left for Capistrano or wherever they go.

It tends to hover around 32 for a lot of the winter, so icy is a fact of life. Studs on the car and YakTrax on my boots. I've had mornings where I've had to put the YakTrax on to make it the 50' across the comapny parking lot without falling on my ass.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Typically we don't have that much snow in the valley but ice abounds. Every year the 4WD crowd with their fancy tires have a learning experience on the first icy morning.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I drove OTR for a few years, If I never see another set of chains it will be too soon. California is the worst. They want a set of triple rails on one set of drivers, single rails on the other set, and a drag on one of the trailer wheels. That's a lot of iron to drag through the snow.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I hope that's a Canadian G.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had a set of Nokians but couldn't get them the last time around. Finns know a thing or two about winter tires. iirc, they even make studded bicycle tires.
rbowman posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Could you explain what triple rails and drags means? Never heard the terms...
--
Tekkie

|>-<|>-<|>-<| Single chains are like | | | |
Drag chains are chains on trailers to enhance braking. Generally singlesri chains are more effective, same as on drive wheels.