OT: Time for a new set of tires for summer only

Page 1 of 2
Hi, Need a set, not all season type, summer tires. Have a set of winter, snow/ice tires on rims. Any suggestions/recommendations please. Size is 2255/55-18 for my main daily driver(SUV) TIA,
On 08/25/14 04:57 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Check out TireRack.com, but don't necessarily buy from them.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Hi, I wish we had good prices like Tirerack. Even if we could order from them, local shop don't like to instaall some one else's tires. Always hassle.
On 08/25/14 05:30 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

But at least you could check out their reviews and get some ideas about what would suit you best.

I used to be a cheapest set possible guy. Then I decided to replace the original tires on a Dodge Durango, worn out after 48K, with a set of Michelin LTXs. Amazing difference in ride (much quieter) and wear (50K and they still look new).
All Season isn't just winter - they work well in rain and on dusty roads that just got wet.
On 8/25/14, 4:57 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Wherever you inquire, be sure to tell them you want their inflated price. I've been around the block a couple of times, and that's about how long tires last if they're not inflated.
J Burns wrote:

Hmm, Another catch is my car tires have TPSM. Another money eater. Reprogram or repelace with new set?
On 08/25/14 09:08 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

But don't those sensors go with the wheels rather than with the tires? When I had new tires (shipped by TireRack to one of their nearby cooperating installers), I don't recall anything having to be done about the pressure sensors.
Perce

Well, you basically have a choice of a performance touring tire or an all-season. For every-day driving I would likely use a mild all-season.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, Decided to try a set of Conti crosscontact LX20. Dinged me 1.3G. Will report back after puttting on some miles until snow starts.
On 8/27/2014 2:06 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Sounds about right for a really good tire. I can't find any of those $9 recaps I bought in high school in 1962.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, I don't think they do it for consumer tires nowadays.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:34:44 -0600, Arthur Conan Doyle

In my experience all season tires are all-season tires only where it does not freeze or snow. Usually excellent 3 season tires here in Ontario.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 22:55:11 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

You NEED a second set of rims - best to put TPSM on them too. 255-55 18 inch tires are too pricey to take chances mounting and demounting twice a year. What kind of SUV? There might be reasonably priced alternative rims - would there be smaller rims that would allow higher profile, lower cost tires to be installed? A 5.4mm sidewall is ridiculous on an SUV if you are off pavement, or on rough pavement.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, 2008 Acura MDX, logged almost 60K miles on the odo. winter tires are mounted on separate steel rims. All our cars are AWD, even at that all has separate winter tires on steel rims. Most popular at Tirrerack seems Conti crosscontact LX20 for this vehicle.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Unless your TPSM is smarter than the one in my Toyota, ignore it. My winter rims with studded tires don't ahve the sensors. The light stays on all winter. BFD. A least on that cars you can rewire the module and throw in a resistor to make it happy but the light isn't that obnoxious. Black electrical tape is the low tech solution.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

From about Thanksgiving to sometime in April, I run studs. I sort of like staying on the road.
rbowman wrote:

Around here I can't get studs ... , so I'll be picking up a set of chains for the front of my wife's 4x4 Forerunner . Old Farmers Almanac says hang onto your longjohns , it's gonna be another winter like last year ... with even more snow . My truck will have 2 sets , since it's only 2wd and I don't ever want to be in the situation I had last winter . The wife flipped her car in icy conditions , I was trapped down here because I had no chains and it was so slick you couldn't even stand up .
--
Snag

I ran them back in the sixties and early seventies but they've banned them up here. Ran on all seasons for a few years in the early 2000s, but went back to snows again.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, Studs are illegal where I am. Chain is not.