OT Tilt steering wheels and ice

Page 1 of 2
OT?
Didn't they start putting switches to turn off the air bags on the right side of cars in case the passenger was short?
Sometimes, especially on very short trips, I don't tilt my tilt steering wheel back down, and drive it like it was a bus (or a truck?).
In the snow today, it occurred to me that now the steering wheel points much higher, and it's like i'm short.
So if I skid into something and the bag goes off, is it going to break my neck?
I'm serious.
Add pictures here
✖

Air bags can be stupid. I sit far back, not like these idiots hunched over the steering wheel. A dumb kid drove out from the side and I T-boned his car. Both bags went off. Not too much damage to the car. Since both bags deployed my car was totaled. Too expensive to fix. The bag never touched me. Then the crazy white powder from the bags was all in the air and I couldn't see to move my car to the side of the road.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/17/2010 2:28 AM, Lisa BB. wrote:

Happened to me. Totaled car and if only one bag had went off as on recent models (mine was a '98) it probably would have been salvageable.
I did not fault the bag as woman hit me head on and bag and belt saved me from injury except for bruise from belt. Woman was hospitalized with back problems.
I think biggest caution for drivers is not to put their hands on top of wheel as airbag could throw your arms into your face causing injuries to both arms and face.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 07:28:11 +0000, Lisa BB. wrote:

We bought an '08 van for peanuts from an insurance company earlier in the year - they were going to junk it because it had hit a deer and both front bags had deployed, which made the cost to repair it too high in their eyes (about $800 in replacement parts and spray-work, about $1000 to put the stupid bags right)
Our insurance company were happy to insure it liability-only with no bags, though (and we only ever put basic liability on any of our vehicles anyway, so not loss to us there). I've got a little bit of black electrical tape over the airbag warning light :-)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 17, 10:36 am, Jules Richardson

Not everybody can sit far back. Short people have to sit closer than the 10" minimum considered safe. Either that, or get those pedal extenders, which may or may not be safe.
As to air bags, in my one & only injury accident, the air bag probably saved my life.
HB
Add pictures here
✖

Never, ever hide your cocaine in those bags. You should've known better.
Add pictures here
✖
On 12/17/2010 12:45 AM, mm wrote:

It will pop your head off like it was a champagne cork. :-)
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

The air bag deploys at such a rapid rate, your head will never get to the airbag before it is totally inflated, unless your face is within a few inches of the airbag. You'll be fine.
Hank
Add pictures here
✖

Aw shucks, there goes another good urban legend.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
mm wrote:

They are deadly and should be gotten rid of. They are just accidents waiting to happen.
--
LSMFT

✖

Yeah, and they should do away with those stupid seat belts also. <rolling eyes>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrwfvVgERWE

Add pictures here
✖

And all that useless padding. Look at all the weight that could be saved removing all that stuff.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

I'd take out the gas tank first. There's a 100lbs of useless liquid in there.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 18, 8:08 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

And it renders to vehicle totally safe!!
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

And hood ornaments to poke our eyes out.
Add pictures here
✖

Or do a very good job of emasculation.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Why is it that hood ornmaments like that are illegal on new cars, but I thing you can still install them on your own car? Can you still do that?
(Yes I know it's your own car, but I don't think it matters.)
Add pictures here
✖

May not be legal but absent a safety inspection requirement how are they to know?
Europeans have stringent inspections but I managed to squeeze my old junker through one.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 21:21:23 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Easier than telling if your brakes have anything left in them.
They can look at the car when it is parked, or when you drive by, when they stop you for any other reason, or when you take the car in for a safety inspection.
Penssylvania used to have two safety inspections a year. They lowered that to one. Maryland otoh only requires safety inspection when you buy a used car. You can keep it for 40 years after than without ever getting it inspected again. But if the cops see something that violates the isnpection rules, they can give and will give you a "ticket" that allows you a few days to get it fixed and appear at a police station to verify that it's fixed, in which case there is no fine. My guess is that usually this is lights, occasionally springs, but it could include hood ornaments too.

Add pictures here
✖
<stuff snipped>

Yes, it does. The hood ornament placed on by the car maker falls under the "deep pocket" rule. They have lots of money to make suing them "pay." When you add one to your car, only you can be sued, not the car maker, and that means a "shallow pocket" (you) and probably not enough assets to attract a good lawyer. (-:
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
✖