OT. Three Counties Show (UK).

Yesterday went to Three counties show. (£16 to get in! Bloody hell!) http://www.threecounties.co.uk / You will be glad to hear America was represented. Jeep was there, also John Deere and Chevrolette. The Chevvies it has to be said didn't look like anything from America. The Jeeps all had diesel engines and of course RH drive. But John Deere looked all American. Also there, all their enemies. There was a strange man, claimed to be a cowboy from America. Had a horse that could do tricks allegedly related to cattle catching. Are there still cowboys in America or are they fakes? This one looked pretty fake. There were a couple of guys doing lumberjack tricks with axes involving climbing a pole. Yanks are trying to takeover :-) Arrgh...
Add pictures here
βœ–

"Chevrolet", not "Chevrolette". It's a French name.

Only one "v" in "Chevy", ya Limey. Now go away and drive your Voxell.
<insert smiley here>
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
βœ–

(Political correctness alert)
Or in the SW it's "I chouldn't drive my Cheby without inchurance."
-- Bobby G.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Green wrote the following:

"It's my cousin's cheby"
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

We've got them feathered dinosaurs up here. And everybody thought they were a Chinese hoax...
--
Tegger

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/20/11 12:09 PM, harry wrote:

Yes there are still real working cowboys and cattle ranches in the U.S. They still brand cattle in some parts, too. Some towns have the rodeo arenas next to the high school football (not soccer) fields. I think some cowboys actually make a living just off the prize money they win at rodeos. Then there are the poseurs. Drug store cowboys. Rexalls.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/21/11 2:29 AM, harry wrote:

There was an article in a newspaper awhile back talking about a rancher who didn't use horses for working cattle. He had a four wheeler or ATV. I would think he'd be a lot more vulnerable than if he was on a horse. Physical size matters. They use an old pickup at one of the nearby feedlots. I guess it has a few dents in it from grouchy cattle. Another close one uses horses. I can't imagine using a helicopter. That would be way too expensive.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dean Hoffman wrote:

Around here almost everybody uses 4-wheelers at least some, any more. They don't need feeding except when running, are already saddled and ready to go (most of the time, anyway :) ) and don't need rubbing down in the evening. OTOH, they aren't as intelligent as the good cow pony... :)
They have disadvantages, too; they are accident prone in rough country so the horse is definitely not passe. Then again, a good friend was just injured severely by his horse a month or so ago; he's still in rehab and will be for several more months.
The helicopter thing is definitely reserved for the really large ranches or extremely remote country where typically only go out on fall roundup and maybe a spring one as well. It's tough roping from one, though... :)
The highest number of riders employed around here are in the feedlots as pen riders; they are mounted virtually the entire day, every day.
Rodeo (particularly professional) is quite a different exercise only very remotely related to actual working practices--it's stylistic if you will. The calf roping event is closest to a real operation excepting for just letting the animal up when its caught w/o doing the work that was the reason for catching it to begin with on the ranch... :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
dpb wrote the following:

Horse and injury reminds me of a joke by "Larry the Cable Guy" on The Blue Collar Comedy channel on SiriusXM satellite radio. I tried Googling it, but just came up with variations, but as I remember it, it went something like; "I got me a horse and took it for a ride. It stepped in a gopher hole and broke his leg. I called the vet and asked him what to do. He said he couldn't do anything for it and I would have to shoot it. I didn't know how that would help, but the vet knows better, so I shot him. Now I got me a horse with a broke leg and a gunshot wound. If he doesn't get any better, I'll try shootin' him again". For you Furriners, Larry the Cable Guy was the voice of 'Mater', the tow truck in Disney's animated movie "Cars".

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Vet jokes always remind me first of my brother who is one and second of the story Baxter Black tells the following story of how he got out of being a vet to a fulltime cowboy entertainer...
I was set up in a large animal practice out ther in E Co ranch country and just not gettin' anywhere in that dry and dusty place w/ only about three ranches in the whole county could drive to in a day. So, called the Vet School to get some help in determing the problem. Well, first thing this city fella' did was ask me how I was charging clients. So, I told him what I told them--"That'll be 50 bucks but I keep the hide."
=
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 00:29:47 -0700, harry wrote:

How they heck do they fly them when they lack opposable thumbs?
Add pictures here
βœ–