OT: "This is only a test"

"Cops are preparing for a blitz of panicked 911 calls during a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System, blanketing every TV and radio station coast-to-coast, that experts fear could produce a Orson Welles-like fear frenzy. Boston and state police said theyre both staffing extra 911 dispatchers to answer calls at 2 p.m. Wednesday, when the 30-second alert from the Federal Communications Commission will interrupt regularly scheduled programming on all TV and radio stations in the United States and Puerto Rico."
http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid 78990
A couple of observations:
1. If the authorities are pretty sure the test will induce wide-spread panic, clogging 911 operators, people having heart attacks, chickens not laying eggs, and so forth, then why do it? It's supposed to be a "nationwide" test, but what calamity could imperil the entire nation (including Puerto Rico)?
2. Nevertheless, it sounds like a perfect opportunity to run out in your front yard firing every gun you own to scare away the invaders, contagious germs, space aliens, and Occupy Wall Street hippies, all the while screaming "Run for your lives" and "Here Comes Peter Cottontail!"

One of the reasons that show had the big effect it did is that the most popular program of the week (whose name I used to konw) was on another network but ended 30 minutes into War of the Worlds. People changed stations to this play when their program was over, and hadn't heard the part at the start saying it was a story.

TV commericials?

Some radio stations in Nebraska run an emergency broadcast test now and then. They say something like "This was only a test. If this had been a real emergency........." I wonder why testing in stages isn't good enough. Any calamity that would engulf the entire U.S. would probably be too big to resist much anyhow. Continental U.S.? The Feds aren't leaving Alaska and Hawaii out, are they?

Just don't hit The Great Pumpkin.

conjunction with the weekly tornado siren test. I haven't been involved for years, but at one time it was a requirement for R&TV stations to do a EBS test weekly or so.

Because this is not a normal overlay type test, where the programming content is muted while the pre-recorded EAS message stored locally plays over the network feed, the entire national television programming feed will be preempted for 5 or so minutes with an actual live signal (even if it is just a test pattern) from the FEMA operations center -- it will be the same signal on every channel a la the "message from the White House scene" in the movie Independence Day...
That sort of test is without precedence, as in NEVER been done BEFORE...
So some people might just panic a little bit about that even though it will say "this is only a test" and all that and forget the fact that there have been huge outlays of cash by the government to pay for the advertising campaign...
~~ Evan

preparations for a asteroid impact???
or a terrorist nuke detonation?
or a killer disease running a muck thru our country?

Wow, are you an idiot or are you just unable to read English ?
There has never ever ever been a national test of the EAS system were the national command authority preempts all signal feeds at the same time on every channel nation-wide... It has always been done on a local/county/television market area level...
In some areas prone to extreme weather events the EAS system is used extensively by the local emergency authorities with locally generated content... This would appear to also be a network test of the satellite downlink for the FEMA signals as well as how long it takes to get on every channel everywhere...
Guessing that since the Dept of Homeland Security changed away from the "color of the day" method for spreading terror alert info that they want to confirm that they have the actual ability to break in on every channel everywhere in the event that something serious were to take place again by actually testing the override equipment to see how long it takes to capture all the feeds on a national scale...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

That's just it. What could possibly be serious enough to cover the whole country? And if something THAT bad is about to happen, what GOOD would it do to warn the whole country?
Napoleon complex at play here, you ask me.
On 11/8/2011 1:13 PM, HeyBub wrote:

how else are they going to tell us our alien overlords are here?
On 11/8/2011 3:13 PM, HeyBub wrote:

are landing, and they are not taking prisoners! Put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye!
--
aem sends....

EMP blackout. So much for that warning.
On 11/8/2011 2:39 PM, Evan wrote:

Careful, this is Usenet- you don't wanna be adding actual factual response here- people will get confused.
--
aem sends...

In article

But why? What will the Feds do better than than the TV networks and all the other modern news sources? The second plane hitting the Twin Towers on 9/11 was on TV as it happened if I remember right. The President has his retinue of reporters pretty much anywhere he goes.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

We have a winner! This is, then, a test to see if the emergency CALL CENTERS can handle a larger-than-peak load.
Damn. I just wish the government would tell the truth.