OT: There are more gun shops in the US than Starbucks, McDonald's and supermarkets put together

Page 8 of 13

Those are the shootings that make the news. Most shootings by pure numbers don't. It is people nobody cares about shooting people nobody cares about in gang wars and drug turf disputes.
On 18/06/2016 15:49, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Fair enough, show me a cite for that? There must be one.

You just have to look at the murder statistics from the big cities. St Louis (49.9 per 100,000), Detroit (43.6 per 100k) and New Orleans (38.7 per 100k) would be a good place to start. There are hundreds of gun murders in any of these cities but it is seldom you really hear much about it except when it is rolled up into the statistics. A "mass shooting" is defined as 3 or more people shot at one time (wounded or killed). That might be a school shooting that will be on CNN day and night for a month or , more likely, a drive by gang shooting in a ghetto that barely makes the news on the local station. They seldom do any kind of trace on those guns because most go unsolved. I saw a statistic in Baltimore that said they have hundreds of unsolved murders every year. (far less than half are closed)
On 18/06/2016 17:14, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ok, I can accept that :-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

not to mention that msnbc and mother jones aren't where you are going to find reliable info or facts
try here http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-control-myths/crime-and-guns/
On 18/06/2016 18:27, ChairMan wrote:

Hmm! I've checked only one of those stats, the one that said that 59% of UK homes were burgled whilst the occupants were inside. The real fact is only 22%. I wonder how many other facts were wrong.
Oren wrote:

not surprizing that the facts are always to much to read for the limeys. I'm sure there'll be the loud sound of crickets from it : )
Oren posted for all of us...

Did you watch the series Las Vegas Law? It is cases from the DA's office. The next to the last of the series was one with a knucklehead vs female sergeant. She responded to a robbery in progress IIRC and was overpowered by the actor whom was initially very compliant and proceeded to beat the snot out of her. She hung in there and sent the emergency out. Besides the major tuneup she received by pummeling and kicking the bozo was trying to grab her pistol. This turd was lifting her off the ground by the gun. Lucky for her the PD supplied holsters with excellent weapon retention. When he left the scene she was in shock but still able to tell other responders where he was. He was captured and is riding the bullet for life. Didn't even fight it. He admitted if he had gotten the weapon she would have been aced. Probably enjoys the gray bar motel. She's still a little f'd up and will probably go out on disability. Has 2(?) kids.
--
Tekkie

Perhaps you need to learn to read more carefully. I didn't say anything about guns used in mass shootings.
Or perhaps you think that mass shootings are the only crimes that occur here?

On 18/06/2016 16:01, Doug Miller wrote:

Well you've had 133 mass shootings of 4 or more persons between 2009 and 2015 alone.

Just as well, we wouldn't want the American population increasing. We have enough of them as it is.
--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Governments kill many more people with guns than criminals do. (In fact the largest single shooting in U.S. history was the Wounded Knee massacre.) Therefore if you really are interested in getting rid of guns and reducting gun-related deaths it makes the most sense to start taking guns away from the people who do the most damage with them.
Disarm government.
Oren wrote:

The number under bammy is almost 4-5 times as many as previous presidents in the last 20 years. Hell, its more than the last 4 combined

Exactly. The more people with legal weapons, the easier for a criminal to steal one.

And where do you think the people selling them illegally are getting them from? You for example could get a gun license, buy a load of guns, then sell them at a higher price to a criminal.
--
There was a young Chaplin from Kings,
Who talked about God and such things.

What you describe is itself illegal. It is a federal felony to purchase a firearm with the intent to transfer it to a third party -- even if that third party may legally own firearms. For example, I am legally able to own firearms, and can easily pass the required background check (as, indeed, I have done many times); yet both he and I are committing felonies if I give my neighbor (who can also pass the background check) the cash to purchase a gun on my behalf.
On 18/06/2016 16:04, Doug Miller wrote:

So does that mean you can only legally sell your guns to a licenced shop?

Not at all. What's prohibited is to purchase a gun on behalf of someone else.
On 18/06/2016 19:58, Doug Miller wrote:

Ah, I see.
On 6/18/16 10:42 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Which is already 100% against the law in all 50 states because it is a federal law And yet, US Attorney's nationwide only brought a total 9147 firearms related to court in FY 2013.

And criminals never ever break the law do they?

Only 9147, ROTFPMSL!
--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic -- Arthur C Clarke