OT: There are more gun shops in the US than Starbucks, McDonald's and supermarkets put together

Page 7 of 13
On 18/06/2016 16:25, Meanie wrote:

> The British Home Office, by contrast, has a substantially different definition of violent crime. The British definition includes all “crimes against the person,” including simple assaults, all robberies, and all “sexual offenses,” as opposed to the FBI, which only counts aggravated assaults and “forcible rapes.”
http://blog.skepticallibertarian.com/2013/01/12/fact-checking-ben-swann-is-the-uk-really-5-times-more-violent-than-the-us/
On 06/18/2016 06:41 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

Yes, and what a PM you have...

Agreed.
--
He'll be coming in her crevice when he comes,
he'll be coming in her crevice when he comes,
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 6:25:22 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:

It's not a "gun thing", it's more of a "dick thing"...like needing a jacked Ram with a noisy diesel. Babies need toys...
On 6/18/2016 7:25 AM, Bod wrote:

I think you should recheck your facts. The gun ban partook in Jan 1997. After that time, the average homicide rate began a steady climb and more than doubled between 2002 - 2003. The UK increased there police force and the rate slowly dropped but the rate is still higher today than it was before the ban partook. The similar data equates to Australia as well. Overall, violent crimes in the UK are more than doubled than the US.
http://www.criminaljusticedegreehub.com/violent-crime-us-abroad/
What these countries did was removed the ability for law abiding citizens to protect themselvs when attacked.
On 18/06/2016 15:45, Meanie wrote:

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/most-guns-mass-shootings-obtained-legally
On 6/18/2016 10:48 AM, Bod wrote:

First of all..... MSNBC? LMFAO! Yea, respectable news source....NOT! LMFAO!
Second of all, what part of the UK having a much higher violent crime rate than the US don't you comprehend?
On 18/06/2016 16:28, Meanie wrote:

> There's a reason for that which I've answered in a previous post.
BTW, this is a "respectable" (I assume) source:
7 facts about guns and mass shootings after Orlando | Miami Herald www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article83350817.html 6 days ago - There are various definitions of mass shootings, making the number .... In the same time period, however, there were 133 incidents in the United States. ... have legally purchased weapons since 2004, according to a 2015 U.S. ...
On 6/18/16 7:25 AM, Bod wrote:

The the only people safer in the UK since your government took your guns away some years back are the criminals. Crimes against persons as well as property zoomed after the people were disarmed and could no longer defend themselves against the bad guys.
--
If your intention was to do me harm, wouldn't you first attempt to
disarm me?
On 18/06/2016 16:58, Piso Mojado wrote:

Are you talking about the 1824 gun act or the more recent laws?
Were guns ever legal in the UK? | Yahoo Answers https://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid 130108212144AAoAhzg 8 Jan 2013 - I believe the first big law on guns was made in 1824 which made it illegal to carry a dangerous weapon of any kind in public without a valid ...

I live just outside of Chicago and never worry about my safety. I don't have any guns. Most people in the U.S don't have guns. That's a fact. Much ado about nothing.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net says...

Your choice.

Really?
--
RonNNN

On 06/18/2016 02:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

http://qz.com/437015/mapped-the-us-states-with-the-most-gun-owners-and-most-gun-deaths/
Living in a light pink state may color your perception, so to speak. You are correct though that nationally about two thirds of the households do not have a firearm. However, that ratio is reversed in this state. However, that does not prevent Illinois from having an above average murder rate.

I bet you don't go into Chicago much, then...

I'm not sure that's true. In the 1970s, surveys showed more than half of Americans stating that they owned firearm(s), but recently the numbers are down to around one-third -- but who knows if they're telling the truth? If someone I didn't know asked me if I have any firearms in my home, I think my answer would be "None of your damn business!"
I suspect the truth is that well over half of us own guns... but many, maybe most, of us who do, won't admit it to a stranger.
On 18/06/2016 21:08, Vic Smith wrote:

That's good to hear.

Why would we be jealous of being 10 times less likely to get shot?
--
A woman brought an old picture of her dead husband, wearing a hat, to the photographer. She wanted to know if the photographer could remove the hat from the picture.
He convinced her he could easily do that, and asked her what side of his head her husband parted his hair on.
On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 5:04:59 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:

So what? A lot of those "gun shops" are one guy selling a few guns out of his home. It's not like every gun shop is the size of WalMart.
Cindy Hamilton

But it's a convenient place to get one when you want to kill your neighbour.
--
"Sex is one of the most beautiful, wholesome, and natural things that money can buy." -- Steve Martin

Nearly all of the guns used to commit crimes here were stolen, or purchased illegally. Hardly any of our criminal guns are purchased legally from licensed dealers.
On 18/06/2016 14:46, Doug Miller wrote:

If you're going to state facts, it's best to check your facts. It's the very *opposite* of what you just said: More than 80% of guns used in mass shootings obtained legally
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/most-guns-mass-shootings-obtained-legally