OT: There are more gun shops in the US than Starbucks, McDonald's and supermarkets put together

Page 5 of 13

And many of them are. This one certainly was.
On 18/06/2016 13:33, Frank wrote:

> Hmm! the whole of the UK is a gun free zone, but we don't get mass shootings on anywhere near the scale that the US does. Food for thought?

No, you have stabbings instead -- and you still have shootings anyway. Your gun laws didn't do much to save Jo Cox, did they? How did Tommy Mair get a gun, anyway, if "the whole of the UK is a gun free zone"?

Yes, it makes me think that if Jo Cox had been allowed to carry a handgun for self defense, she'd probably still be alive.
On 18/06/2016 14:18, Doug Miller wrote:

How? gunman surprises the woman and shoots her 3 times and then stabs her, unless she had a gun in her hand at that very moment she would never have got her gun out of her bag in time.
On 18/06/2016 14:18, Doug Miller wrote:

It was an unarmed man who tackled the gunman until the police arrived. The man was captured alive and will face justice.
On 06/18/2016 07:31 AM, Bod wrote:

Jared Loughner was detained by unarmed persons in the crowd until the police arrived. He's currently servince 7 consecutive life sentences plus 14o yeas in DMC Rochester. Your point?
On 18/06/2016 19:49, rbowman wrote:

> How can someone serve 7 life sentences plus 140 years!?
On 06/19/2016 12:18 AM, Bod wrote:

They're keep resuscitating him. In the US, a life sentence does not necessarily mean life if there is an possibility of parole. There are life without parole sentences but I don't know if they apply to every jurisdiction. Even with them there exists the possibility at some time a court could decide they were cruel and unusual punishment and over turn them. Stacking sentences means if you're eligible for parole for the first one after 20 years, then you can spend the next 20 years working on a parole for your second offense, and so forth.
The other part is to protect against one of the sentences being overturned. For example, in this case, if during an appeal it was found X was actually killed by police fire, there are still six sentences to go.
FMC (Federal Medical Center) Rochester is an administrative facility for handling inmates with special health problems, including mental health. As prisons go, it has to be a lot better than places like USP Florence ADX (SuperMax).
The entire process was a charade. At first Loughner was found incompetent. He was treated with anti-psychotics in an attempt to get him rational enough to try. When he refused the anti-psychotics, the 9th Circuit, the most liberal in the nation, found that since he was presumed innocent, he could not be forced to take medication. The Feds continued treatment and the 9th turned down a new appeal.
Part of the sentencing was political. The state of Arizona could have began proceedings on behalf of the Arizona citizens who had been killed along with those who were Federal government members but this allowed them to say 'what can we do that the Federal judge didn't?'
On 6/19/2016 12:35 PM, rbowman wrote:

LOL! They can't, silly! They just ask that he do the best he can!

That still seems daft to me. If he's sentenced to life for each and every one of the murders, then if he is subsequently proved to be innocent of one or more of those murders he would still be serving life for the other ones and the life sentence could only be quashed if he is cleared of all of the murders. It just seems to be overly complicated.
On 06/20/2016 01:13 AM, Bod wrote:

Anything involving lawyers usually is.
On 20/06/2016 14:34, rbowman wrote:

> That's very true.
On 6/19/2016 2:18 AM, Bod wrote:

Because our judicial system is a joke.

That was a long time ago and no longer relevant.

No, we have a Prime Minister. The crown is a figurehead for tourists, with no powers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
USA: 10.54 per 100,000 per year. UK: 0.23 per 100,000 per year.
That's a ratio of 46. You lot are a bunch of murdering Neanderthals.
--
"When one engine fails on a twin-engine aeroplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash."

Who is appointed by the queen.

I think Elizabeth would be surprised to hear that she has no powers.

First of all, over 60 percent of the firearms deaths in the United States are suicides, not murders.
Second, we have 112,600 guns per 100,000 people; you have 6,600. So the disparity isn't nearly as large as you would make it appear to be.
Finally, we're also a lot of *free* Neanderthals who are not subjects of any monarch. Remember that our country was founded because *your* monarch was a despot.
On 18/06/2016 14:39, Doug Miller wrote:

She doesn't interfere in ANY policies, she remains neutral and is simply a figure head.
On 6/18/2016 9:44 AM, Bod wrote:

Yet, your tax dollars pay for her and her family to live in great luxury while you commoners struggle.
On 18/06/2016 15:59, Meanie wrote:

> ^It costs only 62 pence a year per person per year. Hardly bank a breaking figure.
On 6/18/2016 11:06 AM, Bod wrote:

Ahh, and you trust your government. LMAO!