OT: There are more gun shops in the US than Starbucks, McDonald's and supermarkets put together

Page 2 of 13
On 18/06/2016 15:48, Meanie wrote:

Erm! learn to comprehend the facts. Read it again.

husband wouldn't be mourning her loss. I'm glad that my wife and I live in a free country, where she's legally able to possess the means of self-defense.
On 18/06/2016 13:25, Frank wrote:

Yes, where they should be kept.

your response to a home burglary, drive to the gun club? All you can do is plead "please mister burglar don't hurt me." In most of the US, the response is a little more forceful, and *much* more immediate.
And when I want to go hunting on a weekend, I'd rather just get my shotgun out of the cabinet in my bedroom and drive to field or forest, without having to get permission first.

Precisely why those sort of people should never be let near a gun.
--
Q. What's hairy on the outside, wet on the inside, begins with a "C" and ends with a "T"?
A. A coconut.
On 6/18/2016 8:37 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:

That's funny. I'll have to tell them. Both are highly skilled, technical industry workers there with families.

What on earth makes you think they'll never kill anyone? You don't have to be a madman to kill. Many intelligent people take revenge.
--
Statistics show that 25% of all women are on medication for mental illness.
That's scary! It means 75% are running around with no bloody medication at all!!!

The US is a much freer place than the UK, too. You forget that the main reason for our "love affair with guns" is that this country was born in a violent revolution in which those guns enabled us to free ourselves from the tyranny of an overseas despot -- your monarch. I am a United States citizen. *You* are a *subject* of the British crown. That difference is due mostly to the fact that I can own a gun, and you can't.

You just don't realize that you need one. When the law-abiding are disarmed, the weak are at the mercy of the strong, and the individual at the mercy of the gang. God created men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.
On 18/06/2016 12:58, Doug Miller wrote:

at the many mass shootings that you have over there. It seems to be the police that arrive on the scene who sort it out.

don't publicize those cases. They'd rather have everyone think that doesn't happen -- but it does. You just have to look for it. Here, I'll help. These are only a few examples:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/multimedia/collection/good-guy-gun-s topped-bad-guy-gun/?page=1
On 18/06/2016 14:13, Doug Miller wrote:

On 6/18/2016 9:23 AM, Bod wrote:

No, we have idiotic laws which have pistol free zones. This means the law abiding citizens who carry guns OBEY the pistol free gun laws and the criminals do not. Also, businesses who erect a sign which reads "no guns allowed" may as well read "Criminals welcome, feel free to rob us, beat us, rape us, etc. because there isn't anyone here who will shoot back". Most gun owners obey the law, those who don't are CRIMINALS.
Get it?
On 18/06/2016 15:54, Meanie wrote:

Oh I get it. The whole of the UK is a gun free zone and guess what, it works better than the US and we are on average a lot safer from shootings. We have no need to be scared enough to own a gun. You have far too many guns, but you just can't see that.
On 6/18/2016 11:00 AM, Bod wrote:

...and you can't see you are more open to a violent crime against you without protecting yourself. Good luck with that.
On 18/06/2016 16:23, Meanie wrote:

Hmm, I've had one violent incident in my 67 years and that was from a nutter with a knife , plus I didn't get hurt at all. I have never needed nor wanted a gun for protection.
On 6/18/2016 11:45 AM, Bod wrote:

That's your preference. Why knock those who do?
On 18/06/2016 17:46, Meanie wrote:

Because if anyone feels the need to have a gun for protection, then they must obviously be living in fear of an attack etc, IMO.
On 6/18/2016 12:54 PM, Bod wrote:

Again, what concern is it of yours? Specifically since you reside in a much "safer" region. Therefore, let us worry about us and you worry about you. This is the topic I recall when I chastised you for harping on the US. Yes, I was wrong, you may love the US, but your stance on us owning guns is not your concern. Be concerned with your own country.
On 18/06/2016 18:32, Meanie wrote:

Ok, suit yourself, I thought you might've been up for an adult discussion, but it appears that you aren't interested.
replying to Bod, FS wrote: Since ISIS has declared war on the US, we patriots prefer to be ready. Not afraid, prepared. Even in his speech in 1961, president Kennedy, called for people to be prepared to take up arms to protect our country. Our feelings are nothing new.