OT The right thing to do

Page 4 of 5

Karen wrote:

antifreeze and dark chocolate. Not my responsibility to watch what the dog eats.

awww, that's bad. Not to mention cruel. The dog only knows as much as the owner tells it. It's the owner's fault. Who the hell are you? Are you Vick?

Yeah, I agree. Unbelievable how sick some people are. What happened here is the doctors fault, not the dog's. This is not only 1000X worse, but criminal as well.
Since it's not the parents responsibility to inform the sitter of the dog's chewing? I suspect that selfish doctors also have high power lawyers, and that could be even more expensive to the sitter.
I sense the dog is as badly neglected as the kids. Doing in the dog is only treating a symptom.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I think he was only kidding about this. Of course someone who brought chocolate and antifreeze would be in big trouble, civil and criminal, if the dog ate it, and the poster must know that.
Steve Barker wrote:

I doubt very seriously that the wonderful young woman as described by her mother would do such a horrible thing. I would simply get a radio controlled electric shock training collar to put on the dog when the parents are gone. She could watch the children and train the dog at the same time. *snicker*
TDD
Karen wrote:

My daughter used to baby sit as well. She is a doctor now. Anyhow, that was 75.00 lesson and don't ever she baby sit their kids or you become their patient. I don't like people like that. When our kids grow up wife stayed home postponing her career advancement in nursing. After kids were in Jr. high she went back to work. If they are decent people damage should be paid for. If the dog chew one of their shoes, they more likely would blame your daughter for negligence.
Tony Hwang wrote:

habit and one an adopted female dog with other bad habits. The adult also liked to run off and with small children in and out often, she would bolt when they opened the door. She was a really sweet dog, but being a pointer, she wanted to be IN the water, no matter where :o) If I had a dog with bad habits, I would emphasize it to guests or sitters. Schnauzers bark like mad at guests until guests bend over and pet them. Had two that did that, but their bark is piercing and it is not a "pet me" sound. As a factory nurse, I did a dressing change once for a guy with a dog bite on his calf. While I was changing the dressing, he remarked, "I knew I should have petted that dog." I asked him what kind of dog. Schnauzer. S's also do not like physical contact - snapped at kids twice while they were playing and wrestling. Poodles are vastly different...ours would sit down and pose every time we had a camera in hand.

I had a Weimaraner "who" thought he was a person, cat or dog on different days. He did not chew up shoes, instead, he would pull the insole out of the shoe and chew that up. Yum, Vieux-Boulogne.
TDD

...with dog piss "accidents" all over the carpet. I wouldn't take my shoes off. Unless it's a service dog, don't say there aren't piss spots. If it were a service animal, it wouldn't eat shoes.

When our dog was a puppy, he pooped in the doorway to my daughter's BR. My daughter woke up and half asleep walked out of the room in bare feet and right into the soft poop. You should have seen her hop to the bathroom real fast to clean it off.

I'm even more scared about the Doctor's children, wonder how they will turn out when they grow up with that kind of example to follow?

In my life, I have quit employers and told them that they do not meet my standards as employers. It goes both ways, you know.
Steve
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:10:18 -0800, "Steve B"

Absolutely. "Bigger problems than this may come up and I no longer trust you to do the right thing."
Although I'm not an electician, I was hired by a woman years ago to put in electrical wiring in an apartment she was remodeling to be a rental. At the first conversation, I told her I wasn't licensed and couldn't touch the fusebox. She said she had someone else to run the cable to the basement and to the fusebox.
As I was finishing the job, she started talking to me about my doing the other half of the project. I had gotten half in advance. I don't know what would have happened if I had been straightforward, but I asked for half of the second part in advance to buy materials etc. (which was the same amount she owed me for the first part), and I took the money and considered myself paid for the first half and told her that. I'm sure she was disappointed but she didnt' get angry or complain. I drive by the building whenever I'm in NYC to make sure it hasn't burned down. 30 years, so far so good.
(I did do one thing wrong, I think. At one point I used a wire nut in a junction box to connect pieces of BX, instead of getting a long wire and threading it through the two pieces of shield.)
This situation isn't the same but it's similar. I would consider working for this family a couple more times if I could get the 75 dollars too. OTOH, they could lie about how much she had worked for them. Pay the 75 up front and then not pay for the last day. OT3H, they would probably know that was dishonest, but they might still do it, working her like I worked the woman who hired me. "She extorted the 75 dollars when we really8 needed a babysitter, and now we're just getting it back" they would tell themselves. To small claims court, they would have to say, No, she didn't work that day. How would she prove otherwise?
Steve B wrote:

I like working for myself, I can fire customers without notice.
TDD
If Dr. Laura was reading this group, she would likely thank you for your concern, and excellent observation.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:23:30 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Are you sure. Does she ever thank anyone for anything?

I quit listening to Dr. Laura the day that a concerned mom called in asking if her ex husband was enticing their 8 year old to spend more time with him because he had bought the youth an ATV. She told the mom to quit being such a bitch and be glad that the father and son spent so much time together.
Dr. Laura is so smart she failed to research it, and learn that manufacturers are required to put a sticker on their ATV's that say NO ONE UNDER 16 SHOULD OPERATE THIS VEHICLE. Required by federal law. So, how does the manufacturer skirt the issue? By making ATVs of lower engine displacement. But still no mention of the very high % of ATV underage ATV accidents involving serious injury and fatalities.
Dr. Laura is always right. Don't believe me? Just ask her.
Steve
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:11:38 -0800, "Steve B"

About 30 percent of the advice she gives is excellent. About 30 percent is good but the kind of advice one can get from almost anyone.
And about 40 percent is bad, including half of that (20%) which could ruin someone's marriage, hir relationship with hir chilren, parents, sibings, could ruin hir life.
It's nice that she has a Ph.D. in physiology, but that doesn't qualify her to give advice and she shouldn't use the title on her show. I'm sure it misleads many listeners.
It's scarey that so many people think she gives good advice.

Steve B wrote:

Just curious: Would your opinion be the same if, instead of an ATV, dad was taking the son to the rifle range? Skydiving? Spelunking? Fire-walking? At what point does involving a child, with adult supervision, become unacceptable?