OT The right thing to do

Page 3 of 5

You are incorrect. This is a place to discuss home repair, not chat about whatever.

Idiot! If you don't know what OT stands for, then don't read the thread.

Moron! Putting OT in the subject line does NOT excuse wasting space in a topic group, any more than putting SPAM in the subject line makes spamming a topic group!
In forth:

but repling to said OT/Spam is *not* taking up space? I think the servers can handle it just fine, you on the other hand seem to be the waste

And plonking solves the whole thing. Good bye, Burt.

So _you_ want to ration Usenet bandwidth. LOL!
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:17:30 -0600, Bert Byfield

I like it when they put SPAM in the subject line of spam. Then I don't read it.
The only place this is taking space from is groups.google. So I'd better cut this short.
mm wrote:

You aren't 'on' Google, you are on Usenet. Google Groups is just a (crappy) web-based portal to get to Usenet. Learn the difference.

I know that. But Usenet servers purge old posts eventually, so spam and discussion of spam only takes up extra space temporarily. Same for most individuals' computers.
It's only google groups that keeps them, so far, forever. They store spam posts for long periods.

It's also a storage area for recent and old posts.

Your difference is not related to what I said.

Yeah, and replying to it really helps with the "wasting space" issue. Moron. PLONK!

Oh, but it was more then that. The OP was considerate enough to acknowledge that their behavior was not right but felt that this group consisted of knowledgeable people (yourself included) and they could not think of a more appropriate group to post for help. Surely you can see how this differs from spam or off-topic posting. Please have some consideration and cut them some slack.
casey wrote:

Ummmm? If they don't know what OT stands for, why would they know to not read the thread?

Correct me if I am wrong but. Your post is not about home repair either. Is it?

OT does not stand for On Topic. Just filter any subject starting with capital OT. I could tell you how to do it since you use Xnews...but then that would be Off Topic.

Bert, opening an OT thread, and then complaining is like eating a steak and sending back the empty plate to the chef with your complaint. OT means off topic, by the way. New here, huh?
Steve
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:29:19 -0600, Bert Byfield

What is she incorrect about? That this is not a sensible group? Even if that's true, she posts at her own risk that she will get unsensible answers.

These two doctors have plenty of money and they should not think twice about covering the cost of the shoes, if they were decent people which obviously they are not. It is also their responsibly, like you said, to warn her of anything unusual about the house. Now if your daughter was told to be carefull because their dog likes to chew things and she left her shoes lying around then she would be responsible.

How do you know they have plenty of money? They could be up to their eye balls with student loans, a mortgage, etc.
How do you know they are not decent people? You have only heard one side of the story. Are you clairvoyant?
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

I say yer Trolin

Your daughter sounds like a responsible adult. Shame she had to encounter people who want to shrug their responsibility.