OT The right thing to do

Page 2 of 5

Karen wrote:

Hmmm, Wonder how good doctor they are being like that?!
Lets see. They don't care about people, and don't communicate with hired help.
So, the doctors don't care what you have wrong, and don't tell the pharmacist what to dispense. Sounds like a combination from hell.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Well she has the right to set her rates as she pleases. If they want her back she should up her rate she charges to pay for a new pair of shoes.
Next question is what kind of sneakers are worth $75?
--
Roger Shoaf

Anything decent.
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:02:36 -0800, "Steve B"

I'd never had a problem with a shoe, so I once bought really cheap sneakers at k-mart a week or two before I went on a 3-week foreign vacation that grew into 5 weeks.
I walked almost all day every day, and every day I got blisters. I would have to wear hiking boots the next day, but they were the wrong size too, bought one day before I left, so I got more blisters. Thankfully, in different places, so all the blisters had a day to heal. None popped.
The sneakers though also smelled terrible when they were off. No other shoe had ever done that. But I didnt' want to take the time to go shopping.

I bought more sneakers at K-mart just last month but haven't worn them enough to know if there are problems. They look nice and were cheap. I really can't believe they'll smell bad like those others did. It's wasn't foot smell, it was something in the sneakers.
wrote

The kind that are good for your feet (quality type).
The ones gang members wear?
Seriously, I prefer to pay $25 or less for my sneakers, but then, I'm not interested in impressing anyone. Or looking kewl.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I generally find cheaper ones too, but when I was still in the Navy and needed to jog regular, there is a difference in a good set of running shoes and cheap stuff. Also, we walk *alot* (up to 6 miles a day back in Japan) and the 'cheap ones' are actually more expensive as they wear out too fast under conditions like that. ROI factor low under heavy use.
Don now uses special orthopedic ones due to a combination of a long ago broken ankle that never healed quite right, and arthritis. I got him a new set 7 months ago for 200$. He walks about 4 miles a day now (plus regular walking about the house etc) and I expect these will last about 2 years. A 25$ pair would simply not work for his needs and would last probably 2 months before the heels wore out.

I think your daughter displayed more maturity and diplomacy than these parents. You should be proud. Chalk it up and move on, but don't step in front of THAT bus again.
Steve
The Dr. Laura response, most likely. That the two doctors are neglecting the most important job of all, that is raising their own kids. By selfishly serving their own needs for power, fame, etc, the doctors are damaging their own kids. I'd have to guess Dr. Laura would suggest to walk away from these selfish doctors, and maybe she'd suggest to mention that to all the other known babysitter girls.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Karen wrote:

Write it off as an expensive (at her income level) life lesson, and manage to always have a previous commitment if they want to hire her again. (They probably won't, if they had words over the shoes already.) Don't say a word to the people who referred her- she doesn't want a reputation as a difficult-to-please sitter. And if she sits at any other houses with puppies, put the shoes in the coat closet and close the door. Can't blame the dog- that is how dogs investigate interesting new smells. (Hmm- this is interesting. Wonder if it is food? 3 categories for dogs- stuff that can be eaten, stuff that can be humped, and stuff that needs marking.)
-- aem sends...

4th category for dogs - stuff that can be dug up and eaten later.
My dog is in denial. He never says a word.

Hello.
Thanks for your input.
You're correct, you can't blame the dog, and she's not attempting to.
aemeijers wrote:

Hmmm, Do you have a dog like that? I don't. Our dog never does anything like that. If he tries, our 3 cats will put a stop to him vice versa.

There is no need to pretend like that. And it's not good for those who hired her. They should learn that there are a) consequences to their failure to inform her about the dog chewing, b) consequences to their chinciness in not paying.
Good baby sitters are hard to get, and they may well call her again. I would say, "Since you knew the dog wa a chewer, unlike the vast majority of adult dogs, you should have warned me, and when you didn't, you should have taken responsibilty for the damages. If you'll pay for the shoes, (or pay half**), I'll help you out.
When they agree, they should also agree to pay for the shoes before she starts sitting the next time. If it's not hard, drop by in advance. Otherwise, tell them in advance, "I have a contract now for my clients to sign". This doesn't mean she insists all the clients sign the contract, but if that seems excessively evasive, make it "for you to sign". They can still pay for the sneakers when she gets there, and she can cross out an initial where she crosses out that debt. Include in the rest of the contract a typical baby sitting contract. I'll bet you can find one on the net, or an adult can got to a commercial baby sitting service and get a copy of the contract they use. Say your husband wants to look it over first, but dont' imply he's a lawyer. You don't want to give the baby sitting company agita.
It should mention salary, what happens if they don't come home on time, and that she's not liable for what the dog does
Then sit for them that time or two more times. After that she's free to quit.
I sort of like splitting the cost of the shoes. They should have warned her and nothing would have happened, but a lot of people do things they shouldn't and
Being a doctor means nothing regarding being responsible or honest or anything. They don't check for niceness when you apply to med school, they don't grade on niceness, and patients are making a mistake if they choose their doctors on niceness*** although admittedly, it's hard to judge them on competence. Even my brother, who is a doctor, said he didn't know who in the same hospital was good, only who had been sued.
***Like the people who throw their money away at Cancer Centers of America, where all they sell is hope and niceness, and only claim to have cured one person, though even that one they're vague about.
**I sort of like the paying half, not because she doesn't deserve all of it, but because there are people who do the wrong thing but sincerely think they did the right thing. Of course there are those who have absurd opinions about what is right, or who just don't care whom they cheat. But we don't know enough about these people yet. Sometimes on tv court shows, when I don't think it's clear who's right or who's telling the truth, I think the judge should just split it, but that doesn't seem be what is done in America or most of the world.

Plus it's not polite to gossip about these people. If they keep losing babysitters, their friends may figure it out.

Are they really still thinking it might be food?
mm wrote:

My granny had a sayin' to describe something beyond despicable:
"That looks like something the cat drug home that the dog wouldn't eat."
aemeijers wrote:

Great post. Spot on!
--- ---

They are total and complete jerks. It may hurt your girl financially (in the short term), but she has to dump them. She should not accept shoddy treatment. If she does, it will get worse, not better over time.
They are doctors, you say? Pity their patients.
We have a 12-year old daughter (nearly 13!). She no longer has a babysitter, but over the course of the last 12 years we've been through a number of babysitters from great to horrible. And through being in the babysitter loop, we've also had our (in)direct experiences with some very seriously wacko parents.
What we've learned is that wacko parents will not suddenly repair themselves, but will remain wacko forever. And they'll whack the babysitter in the process.
Babysitters can, and should, "fire" their worst customers. The wackos are NOT looking out for her, but for themselves.
Frankly, such bad customer behavior baffles me. Babysitting is a service industry. The quality of the service is completely dependent -- from minute to minute -- on the mood and motivation of the babysitter. We went out of our way to pay MORE than required. We'd round /up/ billable care hours, give gifts on special occasions, take the little one back early if we were home early, look after the babysitter's house when they were on vacation, etc. All so as to ensure the best care we could get from the provider of the moment. That some parents won't do that is very, very puzzling.
What's more important? $75 for chewed-up shoes, or your child's care? Think about the mind that would choose the former.
--
Tegger

*I'd say that family just lost a very competent babysitter. Tell your daughter to drop the account and chalk it up to experience. Let them get someone else. If they ask she should tell them why. She should also warn other babysitters of her experience.