OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught it in school.

I had a 90+ grade for Latin, but after two years, I had no other language options in school. Had I been given the choice to take a different language the second year, it may have made a real difference. At the time (high school) after two years of a dead language, I had no interest in going to anything our of school just to learn another. Thirty years later I wish I had.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And had you spent that year learning any one of those, you would have:

  1. Had a useable second language
  2. Also had the same knowledge to help learning the others also.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Lies you tell in hopes of getting laid.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
99% of the population couldn't tell you if something weighed 1lb or 10lbs just by holding it.

...and when would you EVER need to know how many quarts are in a 2 liter bottle of soda?

Reply to
dennisgauge

Latin was a "useable 2nd Language". I was able to have conversation with a R.C. Priest from Africa who spoke Zulu and Latin

I disagree, The Latin made it a lot easier and faster to learn the other 3. Not to mention that I can still read Latin text even today.

Your point-of-view is extremely short-sighted

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

So what, dummy? Sturying the languages themselves will give a far better understanding of their grammar.

Reply to
krw

Your example is extremely unlikely for the aveage person. I would a lot sooner spend a year studying a language that I have some likliehood of actuallyusing. Of course with a year's latin I couild always go down to the RC church I suppose for a conversation.

On the subject of 2nd languages: English must be a nightmare for anyone brought up in a highly structured language where gender/ declension/conjugation have real meaning. I was immersed 8hr/5day week in Syracuse University 3 times for Russian as my military specialty (30 months total). Now _that_ is a structured language. Only look at a noun and you know gender and full declension with only a few excpetions - so few you were given a list of them, less than 10 IIRC. Same with verbs. Doubt I could do it today as I have been out of it for 40 years with no use.

Then I tried to learn German while stationed there. Gave it up as it is almost as bad as English, i.e., gender counts but there is no way under god's sky to tell what gender any noun is - they all have to be memorized. At least with English, if you can pronounce the word you can do anything with it and be understood.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

With such a large area of only English speaking, a second language is rarely needed in the US. Europe is much more advanced linguistically. Travel just a few miles and you are in another country and another language. My grandfather spoke 7 when he came to this country.

Fortunately, many European schools teach English, thus making it easy for tourists from here. Helps to know a few words of the native language though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

All the swear words? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:je43nq$7lg$2 @dont-email.me:

Just remember, when ordering accompaniments to your toast in French, don't order "preservatives", but "confiture".

Preservatives = rubbers

Reply to
Han

Most important are the "bedroom" words and phrases.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

LOL Not surprised you would order "preservative" instead of jam.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander