OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught it in school.

Same old problem. As long as they try to introduce it "gradually" it will be resisted. Change it on a given day and change it all at once and the reactionaries will not be able to bitch about having to convert one to another. Of course they won't like it but by the end of the week they would realize how asinine their resistance was.
Harry K

Actually that was rebottling a fifth to 750 ml. quarts were rebottled to liters.
Jimmie

____ Not Off Topic one bit! In home repairs the ability to measure and convert between the two systems is a more powerful tool than anything made by Stanley or Craftsman. -CC

I am surprised. this is the first thread I have seen where a bunch of retards haven't jumped in trying to defend the non-metric system.
One of the most commong objections is "I won't know what wrench to use" while ignoring the fact that they haven't looked at the size of wrench they grab for a long long time. I need a 9/16 I grab "that" wrench and amazingly it is the right size. Would work just the same in metric except there wouldn't be nearly as many in a set.
I just checked a few items in the fridge, bread, milk, water, butter, ketchup. All had metric equivalents listed on them but only the water bottle was in metric (750 ml).
Harry K
Harry K Harry K
Harry K wrote:

The longer we use imperial system, the resulting economic implications will be huge. The sooner we switch over to metric system, the better it'll be. Any how, I am OK with both but what a bore.

We're already fifty years past that point. ...far enough that it really doesn't matter anymore. Conversion is trivial, if needed, and for most it's not.
Tony Hwang wrote:

On the other hand, with China making all our imperial-based tools and whatnot, maybe they'll convert to pounds and ounces as being the more familiar.
On 1/1/2012 7:48 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_units_of_measurement

Back to the days in the 50s and 60s when a mechanic did need three sets of wrenchs, Imperial, Metric and the British Whitworth.
Harry K
On 1/1/2012 11:56 PM, Harry K wrote:

Science fiction series, Chung Kuo, had world ruled by Chinese and these units came up. It was interesting to see what they converted to. I see the Chinese li is now officially a half kilometer.
I strongly suspect that world will eventually shift to all metric/SI as older units interrelated all all over the place, e.g. 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 8 furlongs in a mile, etc.

There is no US system. You stole ours.
We didn't steal it. It was foisted on us. Can you think "white elephant"?
Charlie
99% of the population couldn't tell you if something weighed 1lb or 10lbs just by holding it.
...and when would you EVER need to know how many quarts are in a 2 liter bottle of soda?