OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught it in school.

Page 3 of 5
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:44:11 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

I need to be able to do arithmetic to know when the calculator is "lying" to me. I also need it to know what to stick into the calculator.
Knowing Latin has no such use.

Lies you tell in hopes of getting laid.

So what, dummy? Sturying the languages themselves will give a far better understanding of their grammar.
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:44:11 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

I had two years of Latin in high school All I remember is Amo, Amas, Amat and Veni Vidi Vici. If I had Spanish I may have actually used it over the past 50 years. Or French, Polish, or Italian.

Back in the 50s when I was in HS the only "2nd language" offered was Latin. Even then I wondered why they didn't offer a _useable_ 2nd language.
Harry K

Funny how my Latin set the ground work to easily learn French Spanish and Romanian But hey, I paid attention in the one year that I had to study Latin.
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 14:43:54 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

I had a 90+ grade for Latin, but after two years, I had no other language options in school. Had I been given the choice to take a different language the second year, it may have made a real difference. At the time (high school) after two years of a dead language, I had no interest in going to anything our of school just to learn another. Thirty years later I wish I had.

And had you spent that year learning any one of those, you would have:
1. Had a useable second language 2. Also had the same knowledge to help learning the others also.
Harry K

Latin was a "useable 2nd Language". I was able to have conversation with a R.C. Priest from Africa who spoke Zulu and Latin

I disagree, The Latin made it a lot easier and faster to learn the other 3. Not to mention that I can still read Latin text even today.
Your point-of-view is extremely short-sighted

Your example is extremely unlikely for the aveage person. I would a lot sooner spend a year studying a language that I have some likliehood of actuallyusing. Of course with a year's latin I couild always go down to the RC church I suppose for a conversation.
On the subject of 2nd languages: English must be a nightmare for anyone brought up in a highly structured language where gender/ declension/conjugation have real meaning. I was immersed 8hr/5day week in Syracuse University 3 times for Russian as my military specialty (30 months total). Now _that_ is a structured language. Only look at a noun and you know gender and full declension with only a few excpetions - so few you were given a list of them, less than 10 IIRC. Same with verbs. Doubt I could do it today as I have been out of it for 40 years with no use.
Then I tried to learn German while stationed there. Gave it up as it is almost as bad as English, i.e., gender counts but there is no way under god's sky to tell what gender any noun is - they all have to be memorized. At least with English, if you can pronounce the word you can do anything with it and be understood.
Harry K

With such a large area of only English speaking, a second language is rarely needed in the US. Europe is much more advanced linguistically. Travel just a few miles and you are in another country and another language. My grandfather spoke 7 when he came to this country.
Fortunately, many European schools teach English, thus making it easy for tourists from here. Helps to know a few words of the native language though.
On 1/5/2012 4:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

All the swear words? ^_^
TDD

Just remember, when ordering accompaniments to your toast in French, don't order "preservatives", but "confiture".
Preservatives = rubbers
--
Best regards
Han

LOL Not surprised you would order "preservative" instead of jam.

Most important are the "bedroom" words and phrases.
Harry K

And if memory serves, the Military uses Metric, and many industries too.

Even working in the chemical industry in a laboratory, they would still convert an analysis to add something to the process from grams/ liter to pounds/gallon going from the laboratory to the plant. Kind of stupid and open to error.
Not sure the Brits have fully converted. They still weigh themselves in stones ;)

Women don't wear bras in your country?

Oh wicked...
Maybe they're called "Stone holders"
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 15:40:52 -0600, "Attila.Iskander"

"Over-the-shoulder-bolder-holders"