OT: The budget according to McCain - Part I

Page 1 of 5
McCains big promise is that he can balance the budget while extending Bushs tax cuts and adding a few of his own. He likes to leave the impression that this can be done painlessly, for example, by eliminating "wasteful" spending in the form of earmarks that lawmakers like to tuck into spending bills to finance home-state projects. We found that not only is this theory full of holes, it's not even McCain's actual plan. In this story we examine the spending-cut side of McCain's budget program. In Part II, we'll look at what McCain has said about taxes.
McCain's pronouncements on cutting spending, and even on the growth in the size of the federal government, are dubious at best:
Details at the nonpartisan Web site of FactCheck.org.
http://tinyurl.com/6lnego
And you think Hillary and B/O's plans are not full of holes, lies and new taxes???
cm <aspasia> wrote in message

They're all hoping voters don't get all mathy and see that a budget can't be balanced using a rabbit and a hat.

he he he Now that's funny and pathetic!
Thanks,
cm

"mathy" stolen from a Dilbert cartoon. The context, as always, was perfect.

Haven't seen one recently, probably because no one really wants to worry about the budget, but there were a series of studies starting in the early 80s that said the Fed budget could be balanced in between 5 and 7 years if all we did was keep overall spending even with inflation.

more the same mc cains budget buster is a 100 years in iraq.......
yeah i know he didnt mean 100 years of combat, but that region has fought since bibical times what makes anyone think we can bring peace??
saddam was a ruthless dictator but just what was needed to keep the area stable

more the same mc cains budget buster is a 100 years in iraq.......
yeah i know he didnt mean 100 years of combat, but that region has fought since bibical times what makes anyone think we can bring peace??
saddam was a ruthless dictator but just what was needed to keep the area stable
=======================
Church-wrecked fools think they can fix the Middle East using faith as a foreign policy. Call it "really sure of myself", or "total faith in our military". Either way, it's faith, and it's exquisitely stupid.
What we need is a Vulcan in the White House. Pure logic. Really annoying, but very effective. Every employee is vetted for religious pollution. If you're anything but atheist or agnostic, you don't get to touch foreign policy.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: .

Well, they've got to be somewhere. Surely you don't want our military over here killing people and blowing things up!

We really don't give a fig about THAT area, it's OUR area we don't want messed with.

With iran funding terrorism from the oil we send them, just exactly how does this war prevent terrorism here????
yeah sure the terroristss training in iraq are too busy to come here?
all it takes is a few idiots to surface to air missle a few commercial airliners from our sky. most would be too afraid to fly, killing the airline industry and making the recession worse, or pushing it into a depression.
or a few terrorists fly explosive filled private planes into a couple large US oil refernies?
gas might go to 20 bucks a gallon over nite, and what would that do to our economy?
truthfully the 9 11 terrorists did do a big bad thing.
but oil refineries or SAM airliners out of the sky would of been a lot worse, and likely easier to do.

Say what? I think you must have meantthey fund terrorism from oil we BUY from Iran? But even that is incorrect, as the US has had trade sanctions in place against Iran since 1980, when they took our embassy hostage and we buy ZERO oil from them.

If it's so easy and they are so capable, how come there has been no attacks here in 7 years now?

Say what? I think you must have meantthey fund terrorism from oil we BUY from Iran? But even that is incorrect, as the US has had trade sanctions in place against Iran since 1980, when they took our embassy hostage and we buy ZERO oil from them.
=================== True. But we *do* buy loads of oil from the Saudis, a proven enemy.
===================

If it's so easy and they are so capable, how come there has been no attacks here in 7 years now?
===================I think he agrees with what you said, but it's hard to tell based on the way he writes.

Only according to guys like you, who are short on facts and jump to wild conclusions.

Only according to guys like you, who are short on facts and jump to wild conclusions.
=======================
We're talking about the country whose intelligence service refused to share information with us about a bunch of guys they'd been following for at least a couple of years before they flew airplanes into the WTC.
We're talking about a ruling family which gives financial support and protection to lunatic clergymen who turn kids into monsters who want to kill Americans.
You need to find your public library. If you think the Saudis are our friends, you're pathetically misinformed.

I'm not sure that's correct either. I think Saudi intelligence may have been following some of the eventual hijackers and have collected some information on them. Exactly what they had on them and how useful it may have been is another question. I'd like to see a reference for where the US asked for info on any of these guys and the Saudis refused. Or where the Saudis knew they were planning a stike on the USA and didn't warn the USA.
And none of that failure to share intelligence has much to do about calling the Saudis a "proven enemy". Using similar standards, I could call the CIA and FBI proven enemies as well, because CIA had been following some of the hijackers in Asia, clearly knew they were terrorists, had plotted to blow up airliners over the Pacific and had entered the country. Yet the CIA did not share the info with the FBI.

I would agree that they are providing funding to clergymen that are preaching a branch of Islam that is extreme. Is that enough to make them a proven enemy?

I didn't say they were our friends. You claimed they were our proven enemy, which is a very different thing.

[...]

==============
There is no dividing line between the government of Saudi Arabia and the royal family. They are one and the same entity. So, when family members are supporting terrorists, it is the government supporting terrorists.
I know it's hip & stylish to discredit retired CIA personnel who write books, because anyone who retires from a job automatically becomes an idiot, but you really ought to read some of what's out there. "Sleeping With The Devil" by Robert Baer would be a good start.

The CIA was not allowed BY LAW (thanks again Frank Church) to share these kinds of things with FBI.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

The FBI was not allowed to share these kinds of things with the FBI, thanks to the "Chinese wall" erected by Jamie Gorelick, Clinton's Deputy Attorney General.

for whatever reason they havent wanted too.
historically theres long times between events, just look back at WTCone and two.
and we werent at war beween those 2 attacks
aspasia wrote:

All agree, it's not so much the size of the budget as it is the size of the revenue. McCain wants to cut taxes, which increases tax revenue a lot and the Democrats want to raise taxes which raises revenue just a little.
Of course Republicans believe that tax cuts cure cancer and are also good for bee-bites.