OT, The Bicycle I'd Want If I Could Ride One

It's been years since I was able to ride a bicycle and I know there is at least one person who posts to this group who rides a bike daily. I was in very good shape when I rode a bicycle for transportation but I'll bet the bike in this video could give someone a real workout. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGGlODF7_RY#t2

TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That's an awful amount of work for just a few minutes of video on Youtube.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not many videos get 7,562,822 views. I bet he is quite satisfied with the attention it got.
It looks like he had problems steering it. He couldn't stay in the lane he was supposed to be in.

I commute by bike around 25 miles daily in Queens and Manhattan. This bike would not make the cut but certainly is fun. As I age (over 60 now) I bought a bike that has an electric assist motor. No throttle, it will only work if you pedal, but it does make the big hills and headwinds easier to deal with. A very good use of technology.
On 8/28/2013 8:34 AM, dgk wrote:

Is it the Copenhagen Wheel bicycle? The guys and gals over at MIT came up with a very interesting electric add-on for a bicycle. ^_^
http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/
TDD
On 08-28-2013 10:45, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I'm more inclined to side with this guy:
http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/103580.html
--
Wes Groleau

I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
On 8/29/2013 1:56 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Wasn't The Segway supposed to change the world too? ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 02:50:10 -0500, The Daring Dufas

It's an interesting idea but I'm inclined to agree that the engineering isn't there yet. More exactly, battery power. I use a Trek Valencia+, http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Electric-Bike-Reviews/Trek-Valencia
It's mostly an accurate review, except I can easily do my 25 mile r/t commute without recharging - I mostly leave the bike in the lowest assist mode (25%) and just bump it up when hitting big hills. I sometimes go 40 miles and have plenty of battery left over, but I do a lot of the work myself and rarely go over 15mph.
The copenhagen wheel simply can't store enough power to make it worthwhile. My battery is only 6.6 ah, which is vastly underpowered according to most EBike standards. And it weighs 6.6 lbs, which sort of gives an idea of what the battery alone needs to be to handle a real commute. Most people use 10-15ah batteries, which are of course 10-15 lbs. It isn't really that much, I mean I weigh almost 190 so what is another 10 lbs?
Still, integrated into a hub, I just don't see how it can work without being one monster hub.
On 8/29/2013 8:48 AM, dgk wrote:

I believe the energy system will eventually be built into the frame of the bicycle and not necessarily just batteries but super capacitors which will charge very quickly from the energy recovery mechanism that would be a mandatory feature of such a bike. Instead of mechanical brakes, the electrical drive would do the braking in order to recover energy. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 02:50:10 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Didn't do much for the inventor.

I seem to remember a story about a fellow who bought out Segway then was killed when he drove one of them off a cliff. o_O
TDD
If your purpose were exercise rather than commuting, you should design an U rban Trainer bicycle.
The problem with bicycle exercise is not all of us have the space to put in the necessary miles safely (traffic, dogs, bad roads, etc.) Indoor traine rs work but are boring.
But most of us could go around one block easily. What if that took an hour ? Build a bike geared such that you only go very slowly. Add some mechani cal resistance (magnetic or hydraulic as is done in the expensive magtraine rs). Add a flywheel for gyroscopic effect so you don't fall over.

I ride a bike daily to work, except on rain days. I'm not that devoted.
BTW: That's a trike.
On 8/27/2013 5:08 PM, gonjah wrote:

It's a penta-cycle, it has 4 back wheels and one front wheel. ^_^
TDD

You might have a chance at riding this gizmo: http://alturl.com/ayqt8 Plus you'd get rich and in shape at the same time.