OT The advantages of home repair

Page 2 of 2
philo wrote:

Not soot , creosote . And that can be minimized by letting the stove run at full blast for a couple of hours once a week . Cooks the creosote so that it flakes off and falls down into the stove .
--
Snag

Harry K wrote:

Most of the stuff I split this morning is stuff I didn't split last winter because it's knots and crotches ... once you figure it out it's still not easy , but can be done . Having dried for a few months helped , I think . I don't have a powered splitter , I think the splitting is what tightens the ol' tummy <and burns off those brews> . Back out to the woods , got a tree to fell . Red oak , about 55-60 ft tall , still has some bark but is most assuredly dead . I expect to get close to a cord out of this one .
--
Snag

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:24:31 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
<snip>

My splitting is three stage, Fiskars X27, maul, wedge/sledge. Stuff that doesn't split nice goes to a reject pile.
Next comes the splitter next to the reject pile and what will split without looking like amess goes through it.
Rejects from there go to the "noodle" pile (called that as the shavings look like noodles after the chainsaw cuts them apart).
Harry, 79 years young, K
philo?*;3265299 Wrote:

I am scheduled to have my left knee replaced in December of 2014.
My understanding of the procedure is that they use a saw to cut off the top of the bottom bone (the one between the knee and the ankle) and to cut off the bottom of the top bone (the one between the knee and the hip). Then they screw stainless steel replacement parts to the bottom of the top bone and the top of the bottom bone. Those stainless steel parts are fastened to the ends of the bones with ordinary screws and look very much like the pieces that were cut off, apart from the fact that they're metal instead of bone. A teflon disk then fits between those stainless steel parts. And then they sew you up. Within three days time you're walking and they have you climbing stairs within 5 days.
Can you kneel down on your artificial knees? Is there anything that can be done to make kneeling easier, or less painful? My understanding is that kneeling will not harm artificial knees, but it just feels awful when you kneel on them.
--
nestork

On 07/30/2014 04:28 PM, nestork wrote:

I have a minor complication in that one of my knees only bends 45 degrees...so I am seeing another doctor in Sept.
Since that knee does not bend enough I can't kneel on it at all... but I can kneel on the other slightly. It's not comfortable but I was told it won't hurt anything.
I had both knees replaced at the same time...two years ago.
I guess I was one of the fortunate ones as there was virtually no pain after the first few weeks.
24 hours after the surgery I was able to walk a little bit with a walker. I was in the hospital 4 days then sent to a rehab unit.
There are a lot of stairs in my house and my wife was not going to let me come home until she was sure I could get up and down the stairs.
I was scheduled for a ten day stay but after 5 days they kicked me out of there. They said if I could get up at 2 am and do my own laundry without help it was time to go home!
On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:34:38 PM UTC-7, philo  wrote:

I had both hips replaced separately a year apart. Hed no problems with eit her and was walking the halls the second day on my second hip.
I was religious about following the theripists instructions and did the exc ercises 2x day but I did increase the number reps a bunch. I was out timbe r cruising on my cane while still in the home rehab program :).
Something went whacko with my left knee a few days ago. Almost puts me on the floor if I stand up to fast. Hoping I don't have to have that done as a ll the reports I have heard is the knees are much worse than hips to get fi xed right.
Harry K
On 07/30/2014 05:58 PM, Harry K wrote:

Hope you are OK
BTW for those who have fun with firewood, logging, etc. A very good site is
arboristsite.com
discussions of all aspects of logging, firewood, etc. That site is addictive! Stay out of the 'religious/political' forum unless you have very thick skin
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

There are a few pieces on the pile that I didn't even try to split , just chainsawed 'em into chunks that'll go thru the stove door . Some pieces look pretty weird after splitting due to wild grain . Had a pretty good day today got near a half-cord split and stacked yesterday and today , and it was all stuff felled last winter . Burned some slash and cleared the haulin'-out path to the next big tree I want to drop . Gotta watch that one some more before it comes down , I saw a Pileated Woodpecker fly off it today and I want to be certain they don't have a nest in it . No problem , there are a couple of smaller ones nearby that I'll use that same path to haul out of the woods . I sure hope I'm as spry as you sound when I get that old . I think the key is to keep on doing as much as you can , even if it hurts sometimes . The day I dread is the day I can't hold the Harley up ... and have to start draggin' a sidecar .
--
Snag

philo  posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP