OT - Thanksgiving, American style

  • Can't hardly get into the grocery store, all week. Packed with people doing last minute shopping. You'd think there was a hurricane or something.
  • Christmas ads have started already. On the radio, the TV, and in the mail box.
  • Tacky electronically composed Christmas music plays in the stores. But, employes are forbidden from saying "Merry Christmas" for fear of offending Non-Christians.
  • Stores are decorated for Christmas, with tinsel and ribbons and red and white decorations.
  • Highways are packed with people going to Gramma's house, or returning.
  • People make endless plans to go here or there. Or to invite this or that person over. A large portion of the USA are single and unatached, and promptly go into depressions.
  • Suicides and hospital admissions will likely rise. Due to lonely, depressed people.
  • Homeless shelters feed millions of people who will be hungry tomorrow, and have no clue how to get a job, manage money, or be self sustaining. The homeless folks are gearing up for winter.
  • More driving, and more cooking. Energy use is way up. Price of gasoline goes up.
  • Most of the US over stuffs their faces with turkey meat and stuffing, and then goes and sleeps in front of the TV. Would be a wonderful day for a foreign invasion of the US, while all the unorganized militia are sleeping in front of the TV. Red Dawn style invasion would roll right over the US.
  • A small portion of the population (typically in kindergarden through 5th grade) does school assignments to list what they are thankful for.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Especially while everyone is snoozing during the Lions game.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

When the store personal say "have a happy holiday" I reply with " And a Merry Christmas to you" WW

Reply to
WW

Thanks, I guess I won't have to sit in the dark and cry for the next week. you're a buddy, old pal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I ask them "which holiday?"

Reply to
Michael Dobony

What's the common response from the store person?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Would you like an extended warranty?'

Reply to
Oren

Once a month or so, I see a reply on usenet that is perfect, in simplicity and truth. This is such a reply. Excellent.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I say "Sorry, I have other plans. But thanks for the thought."

Reply to
HeyBub

Depends a lot on the store's policy. Mostly a laugh with an occasional "merry Christmas." I also stay away from stores that refuse to acknowledge Christmas. Target come to mind first.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Michael Dobony wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Greeting card that covers 'em all.

Red Green

Those non-Christians are SO intolerant...

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Way too funny!!

Reply to
Noahbuddy

You owe me a new screen after I sprayed coffee all over this one (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

It's been a couple weeks, but I recently read on

that the Target No-Christmas policy is urban legend. I also heard from a man who works at a Target, and asked three managers. No such policy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon