OT: Texas to EPA: "That stinks"

Page 5 of 5

Jim,
Are those 5000 persons who have died from the heat or are they what our media calls "heat-related deaths" which apparently means anyone who dies while the weather was hot. I'm guessing you really don't have any real figures. As far as I can tell from listening to the media most deaths were the result of persons with preconditions (asthma etc.) having a reaction to the smoke from the forest fires. Of course they pointed noted that it's SO hot in Moscow and the forests SO baked to tinder dryness that the 100 degree heat just kept setting the forests on fire as fast as they could put them out!
Whew! Of course, I'm betting you never read the book Fahrenheit 451. Of course, it is said that the real number is 842 degrees Fahrenheit. (When paper and wood products have spontaneous combustion from the heat). The bottom line is the media is as usual spewing a bunch of "plausible" explanations while the public (you) just suck them up as truth. Sorry, the hot weather is not "starting" forest fires. And therefore not "killing people".
Anyway, please make a note of this: Weather is not climate. Climate is a proper average of weather. Variations (even extreme variations) of weather are not proof that climate is changing. To understand all this you'd need to understand the nature of Nile-like statistics. It seems likely to me that the alarmists actually DO understand Nile-like statistics and are using the fact that most people DO NOT understand how they work to fuel their panic machine.

Which explains why our northern friends are shipping us all that oil sand oil. On the other hand, Houston doesn't need to get any hotter.
-- Doug
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Doesn't matter. Fran Liebowitz (a New Yorker) once observed: "The outdoors is something through which I pass between my apartment and my car." That's what we do in the Bayou City.
We in Houston didn't build the first air-conditioned sports stadium to be ostentatious - it was required. (Interestingly, the Astrodome is now idle. They do keep the A/C on else the building would have its own thunderstorms.)
HeyBub wrote:

rant mode on-
I'm gettin' old. I remember when that place was new and high-tech.
If I was benign dictator of the universe, anybody who built a new stadium would have to pay off, out of their own money, any remaining public bonds for the stadium it is replacing. A massive public or semi-public building, almost always involving tax dollars directly or indirectly, having a service life less than 60-75 years, is a sin. In the last five years, they have demolished several less than 30 years old. Aside from the pillage of the public treasury, it can't be good for the environment to expend that many calories on construction and demolition, along with the incidental contamination inevitable any time Big Yellow Machines are involved.
There was a time when edifices lasted a century or more. We are becoming a country without a past, other than in old photographs. (Not that many people keep or look at those any more either. Lotsa luck finding 50 year old digital photos in Grandpa's attic.)
rant mode off..
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

The principals consider themselves owners of a money-making enterprise, not curators of a museum. Times have changed; there's money - a lot of money - to be made in sky-boxes with hot tubs and such. The old stadiums just can't accomodate the needs of the uber rich.

No problem. Let the uber rich buy them without my help.

Over 9000 Phd's say not so http://www.petitionproject.org/qualifications_of_signers.php
Atmospheric, environmental, and Earth sciences includes 3,805 scientists trained in specialties directly related to the physical environment of the Earth and the past and current phenomena that affect that environment. 1. Atmosphere (579) I) Atmospheric Science (112) II) Climatology (39) III) Meteorology (343) IV) Astronomy (59) V) Astrophysics (26)

The atmosphere is gaining less C02 than humans have been producing, and this has been true at least since 1959. Nature is actually removing CO2 from the atmosphere.
http://lgmacweb.env.uea.ac.uk/lequere/co2/carbon_budget.htm
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in
Sine this has now become a Real Science Usenet Group (RSUG), let me state that such is indeed the case. CO2 gets generated (by many different processes) and consumed (also by many different process). These cycles are more or less in equilibrium, so that the flux through all the ccles combined used to keep the CO2 concentration more or less the same. The question is whether our human generation of CO2 through burning of fossil fuel (not the only human process) is so great that it throws the equilibrium off. Many scientists say yes, a few no. Many here in this RSUG say no, some yes. Maybe my grandchildren will later on be able to answer for sure, in hindsight.
Now for a different aspect of climate. It has been said that recent great earth quakes (China, Haiti, Chile) have altered the stance of the earth's axis. Did this increase the expected severity of winters and summers?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

really? how about volcanic eruptions?

september.org:

What about them? Volcanism is considered to have caused CO2 accumulations in the geological record, with accompanying climate change. If you mean current and recent (last several 1000 years) volcanic activity, then tell how and what it does?
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

volcanos spew megatons of co2 into the atmosphere. your statement, that you trimmed, was

volcanos disprove your statement, since they are not part of the cycles, and don't keep the concentration "more or less the same".
september.org:

Sorry, I disagree. Unless you can show that since about 1800 volcanoes spewing CO2 has increased compared to the average over 1000s of years before 1800. The volcanoes have always been part of the equilibrium of the cycles. Except for those periods (whenever that was in geologic time) that volcanoes were much more active.
--
Best regards
Han

pic:
http://news.discovery.com/earth/asphalt-volcanoes-oil-spill.html
_World's Oldest Oil Spills: Asphalt 'Volcanoes'_
"THE GIST
* The "asphalt volcanoes" were found 700 feet down off the shores of southern California. * The asphalt is at least 35,000-years-old and may contain remains of ancient organisms. * Massive and deadly eruptions of methane probably accompanied the asphalt."