OT: Texas to EPA: "That stinks"

Page 2 of 5

Fiftycal wrote:

I know maths is hard, but bear with me.
The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is about 380 parts per million. Compared to the 57,600 sq ft on a football field, the CO2 concentration represents about 22 square feet.
That 22 square feet is larger than the chalk outline of a refree who was stabbed six times by irate fans after he made three consecutive bad calls against the home team, and the increase in CO2 is roughly equivalent to the spreading blood stain on the Astroturf as the sonofabitch bled out.

Small is not the same as insignificant. Small traces can have big effect. The tetanus toxin is fatal at doses at 2.5 nanograms per kilogram of body weight or 0.0000000000025%.
-- Doug

So it is your position that CO2 is a toxin. Strange.
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 20:24:45 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Well, it is a DEADLY, EVIL gas and when it reaches 39 parts per hundred thousand, the world will ignite into a flaming ball of fire. Women and children to be most affected.
Fiftycal wrote:

What, on Earth, have your been drinking?
    -Raf
--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Read it again. I didn't say that. HeyBub said that the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is small. I just said small concentrations of things can have a big effect.
But of course CO2 is a toxin. Concentrations exceeding 4% are immediately dangerous to life and health, according to OSHA. http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_225400.html
-- Doug

And they can have no effect. You just tossed that out without any kind of linkage to levels of CO2.

Concentrations in air, You aren't even remotely suggesting that CO2 in ambient air is even approaching that level are you? Two very specious and completely irrelevant arguments in two posts. Not a record, but still impressive (lack of) acheivement.
and name it after the IRS.

Yes, CO2 can suffocate. We had to put big labels on the door to our walk-in coldroom after someone had died elsewhere. This scientist had taken a box of dry ice into a cold room to pack up the frozen samples he had to move to his new lab. He had not taken into account that CO2 displaces air (and oxygen) and causes one to feel very sleepy. It probably wasn't a painful death (for him), but it is still a warning for everyone. In a similar vein, CO2 asphyxiation is an approved method for euthanizing small animals.
--
Best regards
Han

No, that's not CO2's MO at all. CO2 will *not* cause you to get sleepy (it is quite unlike CO). It'll do the exact opposite. You will become hyper, gasping for air, and BREAK THINGS to get less of it. Try holding your breath to see what CO2 poisoning is like. CO2 euthanization would be quite cruel, so no I don't believe you.

Soory Keith: CO2 inhalation is the most common method of euthanasia used for mice and rats. A few important aspects of this procedure are:
This a quote from here: http://labanimals.case.edu/templates_carbon_dioxide_euthanasia.html
Case Western is a reputable school. We do similarly at our medical school (Weill Cornell Medical College).
--
Best regards
Han

That's just torturing the poor critters. Hypobaric chambers would be far more humane.

I guess you have never observed it.
--
Best regards
Han

Let me strangle you and see if you drift off into a peaceful sleep. The same biological mechanism is triggered. It *IS* torture.

Oh My GAWD! You are MURDERING AMINALS in your labs. Don't you know that a mouse is a rat is a boy? Maybe Keith can send some PETA members over to "free" your animals before you use them to cure disease or something destructive to the planet like that!

Clueless.

Trying to have an intelligent conversation involving easily-proved science and facts in a usenet newsgroup is a colossal waste of time. You must fight rhetoric with rhetoric.
On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:35:47 -0500, Douglas Johnson

OH MY GAWD! Are we all going to DIE? Let's see, 4% of 100,000 is 4,000. The DEADLY, EVIL CO2 is at 38 parts per hundred thousand and with MANS ASSAULT on GAIA, the DEADLY, EVIL CO2 is advancing 1 part per hundred thousand EVERY 10 YEARS! So, to add 3962 parts per hundred thousand to our atmosphere and make it "deadly", according to OSHA, it will take 39620 YEARS!
OH MY GAWD! QUICK somebody call ALGORE! Stop all fires and internal combustion engines! We must join Obammao and live in mud huts and eat grass and twigs or we'll all be EXTINCT!
Fiftycal wrote:

I assure you BHO will not suffer privation, come what may.

And then there is all that methane from eating grass and twigs.
Douglas Johnson wrote:

Gee, would the government tell a fib? Can we trust OSHA to be fair and accurate?
I'm not saying that CO2 won't suffocate you, just that OSHA and EPA are hardly unbiased sources.
    -Raf
--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert