OT: Texas to EPA: "That stinks"

Page 1 of 5

Letter to Lisa Jackson, Administrator EPA
"In order to deter challenges to your plan for centralized control of industrial development through the issuance of permits for greenhouse gases, you have called upon each state to declare its allegiance to the EPA's recently enacted greenhouse gas regulations - regulations that are plainly contrary to United States law. To encourage acquiescence with your unsupported findings you threaten to usurp state enforcement authority and to federalize the permitting program of any state that fails to pledge fealty to the EPA.
"On behalf of the State of Texas, we write to inform you that Texas has neither the authority nor the intention of interpreting, ignoring, or amending its laws..."
[...]
Signed
Bryan W. Shaw Chairman Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
Greg Abbot Attorney General of Texas
http://www.eenews.net/assets/2010/08/04/document_gw_01.pdf
I wish I had the popcorn concession...

This reminds of a case when the feds wanted to tell Texas how to run it's prisons (long story).
Judge told the feds (paraphrased): "There is Texas Law and there is Federal Law. Now get the hell out of Texas!!"
<<long story>>
story away
cj
HeyBub wrote:

I wish Abbott would run for governor instead of Perry.
RBnDFW wrote:

I was hoping for Costello.

For those of you who may not wish to wade through the details of this letter, let me summarize the issues in a nutshell:
There is a gas that plants love and use to live (Carbon Dioxide known as CO2) that all animals also breath out as waste. It is a minor trace element in the atmosphere. In large concentrations (where oxygen is eliminated) it can suffocate you and for that reason is sometimes used in fire extinguishers. But it is an important food for plants and part of earth cycles. It is also a standard combustion product of fires. It is NOT a "nasty" type of chemical pollutant such as the industrial waste products that the EPA usually deals with. It is something plants need and want to live.
A bunch of power-elite have cooked up a scheme to tax the very air you breath by asserting that CO2 is causing catastrophic global weather changes (warming). There is next to no evidence that such a thing is possible let alone happening, but nevertheless many scientific organizations, politicians (Algore) and media have been enlisted into promoting this taxation scam. The tax scam has been termed "cap and trade". Congress has shown next to no interest in passing it.
But in spite of scandal where the "international" climate committee (IPCC) was caught discussing faking data and how to "spin" science to support their stories, nevertheless the beat goes on. But given slowing momentum for "cap and trade" legislation, Obama decided to simply implement the plan by decree using his position as King of America.
So what was done was to have the EPA "declare" CO2 to be a "pollutant gas" and that therefore would put it under their "regulation". As you can see from the letter, they are demanding that all states submit to their authority to do this. Other than the fact it is obvious nonsense, so far few states have gone one way or the other. Texas, however, is blowing the whistle long and loud on this illegal scheme. This "backdoor" taxation scheme has been called into question by Texas A.G. Greg Abbot and we can only hope that ALL other states soon follow.
What can I say? GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!!!

Ostrich. Dumb ostrich. Read some other stuff, but not letters from politicians. Who knows, you might learn something. I'm not saying that the human generation of several times the norma CO2 concentration of the last several thousand years is the only cause of global warming, but look at it this way:
Your leg was hurting, so you started to hit it with a sledge hammer. Why continue hitting your leg with that hammer? You're claiming it hurt before you started hitting the leg and therefore the hitting has nothing to do with the pain you have now. Sounds stupid to me, but then I do have my leg in a cast because I slipped and broke it. But now I take care of it, and my sledge hammer is truly out of reach.
Have a nice day!
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

The amount of CO2 that humans have put into the atmosphere is unmeasurablly small. It is certainly insignificant compared to the amount of CO2 put into the air by mother nature.
There are several things wrong, criminally wrong, with one side of the current climate debate:
1. Projections are not proof of anything. 2. These "projections" are not only suspect, the data used to generate them have (a) been tampered with (b) disappeared, or (c) fabricated. 3. The climate scientists have, many believe, confused cause with effect. That is, the warming came first and it caused the increase in CO2. 4. There are better, much better, theories that explain warming and CO2 concentrations. The duodecennial variation (similar to El Nino, only of longer duration).* 5. The "fix" according to the GW enthusiasts is to forgo convenient energy use and either do without or curtail energy use dramatically. They want to return, at least in the short run, to a life that is painful, brutal, and short. 6. Even if, arguendo, humans cause CO2 and CO2 causes warming, it will be cheaper and better to deal with any adverse consequences than to try to prevent global warming. In many cases, humans would be BETTER OFF if the earth warmed several degrees (longer growing seasons, fewer weather-related deaths, etc.).
-------- * The duodecinnial variation is a result of the Pacific Ocean being a giant heat sink. The variation cycle is about forty years long. A warm earth generates more clouds. The clouds reflect sunlight and the earth cools. A cooler earth generates fewer clouds and the Pacific heats up. From 1940 to the late '70s, the earth cooled. Then the variation reversed and we are now in the "warm" cycle. We can expect the earth to begin cooling in the next few years as a result of this cycle.
If the GW alarmists have their way, they'll be glad to claim the normal cooling a result of their efforts.

humans have the ability to do anything that significantly reduces CO2. I'm assuming that deliberate global deforestation and crop destruction is not an option. --Wayne

reflect heat. But that would be inherently RACIST! At least that is what Obammao said.

Where did he say that?
There is, in fact, scientific information establishing that painting rooftops white would contribute enormously to our battle against green house gas. A very easy fix -- that most people will ignore, if they even know about it.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Best I can tell, he didn't. But his toady did. http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/obamas-climate-guru-paint-your-roof-white-1691209.html

This issue comes up from time to time on a home repairs newsgroup. The answer as to why people don't paint their roofs white - or use light colored shingles - is simple.
Look around.
Do you see ANYBODY in your neighborhood with a light-colored roof?
A light-colored roof will look like shit in about a month as it is discolored by the atmospheric crud settling on it.
On the other hand, commercial flat roofs COULD be light colored. This will have a sometimes significant effect on the air conditioning bills of the business.
On 8/9/2010 6:52 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/obamas-climate-guru-paint-your-roof-white-1691209.html
All of the new flat roofs I'm seeing are being sprinkled with the white granules you see on shingles. I got tickled when I saw the roofers using a home lawn care fertilizer spreader to apply the granules.
TDD

Errr...does the word "hose" evoke any fix?

Errr...does the word "hose" evoke any fix? No. That crap doesnt just rinse off. Homeowners cant go up every month to scrub the roof.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Plenty of conventional roofs around here with white asphalt composition shingles. North Texas
RBnDFW wrote:

I stand corrected. I see that GAF, for example, does indeed make a white shingle.
HeyBub wrote:

I think they are less common than they were in the 1970s, more due to style than anything else. My first house was built in 1972 with white shingles. The first re-roof was with a darker color.

Actually Wayne, one CAUSE of the rise of CO2 is deliberate deforestation! [Plants take in CO2 and give out oxygen] This nonsense mostly in the tropics has been part of world bank schemes that loan huge sums to Third World banana republics where they know it will be squandered and then later they come back to collect and offer to take the countries natural resources (say rainforest) to pay off the loans. As a result there has been HUGE deforestation of tropical rain forests. Why? You think maybe to build fine furniture or musical instruments? Nay. Sent to Japan to make plywood for cement forms for construction. And of course, the people behind the schemes that caused some of this problem are the SAME people promoting the energy tax scheme to "fix" what they helped cause! Typical.

OH MY GAWD! Do you realize that the deadly, EVIL gas, CO2, has GONE UP to ALMOST 38 parts per hundred thousand in lovely GAIA'S atmosphere? And SOON, SOON it will top FORTY parts per hundred thousand. AND THEN our lovely GAIA will turn into a flaming cinder as this nonflamable gas consumes the atmosphere!
BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!
And one way to aswage your WHITE GUILT over contributions of DEADLY CO2 would be to STOP BREATHING! Do it for GAIA!