OT? testing computer speakers with cell phone?

Page 1 of 3
OT? I think a craigslist guy I bought computer speakers from told me that one could test speakers without a computer by plugging them into a cell phone. So you can test them before you buy them, even if you don't have a computer with you and don't have the nerve to ask the seller to connect them to his computer.
Did I get that right?
Has anyone done it?
Does the plug fit the jack? (I don't think so. Some headphones came with an adapter but I'll have to look for it, so I'm asking first, and also to tell you about this.)

pretty much.
you might need to plug the speakers into power though.

millions of people have.

of course it fits, unless they're bluetooth, in which case nothing is needed.
were you expecting a 1/4" headphone jack?

Sure.

Or unless they're the wrong size.

There are mini and micro jacks and plugs. My Rocketfish headset, a mike and earbuds with ear hooks, won't fit my phone without an adapter**.
**So I know where it is after all.

headphone plugs have been standardized for *many* decades, but you can bring adapters just in case.

you weren't asking about headsets, but all of the headsets i've seen have standard 3.5mm trrs plugs and fit into any modern cellphone.
old flipphones had a 2.5mm jack but there are adapters.

But don't they sell new flipphones? Also 2.5?
Maybe these Rocketfish were old, I don't know. But they were enough to make me unsure. It was hard to find a headset with buds not connected by a thing across my head, and with earhooks, especially in stores, and I was happy to find one on ebay. I liked it so much I bought the remaining two, which came each in its box, but moderately beat up boxes. Another indication they were old. Very good price. And I figure they will last me 3 to 15 years.
So why am I about to buy Bluetooth?
You know what I haven't considered about the phone and bluetooth? The actual radio (not webradio or data-radio) in the current phone won't work without something like earbuds plugged into the jack. It displays a message on the screen insisting that they be plugged in. Will that be true of my much newer phone too?
I guess I could plug in simple earbuds and leave them in my pocket with the phone, and still find Bluetooth more convenient. One more thing to remember.

not very many, and they usually have just bluetooth anyway.
[]

[] If you mean ordinary FM radio, then probably yes: most small portable radios that are designed to work with earphones (including 'phones that have an FM radio built in) use the earphone lead as an aerial to help them pick up enough radio signal to work.

Just as many people feel Christmas hasn't begun until they've heard the carols
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 22:31:09 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"

I'm glad I thought of that, for me and my friend. I'll tell her.
On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 19:07:43 -0400, Micky wrote:

Probably: the cord to the earbuds/headphone serves as radio antenna.
HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

not probably. it *does*.
On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 10:17:40 AM UTC-4, nospam wrote:

I wonder if that is still true. That would mean that the radio feature could be used with a Bluetooth headset. If that is true, then the workaround would be to use a streaming radio app, such as Tune-In, which doesn't need an antenna.
On the other hand, I don't recall that any of my "newer" smartphones even came with an over-the-air radio feature. Why include a over-the-air radio feature when just about every station streams their content now?
On the other, other hand, I have a Bluetooth headset that has it's own over-the-air radio feature. It sucks, but's it there. (There's no "direct tuning" available, you have to rotate up or down through the stations using the volume up and down buttons. Did I mention that it sucks?)

tlvp's "Probably" was answering the preceding question, not qualifying the following statement. So it's "probably" that the "newer phone" will _display a message_ insisting something be plugged in; it's "definite" that it won't work very well as a radio if nothing is.

"Look, if it'll help you to do what I tell you, baby, imagine that I've got a
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 22:40:49 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"

Well, I have the newer phone now, and indeed it requires the earbuds, or at least something, to be plugged in. I plugged in a computer speaker that required AC, but didn't plug that in. Later i found a setting to turn the speaker on even if something is plugged in. Maybe because this is Android 5.0.2 after all. Android 2 didn't have this and I don't know about Android 4.
And probalby Bluetooth will work anyway also.
On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 18:49:17 -0400, nospam wrote:

And then there are the odd-ball connectors the headphones for older Nokias, and Erikssons, and Moto TimePorts, use: not tip/ring/barrel plugs at all.
Remember? Cheers, -- tlvp

there were a lot of proprietary connectors.
On 6/11/16 3:38 PM, Micky wrote:

Don't have the "nerve" to ask the seller to demonstrate that what he's selling works?
Grow a pair dude.

When it's a yard sale and his computer is in his house I'm not going to ask him. When it's Goodwill Industries and their computer is back in the office surrounded by everything else in the office and with their own speakers plugged in, I'm not going to ask them. Think about things before you go straight to insults.

What are you, a teenager, that you can't speak unadulterated English?
On 06/11/2016 12:53 PM, Micky wrote:

"Can I bring them back if they don't work?"

"I can't tell whether they'll work with my system or not; how about a buck for the pair?"
The phrase "How about $??" is frequently successful where other offers engender resistance. It's unargumentative and uninsulting. People get huffy when they think you're undervaluing their prized-but-no-longer-wanted possessions, so try to get across the idea that while their crap is of excellent quality you personally don't need it more than a buck's worth because you're just looking for a spare <thing>.
We once offered 50 cents for an oil filter that fit one of our cars. The seller's mom piped up "But it's never been used!" and the daughter just looked at her :-(
--
Cheers, Bev

i once was at a large department store that sold auto parts where someone tried to return a used oil filter.
that didn't go over so well.
On 6/11/2016 5:10 PM, nospam wrote:

I saw a couple Irish guys changing the oil on their truck in a Walmart parking lot. The slobs drained it right into the sewer grate.