OT Tempur-Pedic

Anyone tried one?

They never tell you on TV how much they cost, but after looking for them a little on the web, they don't seem to cost more than a regular high quality mattress.

Reply to
Metspitzer

And you can contact a local foam distributor and ask for memory foam - still cheaper.

Memory foam is excellent for even support without pressure points, but it is also excellent insulation - that's good in winter, but no so good in summer.

RicodJour

our king was about $3600. I'd say that was about twice a good spring mattress. But we love it. It takes a few days for the stink of the foam to go away, but it does leave. And they are certainly different to sleep on. Be sure to get a satisfaction guarantee, they may not be for everyone. Ours came from "mattress firm".

One other thing, it's the only way to get away from the hump in the middle of a king. The tempur-pedic's sit on a solid box. Not a box spring. So there's no give to the platform at all and therefore not a hump in the middle.

Steve Barker

Sounds kind of lonely. Where would the world be without a hump in the middle of the night? ;)

RicodJour

Here in New England we have Bob's Discount Furniture.

He has a private label brand at much better prices and we've had it for about three years now. Like it very much. Some people say they are hot to sleep on since it is a good insulator, but with the AC on in the summer, it is not a problem for us. I'd buy another.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

HAR HAR> I get it. berry berry funny.

Reply to
Steve Barker

We got a memory foam mattress from

It's an RV queen which we are "testing" for possible use in our house. The king sells for about $700. So far, we are happy with it. It is supposed to be their "cool" model, but it is warmer than a standard mattress. We have a standard mattress pad on it. Once we are ready to move into the new house, we will be getting a king model to put on a platform bed.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Try Primo international's memory foam beds. Just as good. And a lot less $$$ ... I have one and sleep like a baby. They also give you 2 pillows with it..Keep your old box spring and just get the mat..

Reply to
in2dadark

Right back here. I suppose.

Reply to
Zipperhead

I have the same foam bought in a roll as a bed cover, in winter you get warmer faster in a cool-cold room and need less room heat at night, in summer you will need the AC set to a lower temp then you would without the foam. I took off my foam cover last week and am alot cooler at night since I dont cool the house with AC much at night. Foams are great insulators. I also wonder if it isnt possibly unhealthy for you, your skin breathes-foam doesnt it seals. Get a cheap cover for 70$ and try it, its cheaper than a bed and easy to dispose of if you dont like it. Maybe in winter I will use it again.

Reply to
ransley

My King, with a wheeled platform, a couple pillows, covers, tax & set-up was about $2300 a couple yrs ago. [from Metro Mattress , I think they are just in NY]

I couldn't believe my wife picked it out. she likes a mushy mattress. I prefer a board. We both like the memory foam.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I tried one at a local store and then ordered the knock-off that Costco sells. I figured I could return it if I didn't like it. But I really couldn't tell the difference from a TP. I've had it for two years and still love it.

It's a bit odd sitting on the edge of the bed because it really does sink down, but it comes right back up when you get off. I've learned to sit back a bit futher to avoid that.

I also read about them being too warm but I never had that problem. This is my second summer with it and no problem.

Costco sells several different tiers - the difference is the top 5" or so, made up of differing foams. I got one of the more expensive ones, but it's still cheap compared to TP.

I think Costco now sells them in the stores.

They are VERY heavy. Lifting the mattress up to tuck the sheet under can be a bit of a struggle if you are lacking in arm strength.

Reply to
dgk