OT: temporary fan belt repair

Page 3 of 3
Aren't we living in the 2nd decade of the 21st century now? Haven't most cars and light trucks used a single serpentine belt to drive all accessories for about 20 years now?

Larry W wrote:

I don't know. My truck is 17 years old and has three belts. If a serpentine belt fails, isn't everything dead, like the starter, generator, AC?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not the starter, and the rest only if it only has ONE serpentine belt. Some vehicles have 2 - the second for either AC or PS or both.

Back in the 70’s I had a buddy that worked as a mechanic at a Cadillac dealer. They got paid "book rate" even if they got the job done quicker. They had a remote starting device that they clipped to the battery and starter so they could start the cars without climbing in and out. Changing a fan belt was done by cutting the old belt off, slipping the new on one pulley, holding the belt against the other pulley with a finger and "jogging" the engine to pop it on. Book rate was something like 20 minutes to loosen the alternator, change the belt, check the tension, etc. so it was worth money to do it using the shortcut.
He changed hundreds of fan belts the quick way right up until the time he caught his finger between the belt and the pulley. When he lost the tip of his index finger, they outlawed the shortcut.
<...snipped...>

The method is frowned opon by safety officials but is still in common use to this day. There are also small wedges & blocks, either purchased or fabricated, designed to force the belt on or off the pulley as it turns. They are also frowned on as occasionally they can damage something or be dangerous, but a flat-rate environment inspires all kinds of creativity & risk taking. :)

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
On 12/27/2013 11:00 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Serpentine or V-belt?
For either, pantyhose - really! - may work. For a V-belt, they make emergency multi-link belts; they used to be leather, now I think they are flexible plastic. Noisy, but better than no water pump for sure.
this is what I'm thinking of although I have no experience with that actual product
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Carry a spare? I used to throw the old one in the trunk when I replaced them (don't any more).