OT: temporary fan belt repair

Page 2 of 3

Daylights help for that - but you still can't see the blooming idiots from behind. Intelligent people who can't figure out that if they can't read their speedometer, people can't see their behinds either - - - - -
Oren wrote:

Lol...
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
On 12/27/2013 01:47 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

yes, in TX at least. They even have a limited number of 85 MPH speed limits.
The East Coast is getting a *little* better with about 50% of the states having 70 or 75 MPH speed limits which are fairly reasonable for the denser population, older roads, etc. but there are still a lot of places where you can't drive over 65 legally and 55 sadly still exists as a default urban Interstate speed limit, even when it's not even close to being appropriate, or the speed at which people actually drive.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 12/27/2013 2:19 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Heck we have morons who speed through Malfunction Junction at 85mph where two interstate and two older highways intersect in downtown Birmingham, AL. o_O
http://www.bhamwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Malfunction_Junction
TDD

Make and model of car? I had a '96 Bonneville SSEi where you had to take a motor mount off since the belt went around it. They were thoughtful enough to provide an access door in the wheel well, all you had to do was first take off the wheel. Not something I would have ever done on the side of the road.

Thank you for that URL!
That's EXACTLY the concept, no tools just put on.

I had something like this, round, about 30 years ago. I had it for 20 years, until it turned brittle and broke when I bent it. Never used it but it was good to have.

Absolutly. I drove 10 or 15 miles once with, I guess, no fan belt.
I drove a mile or two or four or whatever until the temp guage started to climb too high. Then stopped and waited 10 or 15 minutes until the gauge went down. Do that as many times as you need to.
Even on a summer day one can do this. It just takes a lot longer.
OTOH, shouldn't run without oil pressure, or with the oil light on, more than the time it takes to pull over.
On 12/27/2013 2:08 PM, micky wrote:

Do you remember the GM Northstar engines now out of production which were designed to switch into limp home mode upon loss of coolant and could be driven 100 miles in such a condition? ^_^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northstar_engine_series
TDD

The ones that you had to put rabbit pellets in to keep the coolant in them? Was in retrospect a good move on GM's part!
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 16:32:37 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Actually I didn't know aabout that.

I heard the word Northstar, but knew almost nothing about it.
From 1980 cars onward for 21 years I drove 3 Chrystler LeBaron convertibles. I would have rather driven GM cars but the Chevy Cavailier was stripped down, and even the Pontiac Sunbird wasn't fancy. I wanted a Buick Skylark convertible but never found one second hand. Whereas the Lebaron was pretty fancy.
I used to have stock in GM too, but when they went bankrupt, it became worthless. They're making a profit now but that doesn't benefit me.
I'm not holding a grudge. If they made a bigger or better convertible than Ford and Chrysler, that's what I'd buy next time. but they better start making it now, because I only buy used cars.

I broke a fan belt (long story) when it was -10F. By the time I got to the exit and to the service station (maybe two miles) it was boiling over. They wouldn't sell me a fan belt (the service part of the business was closed - 1AM) but they did let me change put the spare belt (long story), I was carrying, on under their lights.

On 12/27/2013 11:00 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Generations ago, people used nylon stockings.
I was a in a hardware, or maybe Harbor freight, yesterday. they had a build your own A dimension V belt, that was different links you could make longer or shorter.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/27/2013 08:00 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I have read that a pair of nylons work for a temporary fanbelt fix.
Jon

Cheapest thing is just to carry a spare belt.
harryagain wrote:

And all the tools needed to take the other belts off that are in front of the one you want to replace.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You missed my comment about it being trapped under a multitude of other belts. If the outside one, piece of cake.
Having a spare is nice, but you also need the tools to loosen idler pulleys to get the new belt on.
On 12/27/2013 12:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Ayup... useta be two wrenches and/or sockets... now it can be a PITA
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not sure how you would use a pita to change a belt - would a tortilla or some Naan do the job just as well???? <BG>
On 12/27/2013 01:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

[homer] Mmmm, garlic nan. [/homer]