OT: temporary fan belt repair

Page 1 of 3
Is there a short term fix for a 'thrown' fan belt?
Needed something that would run the water pump and the belt is waaaay inside a stack of other belts.
Out on the road, was impossible to get at and reapir., so is there a way to put something in there temporarily?
On 12/27/2013 10:00 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

Something like this should work
http://safetycentral.com/fanbelrepkit.html
That one is out of stock but they exist elsewhere.
OTOH: In this cold weather, if the repair facility is close I'm sure you could get there without getting the car overheated.
On Friday, December 27, 2013 11:03:24 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

Interesting device. I never knew any such thing existed. On the other hand in 4 decades of driving, I've never had a fan belt or any other belt fail. On any cars I've kept past 75K miles or so, I kept an eye on them and/or replaced them at 100K.
On 12/27/2013 10:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yep, I've been pretty good about getting them replaced before they go.
I did help my uncle out of a jam once when his belt went.
I told him to turn on the heater full blast and we made it safely to a repair station.
The only situation I ever had was on my '53 Chevy truck...when the water pump failed. It was one of those -20F days and I made it to my destination about 35 miles away . That was 1971 and I had a mechanic replace it with one out of a junk yard for a total cost of $15. Those were the days!
wrote in message
On Friday, December 27, 2013 11:03:24 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

That sounds like the link belt that is used on table saws. I put one on my saw. WW

Interesting device. I never knew any such thing existed. On the other hand in 4 decades of driving, I've never had a fan belt or any other belt fail. On any cars I've kept past 75K miles or so, I kept an eye on them and/or replaced them at 100K.
On 12/27/2013 10:39 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

There is a similar belt to that one which is not flexible and it's been around for years. It requires you to loosen the adjustment for tension, put the the adjustable belt on then put tension on it. The one in the link looks pretty cool because it stretches and no tools are needed. ^_^
TDD
philo wrote:

Amazon.com has only two reviews on these types of emergency belts, both bad. I read some other reviews on the web about these belts, none good.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

thanks for the 'heads up'
philo  wrote:

They have one for serpentine belts too: http://safetycentral.com/ribserbelrep.html
But if you're going to buy that, why not just carry a real one?! All you need is one tool for the tensioning wheel.

Dangerous, but I suppose if you need to get off the freeway it's a better choice than attempting repairs with cars whizzing by at 80 MPH.
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Again, the belt is inside a multitude of other belts, so takes more than 'slipping' a new one on.
You mention 80mph. Is that legal anywhere in the US? Reminded me of Johnny Carson's quip about the universal 55 mph law, "55 mph?! CALIFORNIANS change their TIRES at 55 mph!" and "If you wnet 55 here, you'd have to have a ramp up over your car!"
RobertMacy wrote:

Yep. Here in TX we have an 85 MPH freeway.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/speeding-texas-85-mph-highway-opens/story?id 549839
80 MPH is in many states. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_the_United_States
And just because the speed limit is 65-70 does not mean the vehicles are not going 80!
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
Oren wrote:

I've done that. If they (cops) are going slower than the flow of traffic and traffic is moving faster than the speed limit.. I will go with the traffic speed.
I took an advanced driving course because I worked for ADT and it was required. It was the "Smith System", considered one of the best systems in the country. I say all that to make this point: police cars are an obstacle on the road. The Smith System teaches us to treat police cars as an obstacle to avoid, they mess up the normal traffic flow because people naturally slow down when they close to one. It's best to get in the left lane and pass the cruiser. If you stay behind the cluster of cars following a police cruiser you are actually at a greater risk of getting in a collision (not an "accident" - it's a collision because it can be avoided). In fact, most "accidents" are avoidable - they occur mostly by bad, untrained, distracted, drivers.
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
On 12/27/2013 2:31 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

Like frigging idiots who text or dial a cellphone while driving?! o_O
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Yep, texting and driving is dangerous as hell.
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:52:18 -0600, G. Morgan

Even voice calls while driving are dangerous as hell.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Yup, and hands-free devices don't mitigate the danger. It's the conversation that takes the driver's concentration away.
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:54:08 -0600, G. Morgan

Time and place for everything. On a minimal traffic road in good weather, the typical "what's for dinner" call is not a big deal. Rush hour on the fast moving expressway is not a good time to make a tech support call giving step by step directions to defuse a bomb.

I see too many people, even in perfect conditions, yakking away, totally oblivious to everything around them, even crossing pavement lines and doing other incredibly dangerous things.
What's with the lack of turn signals anymore? I thought it was just the poor drivers in this area but on the recent vacation, it seems to be everywhere.

Doesn't that piss you off? People slow down and you have no idea what they are going to do, if anything.
Next are the idiots that don't turn on the headlight in bad weather. You can barely see the idiot coming at you in heavy rain or at dusk.

It *really* pisses of SWMBO. She then...

At least I can understand how that happens (been there a couple of times). I cannot understand the failure to use the turn signals. They should be automatic.