OT Target Hacked

Page 2 of 4
In article

Wonder how long it will take for someone to notice since DC have fees attached.
--
“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.”

I've been getting gas there for over 6 months, so who knows.
You would think that with any type of rudimentary accounting, they would have figured it out by now. Unless I'm one of very few people with know about it, the numbers at the end of the day wouldn't add up. When they compare the amount of gas sold at the cash price to the amount of gas related cash purchases at the counter, I'd think there would be a big discrepancy.
with any type of rudimentary accounting, they would

I don't know what the charges are for debit cards as I do not use them.
A station where I have bought gas for many years starting charging about 6 cents more per gallon for credit cards, but not for debit cards. I changed stations.
On 12/22/2013 6:34 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

They should discount for cash if the CC cost was built in. The cost for the CC is about six cents. Everyone likes the convenience of using plastic, but we don't want to see the real cost of using them. I wonder how banks build them big home offices.
On 12-22-2013, 21:38, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Three to five percent, depending on the card. Some of them also add a per-transaction flat fee.
--
Wes Groleau

There are some ideas so wrong that only a
On 12-22-2013, 12:45, Kurt Ullman wrote:

He used a PIN. Direct to the bank; no fees to the station. Using it like a credit card results in the CC processing fee. The bank likes that, because they get a portion of it. (Your "rewards" rebate comes out of that portion.)
--
Wes Groleau

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns
On 12/23/2013 1:02 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Aldi will not process credit cards, they will only let you use a debit card or the debit function of your bank card. I use my bank card all the time as a credit card, singing a sales receipt rather than using a PIN number. If someone stole my bank card, they would have to use it as a credit card until it was declined or turned off. ^_^
TDD

I never go to Aldi, but if all they take is debit cards I would have to leave the groceries at the store as I don't have a debit card.
I know several places that have a big sign on the door about not taking cards of any kinds, but state there is a teller machine inside for cash.

Aldi will take cash and debit cards, just not credit cards.

Typically those ATM's are the "generic" kind - not affiliated with any specific bank - so the transaction fee (anywhere from $1 - $3) is paid by the customer. In addition, it's typically the high priced convenience stores, like at a gas station, that employ that technique. You pay higher prices for each item, and then tack on another few dollars for the pleasure of paying that higher price.
I'm sure the store gets a piece of that action so it's a good deal for them, although they may lose some sales too. I'll drive down the road to the next place instead of paying extra because they force me to pay cash.

I have seen a few who state that policy but far more who don't.
An interesting twist on that is even with a CC, a similar thing is done. I've had a card rejected because one hold didn't clear the system before the card was used again. This has happened to me a couple of times, once particularly pissed me off because we were moving and driving both cars. I could fill one but not the other. Anyway, the CC company told me that they usually clear in a few minutes but it can take several hours for a transaction to clear.
On 12/22/2013 9:43 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I only know what my bank does with a Master Card tagged DC. They apply the same rules.

My bank never holds anything back. Some cards will put some money on hold for pay at the pump for gas. Some restaurants will put an extra 20% on hold so you can add a tip and be covered. As I said, maybe you need a better bank.

Given the problems with both DC and CC information being stolen, I now use cash for anything less than $200 just to minimize the number of transactions.
On 12-22-2013, 21:09, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And the extra vanishes as soon as they go back and type in the amount you actually wrote.
--
Wes Groleau

Alive and Well
On 12-21-2013, 16:44, Ralph Mowery wrote:

My debit card says "Visa" on it. One of the conditions for using the name, I'm told is that the legitimate user is not liable for ANY fraud. (USA law allows them to stick you with the first fifty bucks.
But my credit union goes even better. When I got cheated, I filled out a form and got the money back in a couple of days.

I know a guy one semester away from a Computer Science degree who wanted to turn off the firewall so he could play some game.
--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.

That is correct, as long as you do NOT use the PIN. If you use the pin, it's cleared thought the bank's networks, not VISA, so VISA doesn't insure it. Your bank may have the same policy (or may not) but if it's not a VISA transaction, the rules *are* different.

Yes, that's usually the case with CUs. The same happened to me when Horror Fright got hacked a couple of months ago. In my case, the perps didn't get the PIN, though I used it at HF, so the transaction was guaranteed by VISA. My CU just handled the paperwork (and go me a new card).

Amazing! I wouldn't even do that at home.
On 12-23-2013 19:29, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

It was at home. :-) Fortunately, _I_ control the firewall here.
--
Wes Groleau

He that complies against his will is of the same opinion still.

Oh, I thought you were talking about him doing at he place of employment. At home, I can almost understand it. People to all sorts of dangerous things with their own stuff. I don't have a real problem with it.
On Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:07:45 PM UTC-7, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Thank gawd that I have never shopped at TARGET and most likely will never do so.

Wrong. As long as the CC companies are paying for the fraud, *THEY* are the ones who can decide when it's worth it to tighten security. As a consumer, you are *NOT* on the hook. Legislation is *NOT* necessary at all.
SMS wrote:

Why more legislation? Any card with a Visa or Mastercard logo is protected from fraud by the bank. It may be inconvenient while waiting on a new card, but the loss goes to the bank and whoever mishandled the data. The US government does not need to intrude with more regulations. If the issuer is happy to take the hit, they are the ones that need to wise-up. Target didn't even have a reason to store the card info, to me they are solely responsible and I'm sure the banks will sue Target for all the refunds, time & labor, new cards, and other expenses related to making things right with their customers.
Heck, they should have named the store 'TARGET' with a giant bulls eye for a logo. They almost dared someone to try! ;-)
--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Agreed, with a couple of points of clarification. VISA and MasterCard only guarantee the transaction if it goes through their clearing house (as a credit transaction). If it's a debit transaction, the rules are different and it's up to your bank.
AIUI, the data was lifted in transit through Target's clearing house. They certainly did have the need for the data as it passed through. This (apparently) wasn't a case where Target stored data they weren't supposed to. However, they will still be on the hook for mishandling the data. It was a hack to their system (my bet is that it was an inside job).

;-)