OT Target Hacked

Page 1 of 4
The discounter Target had their site hacked. Something like forty million debit and credit accounts could be affected. Article here: http://tinyurl.com/mgv8pwe
On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 20:07:45 -0600, Dean Hoffman

AIUI, they got the PINs to go with the account numbers. That could really be bad for a lot of people.
On 12/19/2013 08:07 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Maybe it's a good thing I forgot to go there this season.
--
5 days until The winter celebration (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00
AM for 1 day).

My son had his debit card number hacked from Target. Wiped out about $ 600 from his account. I am not sure but thought I told him not to have a debit card, but have a credit card. While I think he will get his money back, it is going to take a couple of weeks. I loaned him some money so Christmas would not be spoiled for him.
If he had a credit account, they could just take off the charge or send it back to the store. Not so with a stupid debit card.
The daughter in law caught this empting of the account about an hour after it hapened.
Spent about $ 50,000 to send him to school where he took business courses. He is a senor annalist for softwear for a company and still let this hapen to him.
On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 16:44:38 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

It really doesn't matter all that much. If the PIN isn't compromised (i.e. the perp used it as a credit transaction), there really is no difference. Contact the bank and they'll take care of it through Visa, or whomever.

Not true. As long as the transaction went through the credit system, it's covered just as a credit card would be. If he compromised the PIN, he has to collect from his bank. A decent bank won't give you any trouble but don't count on the megabanks.

What's that got to do with it? He didn't "let" anything happen to him.

Oh, good grief!
On 12/21/2013 4:44 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

He needs a better bank. I have the same protection with my DC as my CC. Had the card stolen and used. My money was back in the next day.
On Saturday, December 21, 2013 11:27:13 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

me too my wife at the time dropped her debit card at a gas station, someone found and used it for 300 bucks. the system caught the fradulent use and shut down the card. bank called her and money back in a day or two.
I am now much better off divorced:)

Without the PIN, right? Without the PIN they use the CC (VISA or MC, normally) network. The rules for the CC networks are the same whether it's a CC or DC. The rules are different for DC used without pins (debit networks). The chances that the bank will cover it is still very good. It is sometimes more difficult to deal with banks than VISA or MC, though.
I had my debit card compromised by Horror Fright a couple of months ago. Since they didn't get the PIN, it was a simple matter of having the bank reverse the charge from VISA. They said that it would have been significantly more difficult if it had been their network. I try to not use the PIN at all, anymore.
Hopefully, the outcome will be better security, but I doubt it. No one seems to consider it to be a priority.
On 12/22/2013 12:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

can see why they would check out a PIN transaction. I imagine many of them are family members sneaking off with mom's card.
On 12-22-2013, 08:43, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My children are (I think) quite honest. But I still won't tell them any password or PIN.
--
Wes Groleau

In any formula, constants (especially those obtained

The non-PIN transactions are on VISA (or MC). The PIN transactions are on them (and you). Of course they're going to check them out. How they do this (and what they put you through) depends solely on the bank.

Maybe he does need a beter bank.
I don't know the differance if any for the rules of a debit card vers credit card. Just that he was told if it was a CC he could get his charge taken off right a way but for the debit card he used it would take about 2 weeks.
One thing I noticed that a DC can somehow hold more back than you actually use. That is if you buy $ 10 worth of stuff , they might put a $ 100 hold on your money. Do that at several places in one day and you are out of money. Not really out, but just lots of it on hold.
I'll still stick to my credit card that gives me a rebate.

Most gas stations do that for $75, although they all seem to have sticker on the pump (that can actually be seen) that indicate it.
but what they conceal is vital."
On 12/22/13 9:09 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

card's owner. I noticed it first in Missouri.

That has been going on for sometime in North Carolina at some stations.
Not sure what good it does, but a time or two that I hit the wrong numbers, I had to try again.

indicator of the good it does. Cloned cards are harder to use under these circumstances.
but what they conceal is vital.
On 12/22/2013 11:15 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Adds a layer of security. If you stole my card and don't know where I live, the charge will be refused.

I've seen it for at least five years in the SE. It's almost ubiquitous, now.

Yep. It's very low on the inconvenience scale and it does provide *some* security.

the stolen numbers come with the zip code of the card owner.........
my debit card got canceled, bank is sending me a new card. then must change all the auto card withdrwaws like my ez pass.....
read this mess might cost target over 2 billion in fines for running a not secure system 90 bucks per card adds up......

I found a gas station near me that has the cheapest gas in the area once the 10 cent cash discount is applied. The thing is, the pumps consider a debit card to be cash, so I don't have to have cash or go inside. Insert debit card, enter pin, and the pump sets itself to the cash price.
Sweet!