OT: Swiffer Wet Jet

Has anyone come up with a good concoction to use in a Swiffer Wet Jet instead of buying the refills? I've heard vinegar and water....not a pleasant smell.
If so, how did you get the cap off of the bottle and reattach it?
How about an alternative to the pads that it uses?
The Swiffer Wet Jet is a very good product, but the cost of the solution and pads are outrageous.

Windhield washer fluid, or make your own, some denatured alcohol, amonia, water, just a guess but its only water and cleaning solution and perfume.
Ron wrote:

I would try Simple Green, it's what I use in my Scooba instead of the special cleaning solution. Does foam a bit more, but otherwise it's fine.

Not sure but if you are cleaning waxed floors, I would not use ammonia. Ammonia is a wax stripper.
David

Nope, my entire home is tile, so I do a lot of mopping.
On Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:36:00 AM UTC-6, Ron wrote:

Hey, if you haven't yet found out, boil a coffee cup full of water in the microwave, put your empty swiffer bottle upside down, letting the cap soak in the hot water for about 5 minutes. Then use a cloth to twist the cap off. The hot water softens the seal and lets you get it off. I LOVE refilling those bottles! Saves SO much money! Also, I just use water and a couple of tablespoons of pine-sol in mine. Smells wonderful.

The price does not bother me so much as the cleaner itself. No matter what I do, it seems to leave a dull and streaky finish on any of my floors. I've used other cleaners with no problem, but I'll refill them with something good.
On 1/20/2013 7:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I've been just using a pair of gas pliers and opening it for years. No problem. The problem I have is laminate floors. Nothing I have tried works without leaving a haze. I have Googled it and have found lots of advise, but plain water seems to work well. Also, Swiffer has really cheapened their pads. They were much, much better when they first hit the market. But they are now thinner and don't seem to absorb the dirt as well. BTW, they have also changed the scent in their juice bottle and now they are more heavily perfumed. Back to the OP, there are several brands of Swiffer-type mops that have bottles that you can fill with whatever you like ... Libman for one, which I have. The pads are not as good as the original Swiffer, however, I have 4 of them and change and/or rinse them often while doing the floor.

For laminate floors, I use ZEP hardwood and laminate floor cleaner. There are other brand names also, available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

I have linoleum, laminate, and engineered hardwood. The dealer gave me some WisonArt cleaner that worked well and was mixed with water. Mannington had a spay for the hardwood, and I have an Armstrong product for linoleum. Perhaps one of those will work on all the floors and I can mix it up. Water does well on most though.
On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:43:53 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@live.com wrote:

About five bucks for a refill!! That's a lot of dough. Can't you pay for them with your food stamps??
On Jan 20, 12:43pm, snipped-for-privacy@live.com wrote:

Thanks for the info, but why are you responding to a post from 12/11/2008?

These seem to pop up once in a while, but they are often still of interest to many people. I never look at the dates, just the subject.