OT Surgery prices.

sure, they could just sell the pink slime as hamburger helper

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

slime, also known as lean finely textured beef (LFTB) [2] and boneless lean beef trimmings (BLBT)[3], is a beef-based food additive that may be added to ground beef and beef-based processed meats as an inexpensive filler.[4][5] It consists of finely ground beef scraps, sinew, fat, and connective tissue which have been mechanically removed in a heated centrifuge at 100°F (38°C)[6] from the fat into liquid fat and a protein paste.[7][8] The recovered material is then processed, heated, and treated with ammonia gas[1] or citric acid to kill E. coli, salmonella, and other bacteria. It is finely ground, compressed into blocks and flash frozen for use as an additive to beef products.[9][10] The term pink slime was coined in 2002 by Gerald Zirnstein, who at that time was a microbiologist for the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service,[7] but some state officials have objected to the nickname, saying that "lean, finely textured beef is the proper name."[11]

In the United States, the additive itself cannot legally be sold directly to consumers, but can constitute up to 15% of ground beef without additional labeling,[9] and can also be added to other meat products such as beef-based processed meats.[9] Prior to the invention of the disinfection process, beef scraps could only be sold as pet food or as an ingredient for cooking oil.[4]

that's not all! See, the problem when you turn garbage bits of animal carcasses into "pink slime" to sell as a food product is that there's an issue with pathogens, such as E. coli. And when samples of the pink slime were tested, the tests came back showing that the slime was rampant with harmful bacteria. Now, one might think that the best idea would be to decide not to sell pink slime to feed to humans, but there's no money in that, is there? So BPI cleverly started disinfecting the slime with ammonia. And convinced the FDA to allow them to list it as a "processing ingredient" so that we wouldn't know we were eating ammonia.

We're eating garbage, people. Literally -- garbage that's been "cleaned up" with ammonia and sold to us mixed with ground beef, shrink wrapped for convenience at our local megamart.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Okay, the OP was something about cooking, and I missed that as link to boiling off the fat. We aren't eating ammonia as it was long gone before being added. BTW: If we decided not to sell beef because of e. coli there would be a whole lot more stuff not on sale. The temporary addition of something that only increased the pH and killed the nasties should be touted as a good thing.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

It's good to see you haven't learned anything. I'd hate for you to hurt yourself.

Reply to
krw

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

...but you repeat yourself, endlessly. Idiots do that.

Reply to
krw

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Why are you so stupid? Did mommy drop you on what should have been your head?

Reply to
krw

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

How long are you going to slobber on yourself, Malformed?

Reply to
krw

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Obviously you're up for another day of slobbering on yourself, aren't you Malformed?

Reply to
krw

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

My, my, another original thought from Malignant.

Reply to
krw

IKYABWAI? how very cute. I love the humor you bring to this group, do keep up the good work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Yep, Malignant is sneaking into mommy's room again to use her computer. You should have been in bed hours ago, Malignant! Is mommy with her pimp, again?!

Reply to
krw